Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Thing is, looking at the make up of ocuk forum members, there will be people on here who spend more more on petrol in a week for their sit on lawn mowers than the people who are are putting only a tenner in their car to fill up.

But I must admit it always surprises me just how many people live hand to mouth in this country and that was before the cost of living crisis. I think the company i work for pays well but on the odd occasion the weekly wages havent gone in on a Tuesday due to a bank glitch, we have had people ring up saying they cant get into work the next day as they dont have any money to put any fuel into the car. These are people on £500-£600 take home per week as well. I've had to say to somebody before now that cant they borrow a fiver from their neighbour to get themselves into work?

We're having similar discussions at work. Our basic rates for the gents aren't great but they have become accustomed to more than doubling their salaries due to overtime. Unfortunately as a result they've bought things they can't really afford and as overtime hours are dropping they're now getting a bit tetchy.

If fuel costs keep increasing this may be something we do with the Tiguan. It’s mainly around town/shopping we do in it so electric makes a tonne of sense. Then again we only really fill it every other month so it’s not too bad at the moment.
Yeah I’m a long way off an electric car for it to make sense. Would need to do silly miles for it to make sense and we don’t. Misses drives it back and forth to work and I just rag it if I get a chance. Next car may well be but not for a while.

Have you never noticed LPG is not a "thing" in this country.... stations that have LPG tanks are getting thin on the ground, not increasing strangely enough, why do you think that is...
Low adoption. I do a bit of work in a garage that do conversions but they are never exactly chock a block with vehicles being converted. I’ll ask next time I’m in there though.

A few miles up the road would be junction 25 and just off the junction would be a sainsburys where the price is about 190.9p a litre.
For me that place has been rip off Britain for years. It is always top money for fuel, to the extent it feels 3-4p more than other service stations normally.

If LPG was that amazing, all the big car manufactuers would be pumping them out by the thousand

They do in some parts of the world, the problem in the UK has been availability which has got worse in the last couple of years. IIRC Dacia still sell LPG models from the factory though. https://www.dacia.co.uk/dacia-lpg.html

If more petrol stations sold LPG, I'm sure people would be interested in bi-fuel cars, particularly with current petrol prices.

1000 stations still sell LPG which is more than enough but sadly that number is about to be slashed in favour of EV chargers due to so few lpg vehicles in the UK.

Shame really as LPG is so much less polluting than petrol/diesel.

LPG sales had seen a renaissance/records in France last year, just need it to be available at UK service stations (as we will hydrogen).

1000 stations still sell LPG which is more than enough but sadly that number is about to be slashed in favour of EV chargers due to so few lpg vehicles in the UK.

Shame really as LPG is so much less polluting than petrol/diesel.
And with electricity going up. How are people expected to charge there cars?

O and how many people in places like London and Manchester have a nice driveway to park up there car to charge it at home?

Local tesco to me is now £2 /l for momentum (was only 1.92 yesterday) its a joke
Even the Supermarkets who usually use their petrol stations almost as loss leaders to bring in shoppers have realised they can also cash in. Its a shame not a single one has taken the lead and decided to even hold prices. Or take a small hit and take a few pence off to generate foot traffic.

My local Tesco dropped its pricing today!

From £2.09 to a steal at £1.99

And agreed with the Momentum. Our local had it in between unleaded and diesel. Now it's the same as diesel.

A friend who runs a haulage firm showed two receipts from the same station on the same day with no new fuel being delivered. It went up 3/4p over a few hours. Makes it hard to believe the retailers a feeling the pinch too.

Back
Top Bottom