Fuji X Series

Associate
Im looking to upgrade from my X10, I want to keep a real viewfinder, mainly travel photog, x100 looks tempting but not sure on being limited by the fixed lens

any suggestions?

Associate
Well I went for it, with the 18mm f2, and will send for the 35mm free. Oh and a beer to celebrate. Loving it so far, and the wifi is genius ...

Feels fantastic in the hand, the EVF is superb, and 18mm with no zoom is strangely liberating.

wA14CEOl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
After borrowing a friends X100 the other day I've been considering dropping my SLR for a x-pro-1, 35mm and 23mm, has anyone got one and how do you feel it fairs on low light af with the new firmware?

Soldato
I decided to stop chasing lenses last year and just bought an X100, I accept that there are shots I won't get anymore, but the restriction is also liberating.

I bought an X100S a month ago, as I needed to have the option of something smaller than a DSLR, better than a camera phone, but also with more control over taking your images and good quality than a compact.

Going by the reviews from Pro Photographers who use it, most seem to have it as their go to camera when they aren't shooting something which requires big gear. The camera also pretty much begs for you to shoot with it as well due to the aesthetic, plus its a great camera for everyday and on the street because it doesn't scream Photographer as much as large kit.

I took a trip abroad just recently and while I was planning to take my 5Diii and a selection of lenses, in the end I decided I'd take just the X100s so that I could really get to grips with it and see how having just the 35mm focal length worked out.

I've got to admit it was perfect.
The only time I missed my DSLR really was twice. The first was the fact that there was a total lunar eclipse I didn't know was happening, and the second was spotting some whales way in the distance. All would have required me to have long lenses and extenders anyway, which I wouldn't have taken even if I had taken DSLR kit away with me.

I like that I can keep the X100 in my bag, so I can have it with me in a lot of situations.... compared to my DSLR which I won't lug around unless I'm actually planning to shoot something. It also shoots really nice jpegs with great film Fuji Film simulations. One thing I find is that with general snaps, when shooting RAW, I find I end up realising I spend far too much time then processing them. With this I have the option to shoot both, then just access the RAWs if I feel I really need too.

I ought to post some shots really! :)

Associate
X-E2 firmware 2.00 is out. Reduces EVF lag, adds coloured focus peaking, and face detection and display setup are now assignable to the custom buttons.

Still doesn't address my biggest bugbear- when shooting with EVF only, I should be able to specify that playback is on the LCD so I can chimp, but it's an improvement over digging into the menus.

Associate
Decided to sell some canon gear and buy the X100S

14132518894_bc73a58972_c.jpg

Associate
Very tempted to chop in my d5100 with kit lens and 35mm prime to move to the X-E1 with 27mm + 16-50mm lens (£529). I find the dslr to be a bit bulky and I'm self conscious doing anything on the street. This looks a little more discreet without sacrificing anything.

One thing holding me back a little is the 27mm 2.8. I'm not sure it's going to be able to replace my 35mm 1.8... Although the ISO performance does mean that I'd be able to compensate a little in low light. Any thoughts? I'd love the 35mm 1.4, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get one cheap enough.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the 16-50mm bundle counts as a kit for the free lens promo?

Last edited:
Associate
Very tempted to chop in my d5100 with kit lens and 35mm prime to move to the X-E1 with 27mm + 16-50mm lens (£529). I find the dslr to be a bit bulky and I'm self conscious doing anything on the street. This looks a little more discreet without sacrificing anything.

One thing holding me back a little is the 27mm 2.8. I'm not sure it's going to be able to replace my 35mm 1.8... Although the ISO performance does mean that I'd be able to compensate a little in low light. Any thoughts? I'd love the 35mm 1.4, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get one cheap enough.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the 16-50mm bundle counts as a kit for the free lens promo?

No I think the zoom kit is the 18-55 but may be wrong....

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/promotions/

Bear in mind the Fuji 23mm f1.4 (35mm equivalent) is an epic lens, but not cheap, and not included in any promos. The 35mm f1.4 (50mm equiv) is available as a free lens, I'm waiting for mine.

There's always the feeling that another deal is just round the corner.....

Associate
It's fine. After a little reading, I could probably with switch to the 27mm 2.8 for everyday use and save for a 3.5mm 1.4. I can also get an adapter ring if I feel it'll be an issue. My biggest problem is one of funds, sadly.

Associate
I'm just loving this camera. Over the last week I've been shooting JPG, simply because the output is so good, especially with the Velvia preset, and very few photos need anything done to them.

Still waiting for the 35mm. but not sure I really need it now!

Associate
Soldato
Does the Wexphotographic X-E1+16-50+27mm deal or the X-E1+27mm count as a kit for the purposes of Fuij's X-E1 free 50-230 deal? Or is it just 16-50's only that count to that? Might be tempted to finally drop in if it does.

It just says X-E1 kit under terms and I'm not sure what that constitutes - don't want to buy it and then find out that I can't get the 50-230 with it.

Soldato
Associate
Probably best to call one of the specified retailers and ask..

If you go to the rainforest site, and search for the X-E1 kit with 18-55, it lists it as part of the free lens deal. If you click on the free lens offer it takes you to a page listing:

X-A1+16-50 kit, black red and blue
X-E1+18-55 kit, black and silver

So I'm fairly sure this means pre-boxed Fuji kits, not retailer bundles.

Associate
I ended up buying the bundle mentioned above - it is just that, separate boxes for each lens. As it was a great price anyway, I didn't mind missing out on the long zoom.

Gave the camera a quick test and the 27mm pancake seems like a very good lens and I'm impressed with the camera. Don't think I'll regret getting rid of the dslr :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom