Fuji X Series

olv

olv

Soldato
Having had some more time with my X-M1 I thought I would write a bit about my experience switching from an SLR, Canon 30D in my case, as others may be considering the same.

One of the biggest differences is the physical size. I've been using the 35mm f/1.4 exclusively and whilst it's a chunky combo it's so much more portable than an SLR and importantly less obvious. It will fit in a jacket pocket which means I don't mind carrying it around.

The image quality is really superb, the 35mm is a cracking lens, sharp across the frame wide open and the high ISO performance is still impressing me but then I'm coming from a very old body. Compared to the Canon files I'm used to the Fuji just produces a really nice tonal quality and you don't get the horrible colour noise and banding in shadows.

Other things I'm finding really useful are Auto ISO, setting max ISO and minimum shutter speed and away you go in aperture priority. The manual aperture ring I'm also loving. The flip out screen allows you to do really inconspicuous street photography and take shots I wouldn't have normally thought of.

I do miss having a view finder, I would like to have a go with an X-E1/2 or X-T1 and may add one of these to the lineup in the future. Whilst the auto focus is good and certainly fast enough for day to day shooting it's not as intuitive as my 30D was but it is accurate. It also absolutely sucks at focussing on stuff within 50cm unless you specifically put it in macro mode which annoys me.

Something that has surprised me how much I've used it is the ability to quickly send photos to my phone over wifi, it's brilliant for messing with photos on the fly for emailing and instagramming. Overall I'm really pleased I made the switch. I haven't spent any time with the kit lens or shot any landscapes so look forward to see how it performs.

UEEJbB6.jpg
ISO800, f/1.4, 1/100s

Oko9Xop.jpg
ISO200, f/4, 1/180s

AQe61aI.jpg
ISO200, f/1.4, 1/750s

FRANOG8.jpg
ISO5000, f/2, 1/100s

wUAHv1F.jpg
ISO200, f2, 1/240s

Associate
OP
Nice write up and photos OLV.

I still havn't had the chance to shoot outside with my 35mm, however i've had 2 birthday shoots and again 1 coming up today. Because it is indoor shooting between ISO 2000 - 3200, locking focus at f/1.4-2 is a challenge.

For some reason shooting in EVF mode focus is more accurate.

Last edited:
Associate
X-M1 with free 50-230m lens offer is tempting.

I can sell both lens (16-50mm + free lens) for something like 35mm f1.4 and one more lens so I can get £300 cashback offer, if I do decide to go for it, what would be a good lens to go with the 35mm? I've been looking at 60mm f2.4 R Macro, worth it?

Soldato
I have to say the X-T1 looks like a good step forward and I could see myself going down this route... in a few years maybe. The rangefinder style wouldn't do for me, but the digital viewfinder looks pretty good. My main concern is battery life though...

TJM

TJM

Associate
Here are a few shots from X-M1 and the 27mm, which is a great combination for shooting without drawing attention:

7wrF3QW.jpg

ka7k4jI.jpg

f0eBCG1.jpg

olv

olv

Soldato
where was this deal for X-M1 for £220 ???
was it for body only ?

am looking for one of X series now and XM1 is my first choice.
Thanks

The offer finished Jan 16th. The X-M1 kit with 16-50mm was £420 + £100 voucher + £100 cashback. My cashback hasn't been processed yet but all in the X-M1, 16-50mm and 35mm 1.4 will have cost £530.

Current offers are here http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/promotions/ ... must not buy 14mm and 23mm...

TJM

TJM

Associate
The current offer of an X-M1 (with the XC16-50mm) plus a free XC50-230mm is good, especially since the XF zoom lens is a bit stupid looking and unbalanced on the X-M1.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
The current offer of an X-M1 (with the XC16-50mm) plus a free XC50-230mm is good, especially since the XF zoom lens is a bit stupid looking and unbalanced on the X-M1.

XC50-230 sells for about £300 as well... would make the actual camera very cheap.

Associate
I just ordered the baby of the range, the X-A1. My old 5mp advanced compact died, and I kept promising myself a DSLR at some point but the size of the things made me look to this as an alternative. The old camera had a high amount of manual control for what it was, a Sony DSC-W12, and since it packed up I have been getting upset with the inability of a phone or tablet to take a photo worth keeping. They might be stuffing 5 or even 8mp into a phone these days, but they still can't compete with even a basic dedicated camera.

What actually convinced me though was the free lens offer, where with this model they are offering the XF27mm. It looks small enough with this lens that I should be able to safely stash it when snowboarding, but mostly keep in in my jacket no matter what I'm doing. I was put off an SLR also by the way such cameras seem to lead to being tied down with equipment...

Associate
So I thought I completely screwed up a shot yesterday, turns out that the X-Trans RAW holds a fair amount of shadow detail (it was a four stop push):

QqlzDLF.jpg

Back
Top Bottom