Fuji X Series

Soldato
Do you mean the tripod foot? You can't remove the ring but the foot comes off. I leave mine on as I find it sits nicely in the hand, it's also where I connect my shoulder strap.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
So far I've left mine on too, its an extra bit of something to grip if necessary or a platform to rest against an object

Edit: Rojin what shoulder strap are you using? I've been looking at the Sun Sniper steal for when I go travelling.

Soldato
I was struggling a bit using it. Because I had placed the lens on a XT10 I find I keep knocking the back panel dials which you can't lock. I thought it might have helped by lightening the load but the issue is simply due to the XT 10 being smaller and me having large hands. I'm sort of regretting not getting the XT1 because of this and am contemplating getting a used one with the battery grip. Problem is a new one is being discounted at the moment by Fuji and some places are offering a further one hundred pound discount bringing them down not far off second hand prices. On top of this the XT2 will be announced in June. Unsure as to what to do unless I take advantage of the hundred quid discount and part ex the XT10?

Caporegime
I'm looking at moving on from my Samsung NX300 in the next few months - Samsung have left the market and there's no decent long lens for wildlife. Where would be good to look in the Fuji range? Ideally I'd want something a bit less sluggish than the NX300 with better autofocus performance.

I'm currently slimming down my kit:

Have got:
NX300 body
30mm F2
50-200mm (underwhelmed by this lens - seems very soft)
12-24mm

Have sold:
NX3000 body
16-50mm
18-55mm

I'd be looking for a body/prime/longer lens. From what I can see is the midrange bodies like XE-2 or older high end bodies like the XPro1 are all 16MP and quite a dated sensor - mind you they are relatively cheap and would let me start collecting some glass but AF seems a little lacking on the XPro1 being contrast only. Only the XPro2 and upcoming XT2 have a newer sensor I think.

Last edited:
Associate
Just pulled the trigger on a excellent condition X-T1 with a 35mm 1.4 and 18-55 2.8-4 with all pouches, caps and hoods.

Shutter count just over 1k and also came boxed with 3 batteries, all original accessories and an Nissin i40 flash.

Paid just over £1000 so think I got a pretty good deal?

Just need to learn another camera system now! Has anyone got any links to decent tutorials for it?

Associate
Just pulled the trigger on a excellent condition X-T1 with a 35mm 1.4 and 18-55 2.8-4 with all pouches, caps and hoods.

Shutter count just over 1k and also came boxed with 3 batteries, all original accessories and an Nissin i40 flash.

Just need to learn another camera system now! Has anyone got any links to decent tutorials for it?

Not a great deal, if I'm being honest, Bought entirely new, with current cashback offer you'd be looking at approx. £1300. But, the X-T1 is a fun and well-made camera to use, so enjoy !

Don't have any specific links to resources on how to use it, but if you do a search on YouTube there is plenty of info out there ...

Associate
Not a great deal, if I'm being honest, Bought entirely new, with current cashback offer you'd be looking at approx. £1300. But, the X-T1 is a fun and well-made camera to use, so enjoy !

Don't have any specific links to resources on how to use it, but if you do a search on YouTube there is plenty of info out there ...

Ah, OK. I priced the parts up through Amazon and it came to about £1600. Didn't think about cashback.

Still happy though as it's all hardly been used and I only only had that much to spend anyway :D

It was exactly the set up I was looking for as for my uses they were the only lenses I required. Although I'm considering replacing the 35mm 1.4 with the F2.

Soldato
Ah, OK. I priced the parts up through Amazon and it came to about £1600. Didn't think about cashback.

Still happy though as it's all hardly been used and I only only had that much to spend anyway :D

It was exactly the set up I was looking for as for my uses they were the only lenses I required. Although I'm considering replacing the 35mm 1.4 with the F2.

Taking in to consideration what has been said before, I'm sure the use and fun you'll get out of it will far exceed what it is you paid. It was along those lines I went from the XT10 to XT1 (instead of waiting for the XT2)

Soldato

There are a couple of tip books. I just picked up the 111 X-Pert Tips from Rookynook by Rico Pfirstinger off Amazon for eight quid. In case I'm missing something. The other book is more indepth and more expensive.

Associate
Taking in to consideration what has been said before, I'm sure the use and fun you'll get out of it will far exceed what it is you paid. It was along those lines I went from the XT10 to XT1 (instead of waiting for the XT2)

Yeah, I can see this set up lasting me for a very long time. I considered the Xt10 but thought I'd just jump straight in with the XT1. I wanted something that gave me plenty of room to grow in to as well.

There are a couple of tip books. I just picked up the 111 X-Pert Tips from Rookynook by Rico Pfirstinger off Amazon for eight quid. In case I'm missing something. The other book is more indepth and more expensive.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Soldato
Yeah, I can see this set up lasting me for a very long time. I considered the Xt10 but thought I'd just jump straight in with the XT1. I wanted something that gave me plenty of room to grow in to as well.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Forgot to provide the title of the other book. Try to find it cheaper or if you are able, use a digital version: The Complete Guide to Fujifilm's X-T1 Camera (B&W Edition) Paperback – 17 Sep 2014
by Tony Phillips (Author)

Associate
What's the consensus about the best image processing software for Fuji raw files?

I've always used Lightroom with previous cameras but have read a lot of information stating it is less than ideal for Fuji RAW files.

RaV

RaV

Associate
What's the consensus about the best image processing software for Fuji raw files?

I've always used Lightroom with previous cameras but have read a lot of information stating it is less than ideal for Fuji RAW files.

I normally just use lightroom or PhotoShop unless its a landscape photo I might print at some point.

Both SilkyPix and Photoninja seem to be able to get that extra bit more detail out of the raw files. Just a pity that they are not as easy to use as Lightroom or PS.

For detailed work Id develop the raws in one of the above programs and then get them back to LR or PS asap ;)

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I normally just use lightroom or PhotoShop unless its a landscape photo I might print at some point.

Both SilkyPix and Photoninja seem to be able to get that extra bit more detail out of the raw files. Just a pity that they are not as easy to use as Lightroom or PS.

For detailed work Id develop the raws in one of the above programs and then get them back to LR or PS asap ;)

Now this leads to the question which one is better SilkyPix and Photoninja as they are both priced similar?

Associate

Thanks.

If there isn't too much difference then I'll probably just stick to LR. I'm used to that now and most of my photos are just for family photo books really.

RaV

RaV

Associate
Now this leads to the question which one is better SilkyPix and Photoninja as they are both priced similar?

We'll I'm just using the Silkypix(raw converter not studio) from the Fuji website, which is free.
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/rfc/

To my eye I cant really tell the difference between the two. The benefit of Silkypix is that it has the Fuji colour profiles. Its also easier to use, while PhotoNinja is rather fiddly and its hard to know which settings are the best to use without some research.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
We'll I'm just using the Silkypix(raw converter not studio) from the Fuji website, which is free.
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/rfc/

To my eye I cant really tell the difference between the two. The benefit of Silkypix is that it has the Fuji colour profiles. Its also easier to use, while PhotoNinja is rather fiddly and its hard to know which settings are the best to use without some research.

Thanks Rav I wasn't aware there was a free Fuji version :)

I'll give it ago!

Back
Top Bottom