Fuji X Series

Caporegime
I'd like to know how Wex are allocating stock since I pre ordered in August for the Grip and the body and got told today I was only receiving the body after querying the order by phone?

I haven't even received the email from them explaining they have said they sent advising cameras have had to be sent to some customers without the grip, save holding their orders back until they received more stock?

When I payed for both items a few days ago they sent me an email receipt stating both items were in stock and had been allocated to me? Bit disappointed its arriving without the grip.

Its really not the end of the world mate, and grips have been delayed for many people, the grip makes hardly any difference to you being able to play with and learn the camera so just have a little patience.

Caporegime
Nice images. I am really looking forward to the X-T2 for the extra cropping power that the 24MP sensor gives. With 16MP it was much easier to hit the quality limit.

Soldato
I'm still waiting. It's like torture since its been out on the van for delivery since 7:30 this morning. The depot is only 2 miles from me so if it doesn't get delivered I'll be aiming to go over to pick it up. Hope you get yours Sniperone asap.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, after being able to wait no longer for my local store to list it, I caved in and bought it from a rival store for the equivalent of £1350 including 18-55mm lens. I really think that is a great price, and it is around £150 cheaper than the competition, which basically pays for my 2x Lexar 64GB 2000x SD cards. Next purchase will be the battery grip when it comes in stock, but no rush there.

I should receive the X-T2 on Friday 14th September... almost a week. Ahh well, at least it's ordered. :)

Soldato
Sadly I dont have the budget to stretch to the X-T2 but Im looking at the X-T10. As a total novice to photography will it be a good camera to start out with? I was possibly looking at a DSLR camera but I think it will end up gathering dust compared to a smaller camera. The X-T10 and the kit lens is really going to max out my budget although I did see this deal on Jessops which includes the kit lense and a 50-230mm lense....

Is that the best route to go or would a second hand X-T1 be worth looking at and then finding a kit lense to go with it. The kit lenses seems to be hard to pick up as they arent on mpb or Wix from what I could see?

A quick question regarding mirrorless cameras in general - I read somewhere that because of the design the zoom on the lense is further than it would be on a DSLR camera? Not sure on the correct terminology there but hopefully you follow what I mean.

Associate
Ive gone from a D300 to an X-T10 and for the limited time I've used it the results have been excellent. Used it in Eurodisney last year and in France 2 weeks back. More than happy with the jpg's it produces, as you can see from a couple of posts up.

Soldato
A quick question regarding mirrorless cameras in general - I read somewhere that because of the design the zoom on the lense is further than it would be on a DSLR camera? Not sure on the correct terminology there but hopefully you follow what I mean.

For fuji the sensor is the same size as most entry level and prosumer DSLRs (APS-C). The difference is the pro DSLRs like the canon 5d etc have a full frame sensor which is 1.6 times bigger.

This means if you put say a 50mm lens on a fuji the field of view (i.e how much of the world is in the picture) is 1.6 times smaller than it would be on a full frame camera because the sensor is smaller. This makes it look 1.6 times more zoomed in.

Threrefore to get the equivalent field of view on the fuji you need about a 30mm lens (50/1.6).

So on fuji the kit lens might be the 16-50. On full frame the same sort of lens would be 24-80ish

You don't really need to think about it when you have settled on a camera particularly with fuji as they only make one sensor size. But it pays to know if you want to compare systems. Micro 4/3 cameras like panasonic and olympus have a crop factor of 2 instead if 1.6 so they will be even more zoomed in.

This might seem like a good thing as you can get more zoom with less size and weight but the trade off is slightly lower image quality (arguable) and it's harder to create background blur, but between fuji and a typical dslr at that price range there is no trade off here as they will have the same sensor size.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly I dont have the budget to stretch to the X-T2 but Im looking at the X-T10. As a total novice to photography will it be a good camera to start out with? I was possibly looking at a DSLR camera but I think it will end up gathering dust compared to a smaller camera. The X-T10 and the kit lens is really going to max out my budget although I did see this deal on Jessops which includes the kit lense and a 50-230mm lense....

Is that the best route to go or would a second hand X-T1 be worth looking at and then finding a kit lense to go with it. The kit lenses seems to be hard to pick up as they arent on mpb or Wix from what I could see?

All I can say is I had both and they are both great cameras. I moved from the XT10 to the XT1 because I needed the battery grip. When using large lenses on the XT10 my fingers kept accidently knocking the buttons. I still have the XC50-230 because it is light. I had no complaints about the XC16-50 either. What I would say is go into a camera shop and try both of them out before deciding.

Soldato
Suspended
Love him or loath him the Angry Photographer review of FUJIFILM X-T2: Viewers Request X-T2 vs. Nikon D500: Reasons & Logical comparison 1 of 18 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozQw70MM1A

Low light focus claim on the XT2 to be a little better than the D500 but generally on a par with it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpYhtpVb6Ps

Third party review using the 35mm F2 on the XT2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOQw7ZF9FcI

His voice grates. He's Cartman personified.

Caporegime
His voice grates. He's Cartman personified.

Voice, manner, attitude, he is not the most charismatic Youtuber.

However, credit to the guy for all his hours spent testing stuff, though I really don't like how subjective his videos are. 90% of his time is spent just sitting there rambling and cackling to himself in his enthused and excitable way at great length saying how awesome the features are, instead of actually providing evidence we can watch.

Back
Top Bottom