Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

I'm temped to sell both of my cars, buy an eco banger and just give up cars as a hobby. EVs are already killing car culture anyway.

I suspect now that oil companies are getting away with these prices they are going to keep it there. The government cut fuel tax but they just take it as profit instead. Same with gas/electricity.
Curious as to how EVs are "killing" car culture? Are they not cars if they don't have an engine?

Curious as to how EVs are "killing" car culture? Are they not cars if they don't have an engine?
EVs are mostly boring and soulless. Most people aren't going to have the same emotional reaction to a EV as they would to car with a nice engine. It's like a nice Omega or Rolex Vs an apple watch . Just a piece of tech used as a tool day to day

EVs are mostly boring and soulless. Most people aren't going to have the same emotional reaction to a EV as they would to car with a nice engine.

Yet I have become much more interested in cars, and find them more appealing now they don't have annoying loud rattly engines. So some people will stop liking them, and others will start, weird that people have different opinions on things. :)

Yea, as above. I've always had a large interest in cars, but I've found a renewed interest thanks to the sudden EV explosion. I'm a huge admirer of internal combustion engines - such complexity, so many moving parts under great stress and yet made to be as reliable as hell. However, we now have vast amounts of instant power and torque with only one moving part with the added bonus of no longer spewing out fumes and carbon emissions (locally, at least). With the way the world is moving, it feels right to be in an EV.

EVs are mostly boring and soulless. Most people aren't going to have the same emotional reaction to a EV as they would to car with a nice engine. It's like a nice Omega or Rolex Vs an apple watch . Just a piece of tech used as a tool day to day

Whilst I agree with your sentiment on EVs being generally soulless and dull, there's still a community around them and lots of interest in trackday meetups and competition, so there is a culture around them, you're just not part of it.

EVs are mostly boring and soulless. Most people aren't going to have the same emotional reaction to a EV as they would to car with a nice engine.
they are improving as there is more diversity from different manufacturers, deficiencies seem weight (his kona weighs 300kg more than hybrid) and a 'happy medium' for traction control so torque is controlled and driver himself can balance grip/engine power and enjoy (characterful) rwd oversteer rather than fly-by-wire;
ev cabin design has become more traditional huray.
(there's no traction control in f1 for a reason, don't remember what formula e does - motorsport really defines what is a soul ?)

supermarkets don't want the stigma/bad publicity of selling above psychological £2/litre, hence their reticence (bbc aticle linked earlier)

if you need the load space, even occasionally I see the attraction, but otherwise not sure I understand that pleasure, with the driving dynamics and inertia the weight confers;
additional lateral visibility from the high driving - ok, also I guess if you have site footware/clothing the interior is more hardwaring/practical than a saloon.
driving must need more concentration too (overtake videos you posted), like driving an HGV

ok - another benefit
  • > Pickup road tax is £275 for 2021/2022
  • > Pickup benefit-in-kind is around £58.33 per month at the 20% BIK rate or £116.67 per month at 40% BIK rate
There are exceptions to this for double-cab pickups that can’t carry a 1,000kg payload (or 1,040kg if fitted with a hardtop over the load area);

With how busy the roads are these days driving dynamics are a so-so factor - especially if stuck in traffic I much prefer the higher up position for visibility and reasonable amount of room/comfy seats and while not specific to a pickup the original owner specced it up with an upgraded sound system which is much better than anything else I drive.

Maybe not the same people who like loud noises and pollution, but others will take over in their place.

especially if stuck in traffic I much prefer the higher up position for visibility and reasonable amount of room/comfy seats

No different to an SUV only with less room inside (Because the load bay compromises interior cabin space).

They are commercial vehicles and have limited value beyond that - I'd suggest that ones with nicer seats and a good stereo only appeared as a result of the taxation treatment of commercial vehicles. If it wasn't for that nobody would pick one over an SUV.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment on EVs being generally soulless and dull, there's still a community around them and lots of interest in trackday meetups and competition, so there is a culture around them, you're just not part of it.

EV track days I much rather tear my eyes out. Haha Lol. No changing gears and no sense of sound and occasion. Might as well play scaletrix and save some money.

When EV's drop in price and there are those with excellent range 500+ I'll consider it. At the moment, I'll enjoy my petrol car until it becomes uneconomically viable to do so.

When EV's drop in price and there are those with excellent range 500+ I'll consider it. At the moment, I'll enjoy my petrol car until it becomes uneconomically viable to do so.

Why do you need 500+ miles of range?

That’s the equivalent of London to Aberdeen or 9 hours driving non-stop.

Back
Top Bottom