Fuji X Series

Associate
I'm constantly trying NOT to sell my Nikon SLR and lenses to get an XT1 and Fuji lenses. But I keep resisting.
I love the freedom the X100T gives you as it's fixed focal length. I'm not constantly thinking 'which lenses shall I take?' or always swapping lenses depending on what I'm shooting. With the X100 you make the best of what you have.

I'm sure I'll cave in one day, but for the moment I'm resisting!

Do it, I'm not going back! So much more freedom in size, stack of cool features built into the camera but not sacrificing any quality in the shots!

I do understand that it is not for everyone ;)

Caporegime
I'm constantly trying NOT to sell my Nikon SLR and lenses to get an XT1 and Fuji lenses. But I keep resisting.
I love the freedom the X100T gives you as it's fixed focal length. I'm not constantly thinking 'which lenses shall I take?' or always swapping lenses depending on what I'm shooting. With the X100 you make the best of what you have.

Simple solution, just go out of the house with a single lens on the camera. I do that most of the time these days.

The advanear is the next time you go out you can use a different lens. One day with an ultrawide, another a tele , then a 35mm prime etc.

Associate
That also is a great way to do things D.P. When I got my first DSLR, I went out thinking I need as many lenses as possible... I then didn't know what to do with them... My way of thinking now is less is more, you learn more and work more to get the shot you want.

Again not everyone's way of thinking but I think I have truly found a place i love in photography again, after loosing it for so long and not even picking up a camera.

Caporegime
having a single lens, specially a prime helps you think about compositions, framing and subject and makes you concentrate on specific types of photograhy and helps you learn that you can't always get every shot. It simplifies the process which means you get a better focus (no pun intended) on the basics.

The downside is that you completely disregard everything to do with perspective. Zooming with your feet is not the same as changing focus lengths, and sometimes changing focus lengths is more important than simplifying achieving the same framing.

I combine the single lens exercise with a "10 shots in a day" rule to help me really think about the composition, subject, story, interest, mood, lighting. We all have a habit of forcing ourselves to take photos and going out snapping at anything and everything remotely interesting and come home with a load of photos which I will never edit, or will edit and never bother viewing again. I consider myself white good, often time I wont take a single photo, or I have 1or 2 from a days walk, but I still amass photos that I can't be bothered editing because there is simply nothing special about them. I would rather take 1 single outstanding photo in a year that get universal applause that I am extremely proud of than dozens of 'very good' photos. Of course if you do things commercially then the latter make more business sense. I appear to be in the latter group when I would prefer to be in the former.
Like the one lens rules this needs balancing with plenty of free exploration and trial and error. Its well regarded it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something so spending the ay shooting thousands of photos is not a bad learning experience as long is some level of thought, review and feedback goes on.

Associate

I did, and I haven't looked back. First I bought an X100S, which was then joined by an X-Pro1 (bought when Fuji did one of their fantastic 'two lens free' deals). Throughout this I had my 'serious' Nikon D800 and a bunch of (fantastic) premium lenses which I could never consider selling.
But then the unthinkable happened - after four months I realised I hadn't taken my D800 out at all. This coincided with the release of the X-T1, so I just bit the bullet and sold the D800 and got the X-T1.

It's been brilliant.

Simple solution, just go out of the house with a single lens on the camera. I do that most of the time these days.

The advanear is the next time you go out you can use a different lens. One day with an ultrawide, another a tele , then a 35mm prime etc.

I used to leave the house with a massive bag for the D800 and a few lenses. I'd constantly be juggling things, swapping lenses and risking dropping one, or getting debris inside the camera etc. Not to mention the massive weight of all this...
Now the X100S would usually come with me, along with the X-T1 and a single lens, or I'd take the X-T1 and X-Pro1 and have a single lens on either. All this weighs less than the DSLR did, plus I have the flexibility of proper 'live view' and a lighter camera for easier positioning.

Obviously if you're constantly shooting fast moving sports, or maybe very low light photography, then moving away from high a quality, fast full-frame prime setup will probably end up in disappointment, but for me it's been brilliant.
Now I just inwardly chuckle at all the 'gear slaves' lugging around massive ruck sacks full of gear "You're doing it wrong" I mutter inwardly at them :)

Last edited:
Associate
Well I love the IQ of the X-M1 and the quality and tech in these cameras. The focus peaking option is superb, but it just doesn't make sense to start on another lens system for me so keep an eye on the MM as my camera with kit, 27mm prime and 50-230mm free lens is going on sale :)

Any questions on my reasoning etc, happy to comment on here. I originally got it as an impulse black friday buy, it was then boxed up for a xmas present for my wife. Before we went out today to take the first snaps with it we decided it doesn't really make sense to start out on another lens system, we are better off sharing my Canon lenses and expanding that set so I'm probably going to compromise on a 100D for her.

Lovely bit of kit and I had to think hard about jumping off the Canon bandwagon and get myself a X-T1 to go ahead, ££ and the hassle of trading everything in just didn't make sense at this point.

Soldato
First off I'm loving my X100s. Totally n00bed out and was using it with 1.03 firmware for the first 2 weeks thinking that was the latest. Now updated to 1.20 :o

Anyway I'm looking for a bag for it but not found anything quite right. I want a smart looking case that matches the vintage theme. There are plenty larger mirrorless bags out there that fit the bill looks wise but I want something really compact that will take just the camera and lens hood (doesn't have to be fitted in the bag) and a spare battery.

What do you guys use?

Soldato
First off I'm loving my X100s. Totally n00bed out and was using it with 1.03 firmware for the first 2 weeks thinking that was the latest. Now updated to 1.20 :o

Anyway I'm looking for a bag for it but not found anything quite right. I want a smart looking case that matches the vintage theme. There are plenty larger mirrorless bags out there that fit the bill looks wise but I want something really compact that will take just the camera and lens hood (doesn't have to be fitted in the bag) and a spare battery.

What do you guys use?

Ever ready camera case on eBay.

olv

olv

Soldato
I currently have an X-M1 but second hand prices of the X-E1 are very tempting and I really want to try out an EVF model. Strangely, one thing I would miss would be the ability to transfer photos to my phone with WiFi. Does anyone know if I put an SD card with X-E1 photos on into my X-M1 I'll be able to view them and transfer them?

Soldato
Took x100s and Canon 550D on holiday for the last two weeks and ended up shooting about 3 pictures with the Canon. I really think I will sell my Canon and get a smaller mirrorless with some options for reach.

I actually enjoyed my holiday more not lugging the Canon about like usual.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay guys,

I have the 18mm f/2 and the 35mm f/1.4, if you were going to add 1 lens, which would it be?

The 90mm f/2 interests me, but the 56mm f/1.2 :eek: swoon :eek:.

Currently thinking about the 16mm f/1.4 (and sell the 18mm), and one of the above. What would you do in this situation? All used on an X-Pro1.

Associate
Hard to answer really, depends on your subjects and style. Samyang 12mm f/2 and Fuji 23mm f/1.4 are my go-to lenses. I occasionally use the 35mm for people and portraits and the 18mm rarely gets used (great lens though).

I'd love the 56mm, but it's a lot of money for a focal length I rarely miss... Anything longer than 70mm I'd probably use my Canon and 70-200 f2.8II, hasn't happened much though!

Soldato
I have recently joined the Fujifilm Family!
(After first starting off with Fujifilm F30, then Canon 20D / 40D, then Olympus E420 / E620, then Canon 5Dii again before a long hiatus and then Fujifilm again!)

Daddy's Back!
by Colin Jones, on Flickr

Would you?
by Colin Jones, on Flickr

I am happy with the purchase. It's a Fujifilm X-M1 paired with a 35mm f1.4 and I've got an 18mm f2 on its way this week. Going back to basic, travel, composition and straight out of camera processed image.

Thus far, the sharpness of the 35mm is amazing! I look forward to the smaller more street wondering worthy 18mm lens for my travel / wondering.

It's quite amazing the colours and dynamic range produced without PP, straight .jpeg, so I wirelessly save my images to my tablet, sharing straight to OneDrive and able to share / print / access anywhere.

Only thing I miss now is a viewfinder, the X-M1 lacks it but I got used to it within a couple of days.

Associate
Same lenses as me, Mr Jones ^^.

Great minds... Any idea what your next lens would be? I am currently pondering as per a few posts above.

I would like to here other opinions on low light performance; I am getting a bit frustrated with both noise at high ISO settings, and AF. I have an X-Pro1 with the 18mm, and the 35mm f/1.4.

Soldato
I have shot into the 3200, not found the noise troubling tbh.

Aiming for the 56mm f1.2 but it'll be awhile yet, going to enjoy my camera and lens before pushing for something longer and faster. Prime all the way as the lenses are so small!

Edit:

Also learnt a lot about the cameras auto focus, it's based on vertical lines. If you AF on anything that isn't contrasting off a vertical line, it hunts or fails. Interesting compared to phase focusing.

Last edited:
Associate
Always been impressed with the high ISO performance on my X-E2. Usually shoot in auto ISO with 3200 limit, and happily bump up to 6400 when necessary.

In Madrid for a long weekend and have used the 23mm 1.4 exclusively. Superb lens.

Back
Top Bottom