Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

The people making the extreme money from the price of fuel at the moment is the oil companies who extract it. Their costs havent gone up 50% in the last 3 months but what they get paid for the oil has.

Everybody else is still making the same few pence per litre that they always were.

When I was a kid, a good day out was pack up the motor with a picnic and set off early just driving. The destination was not important, the journey was as we three kids in the back played, looked out of the windows. Dad smoking a cigar would wind his down to rest his elbow outside,
Putting lots of miles on the car until we found a nice spot with a view to spread the tablecloth. Later as it was getting dark and we had burnt a good three quarters of a tank of fuel we arrived home. Dad said I will have to fill up again tomorrow, I don't know where all the petrol goes.

Historic times, the scenic run out may be dead.

I cant recall how much it cost in the mid to late 90`s but i remember driving around in a Golf GTI without a care about petrol price.

Now all i want is a car that does 70 mpg

I cant recall how much it cost in the mid to late 90`s but i remember driving around in a Golf GTI without a care about petrol price.

Now all i want is a car that does 70 mpg
It was between 50-60p a litre and I remember spending £250 a month then! The joys of having a long distance relationship with a girl in London :p

The vat is a percentage, at 20%, however the duty is static at 57.95p so its now about 43% of the price, but was back in 2016 around 70% of the price you pay (source) . I'm interested to understand how the rest of the markups work but haven't got to the bottom of it yet, this is quite interesting through https://www.racfoundation.org/data/uk-daily-fuel-table-with-breakdown as is this:

Even when I passed my test in the early 2000's it was 70p a litre. You could go very far on a tenner back then :p.

Its weird - I remember the utter outrage and mass protests and fuel station blockages, etc. when fuel went over £1/L until it went back down - now there is almost nothing in response to ever climbing prices.

EDIT: Though reading up on it doesn't seem like nationally it was as extreme - I remember around where I was living people were 24x7 blockading the main garages in town, etc. for several days.

I've been to two European countries over the last few weeks (Netherlands and Italy) both had the same shocking fuel prices as the UK. For example I saw 2.09 euros for petrol in Italy yesterday

Back
Top Bottom