Fuji X Series

Associate
10-24mm.jpg

This is definitely last lens for me, for now :)

Associate
The Samyang 12mm was going to be my choice as well, but the OIS, zoom and auto focus did it for me although the manual focus on the Samyang wouldn't have been a problem.

Associate
That's right, most of the time I'll just set it and P&S I think.

I should be able to get out at the weekend on the moors so looking forward to seeing what results I get.

Post some pics...

Worth spending 10 mins double checking where infinity is- on mine the mark is off by a few mm. It's possible to correct it but for the moment I've marked infinity with a permanent marker.

Associate
Post some pics...

Worth spending 10 mins double checking where infinity is- on mine the mark is off by a few mm. It's possible to correct it but for the moment I've marked infinity with a permanent marker.

Arrived today so I'll post some pics at the weekend hopefully.

I've heard that the mark can be off slightly so I'll look out for that, thanks.

Soldato
I've just noticed an XE-2 from a very reputable retailer for £399. Is this a good price? Seems too good to be true when everyone else seems to be charging a lot more.

I was going to invest in the XT-1 but I need a replacement camera ASAP and the XT-2 is due out soon. So my thinking is to buy the XE-2 in the mean time. It seems to be pretty much the same camera as the XT-1 so at that price it strikes me as a bargain!

Associate
Thinking about it, what is the best way to check for infinity focus?

There's probably a better way but this is how I did it- I marked off a fine scale on some masking tape and stuck it to the focus dial around the infinity mark. Then with the camera on a tripod I took a sequence of pics of a distant building slowly moving the dial each time, and taking a pic of the dial each time on my mobile.

Then I just chose the sharpest photos and noted the corresponding mark.

Wouldn't worry too much though, there's plenty of leeway in focus with this lens even wide open.

Soldato
Going to grab the XE-2 body for now until the XT-1 comes out.

I've not got any trips coming up but in a few weekends time I'm going on a driving trip to Wales with some friends/colleagues. Could anyone recommend a decent lens for this? I won't be taking any action shots it'll mostly be the cars stationary amid the scenery/landscapes. Thinking of a wide-angle fixed lens, I remember reading earlier in the thread about a "Samyang?" 12mm which apparently is very good value. Any ideas?

Thanks

Associate
My two "Go to" lenses are the Samyang 12mm f2 and the Fuji 23mm f1.4. I bought an X-E1 so I can have both available without swapping (the Samyang is manual focus, so the X-E1 has no disadvantage)

After that the 35mm f1.4 is an epic 50mm equivalent, and the 18mm f2 is cheap(ish), compact and versatile.

Associate
Going to grab the XE-2 body for now until the XT-1 comes out.

I've not got any trips coming up but in a few weekends time I'm going on a driving trip to Wales with some friends/colleagues. Could anyone recommend a decent lens for this? I won't be taking any action shots it'll mostly be the cars stationary amid the scenery/landscapes. Thinking of a wide-angle fixed lens, I remember reading earlier in the thread about a "Samyang?" 12mm which apparently is very good value. Any ideas?

Thanks

The Sanyang 12mm is a great lens for sure, but the 23mm f1.4 is a much better all round lens. My 23mm is hardly off my X-T1.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anybody think Fuji will dumb down any future focusing improvements to the XT1 due to the imminent release of the XT2?

Fuji's continued demonstration of the principle of Kaizen would suggest it's extremely unlikely.

Just after the X-E2S launch they released firmware for the X-E2 that gave it identical features (barring "Auto" scene mode, an extra OIS mode and ISO 51200)

Soldato
Fuji's continued demonstration of the principle of Kaizen would suggest it's extremely unlikely.

Just after the X-E2S launch they released firmware for the X-E2 that gave it identical features (barring "Auto" scene mode, an extra OIS mode and ISO 51200)

I'm hoping for similar auto focusing upgrade to the X-pro2 then for the XT1. This might persuade me to hold off immediately purchasing the XT2 The article in this weeks Amateur Photographer clearly shows that the XF100-400mm benefits more from the Xpro2 than it does the XT1 though both were less than ideal. I don't know if this is representative of all XT1's or X-pro 2 cameras as I haven't heard about these issues from anybody else:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/fujifilm-xf-100-400mm-f4-5-5-6-r-lm-ois-review

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom