Fuji X Series

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I'm looking at part-exchanging my 35 f2 for either the 35 1.4 or 56 1.2 as a portrait lens, so would be nice if Raymond could do a comparisons :D

Caporegime

That's the one, comes in a brown box but have everything inside, like new, in bags and all the paperwork.

I'm looking at part-exchanging my 35 f2 for either the 35 1.4 or 56 1.2 as a portrait lens, so would be nice if Raymond could do a comparisons :D

Ehhh, I could, I need a subject and would be hard to tell with a 1 off shoot to be honest, I would need to spend a bit of time with them.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Ehhh, I could, I need a subject and would be hard to tell with a 1 off shoot to be honest, I would need to spend a bit of time with them.

Fair enough... not to worry, I guess I was interested to know if the 56 had the same 3d pop in your opinion.

Also was unaware of the official Fuji refurb shop :cool:

Soldato
Raymond what are your thoughts on having the 35/f2 and the 23/f2? I only have the 35/f2 for my XT10 but I love the perspective of the 23mm.

I also rented the 14/f2.8 which was awesome. I'd love a combo of all three before I look at longer lengths. Then again I could just go for the 10-24mm... :o

Soldato
How much
How much would you expect to receive part-ex or private for the F2. Im currently using that on my XE2 as a knock-about lens. It's a good combination so i'm wondering whether I would miss it by simply using the 1.4 instead. Despite being slow the 1.4 gives great results.

Caporegime
Raymond what are your thoughts on having the 35/f2 and the 23/f2? I only have the 35/f2 for my XT10 but I love the perspective of the 23mm.

I also rented the 14/f2.8 which was awesome. I'd love a combo of all three before I look at longer lengths. Then again I could just go for the 10-24mm... :o

I think the WR 2.0 lenses are good, actually they are excellent, both in quality of built and image quality,

Pros

Excellent build quality. All Metal construction, even the focus ring is metal.
Excellent optics. Sharp from centre to corners.
Focus is internal, snappy and relatively fast.
Good value. Around £350, which for what you get above and the Image you get through it, compare to the Canon, it's worth the money easily.
It is weather resistance.
Bokeh is actually very good, the photo of the X-Pro 1 is from the X-T1 with the 35/2.0.
Although the 35/2.0 still suffers from Purple CA, evident in the photo of the X-Pro 1 before I removed it.

So why did I get the 1.4? Seeing the 1.4 cost more (but get it refurb, much cheaper), well, I am a bokeh whore. 1.4 is about 2.0 in bokeh level in FF. I am used to 1.4 on FF so I just want as shallow as possible and I want that extra bit of light.

The other thing is that I actually find the lens on the WR a bit too small, I am not holding the lens with my left hand, more like just my thumb and index finger. the balance of the camera feels wrong, the Fuji is already small, put that tiny lens on it I feel like i am shooting a compact almost. The R is a much better balance lens on the bodies.

Caporegime
How much

How much would you expect to receive part-ex or private for the F2. Im currently using that on my XE2 as a knock-about lens. It's a good combination so i'm wondering whether I would miss it by simply using the 1.4 instead. Despite being slow the 1.4 gives great results.

I think you could get £250 to 300 for it? not sure....I am going to keep the F2.0 for a bit, because they are tiny, very tiny. I can fit it in my top shirt pocket.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I called Wex today and they said £200 but could get more after inspection, think I'm going to try my luck on the MM for £250 and then buy the 35 1.4 refurb from Fuji.

I'm keeping the 23 f2 as my travel lens as I prefer the 35mm perspective over 50mm

Caporegime
I called Wex today and they said £200 but could get more after inspection, think I'm going to try my luck on the MM for £250 and then buy the 35 1.4 refurb from Fuji.

I'm keeping the 23 f2 as my travel lens as I prefer the 35mm perspective over 50mm

Try MPB, you could also try to sell it on TP, but you need to be a member for a while there too.

Soldato
Hey Raymond thanks for the notes. What I was getting at actually was a comparison of the 23 to 35 fov. I don't think I explained that :p

I'm sure a wide angle would be my next purchase, bit after that it feels a bit silly to have a WA, 23 and 35. The latter two seem a bit "close" to each other for someone who's probably only ever going to own 3-4 lenses.

But like say the 23 fov has such a nice feel about it..

Caporegime
Hey Raymond thanks for the notes. What I was getting at actually was a comparison of the 23 to 35 fov. I don't think I explained that :p

I'm sure a wide angle would be my next purchase, bit after that it feels a bit silly to have a WA, 23 and 35. The latter two seem a bit "close" to each other for someone who's probably only ever going to own 3-4 lenses.

But like say the 23 fov has such a nice feel about it..

I actually like both focal length, but normally I naturally lean towards the 35mm focal length (23mm). I would say I could shoot 35/85 for most of a wedding with 2 bodies.

However, since getting the Sigma 50mm I have been using the 50mm a lot more. Perhaps it is the lens or perhaps I am learning another focal length but I found the difference between 35 to 50mm actually enough to justify to having both, purely for the reason of framing. When I am in a tight space, in a room and in my mind I have a certain framing, sometimes 35mm is too wide, if I move in closer I am still capturing things in the background i don't want and this is sometimes where the 50mm comes in useful. I get the narrower POV.

In the end, I could make both of them work, but if i am taking my time, if I am paying to the smallest detail, I have them both in my bag.

It's not silly to have a WA, 23, 35 and 56....

20/24/35/45/50/85/100/135

14mm next!

I would get the 200/2.8 but that's pointless when there is a 70-200/2.8 that is actually better. 200/2.0 would be preferred for bokeh and bragging rights but that is enormous for a wedding and would seriously attract attention too in any given situation.

owWSyVi.png

Last edited:
Associate

12/f2 23/f1.4, 35/f1.4 are the "dream team" lenses I use the most, and given luggage space is what I take on travels.

I tried a 56/f1.2 for a week and it's absolutely fantastic, but I had to try and find uses for it, where the main trio (or just one of them) just seem to have opportunities present themselves if you see what I mean.

Given limited space on travels, I take 12 and 23mm, given zero space I just hang the body with the 23mm round my neck on the plane.

I'm so happy with the 23/35 f1.4s in terms of quality and handling that I'm not drawn to the f2 models at all.

Caporegime
12/f2 23/f1.4, 35/f1.4 are the "dream team" lenses I use the most, and given luggage space is what I take on travels.

I tried a 56/f1.2 for a week and it's absolutely fantastic, but I had to try and find uses for it, where the main trio (or just one of them) just seem to have opportunities present themselves if you see what I mean.

Given limited space on travels, I take 12 and 23mm, given zero space I just hang the body with the 23mm round my neck on the plane.

I'm so happy with the 23/35 f1.4s in terms of quality and handling that I'm not drawn to the f2 models at all.
The f1.4 models are optically gorgeous but the focus speed and noise feels like a lens from 20 years ago. It's a shame.

Back
Top Bottom