Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

But I must admit it always surprises me just how many people live hand to mouth in this country and that was before the cost of living crisis.

I don't know how some are coping - who have genuinely stripped their life back to the essentials with the increased costs of the last few years before this latest crisis.

I've had to say to somebody before now that cant they borrow a fiver from their neighbour to get themselves into work?

Personally don't know my neighbours well enough to borrow a fiver heh, or rather the other way around - my neighbours don't know me well enough to lend a fiver.

If it makes you feel any better I was the main breadwinner for my family at age 18 when my Dad died of cancer. Oh, and the new house is £860k, the 3.0L is a Merc, and the Peugeot doesn't arrive till Monday.

Gate keeping relative poverty is not a good look, but you do you.
Cool man but your out of touch it seems.

Doubt you’d be spending your last fiver on fuel either mate. Have you ever actually lived in poverty?
Households are considered to be below the UK poverty line if their income is 60% below the median household income after housing costs for that year. This is currently ~£19200 per year for a family of four. This is why is is moot when whatever party in opposition claim x% live below the poverty line - because by definition there always will be, even if everyone was a millionaire (and I dare say soon we will be), there would still be people living below the poverty line.

Regular Diesel at 207.9 at Taunton Deane services

52163079246_9539d613a9_c.jpg

Electric seems the way to go it’s just the up front cost that is the problem.
If fuel costs keep increasing this may be something we do with the Tiguan. It’s mainly around town/shopping we do in it so electric makes a tonne of sense. Then again we only really fill it every other month so it’s not too bad at the moment.

Households are considered to be below the UK poverty line if their income is 60% below the median household income after housing costs for that year. This is currently ~£19200 per year for a family of four. This is why is is moot when whatever party in opposition claim x% live below the poverty line - because by definition there always will be, even if everyone was a millionaire (and I dare say soon we will be), there would still be people living below the poverty line.

Nope. All depends how household income is spread. For example. If everybody earnt £100k then the median would be £100k and so long as housing costs weren't excessive there would be nobody in the band whose incomes is 60% below the median.

So yes it is something which we should be striving to achieve than NOBODY is living below the poverty line.

One of the reasons more and more people are living below the poverty line is that income for a lot of people has hardly risen in the last 12 years and for many have declined in real terms whereas housing costs have spiralled.

With prices so high is it time to start thinking about an LPG conversion?

I used to run a converted big petrol Jeep. Worked well. Fuel economy was about the same as petrol, around 19mpg but with the price saving on LPG it worked out I was getting around 35mpg monetary wise.

Downside was losing the spare wheel as the tank went where that went.

Only around £2k to do a conversion and last time I looked at my local garage it was £1 per litre for LPG and there are 1100 petrol stations selling LPG across the country so not bad coverage.

Plus its not like you dont have a full tank of petrol to fall back on in case you cant find an LPG garage in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
If fuel costs keep increasing this may be something we do with the Tiguan. It’s mainly around town/shopping we do in it so electric makes a tonne of sense. Then again we only really fill it every other month so it’s not too bad at the moment.
Check out if your company offers a salary sacrifice scheme. It was a no brainer for me, especially with pension ages being so ludicrously high.

Back
Top Bottom