Fuji X Series

Caporegime
So people keep saying, but personally coming from Canon and L series lenses, I can't say I've ever found either focus or noise to be a problem with my Fuji lenses and the X-E2.

It's certainly no USM, it's moving the front element like the 85L, rather than elements inside hence the speed, or lack of.

It's not the fastest AF lens in the bag but it's fine for what I want it for. Sometimes I find the fight part of the charm.

Soldato
12/f2 23/f1.4, 35/f1.4 are the "dream team" lenses I use the most, and given luggage space is what I take on travels.

I tried a 56/f1.2 for a week and it's absolutely fantastic, but I had to try and find uses for it, where the main trio (or just one of them) just seem to have opportunities present themselves if you see what I mean.

Given limited space on travels, I take 12 and 23mm, given zero space I just hang the body with the 23mm round my neck on the plane.

I'm so happy with the 23/35 f1.4s in terms of quality and handling that I'm not drawn to the f2 models at all.

Likewise, I use them both for tracking kids playing, running and motorsports without issue. So no problem with AF performance, they're not silent but I never bother with video so a non issue.

Soldato
Yup, indeed- Samyang/Rokinon. Best value lens ever.
How does it compare to the Fuji 14/f2? I took that to Cuba (rented it) and adored that lens. I know focussing at 12mm is super easy but I still think I'd miss AF. Do the focus assist tools work with it? What's the depth of field at 12mm f2 anyway? :)

Soldato
I have an XT10 with the 18-55 kit lense but Im wondering if its worth looking at getting the 35mm f1.4 to take on holiday with me? I love the above shots that Raymond has taken and I too love a bit of a bit of bokeh which I cant seem to be able to achieve with the current set up. Would the 35mm f1.4 be a sound investment? Its mainly for taking pictures of my son but currently Im not getting that "wow" factor I had hoped for or is that down to my skills or lack of?

Associate
How does it compare to the Fuji 14/f2? I took that to Cuba (rented it) and adored that lens. I know focussing at 12mm is super easy but I still think I'd miss AF. Do the focus assist tools work with it?

Haven't tried the 14mm, was sorely tempted by the 16 f1.4 though. In the end I wanted the extra 2mm field of view though and am glad I did.

What's the depth of field at 12mm f2 anyway? :)

About 16 miles :D

Even at F2 I rarely touch the focus, let alone yearn for AF. It sits 99% of the time at infinity, occasionally if there's something close (that I want to distort horribly :) ), I might crank it down to 1m. Either way, the focus peak on the X-E2 works nicely. On the X-E1 it's a little more tricky but still more than usable.

Soldato
Regarding the 12mm I had the following focus issue but am quite settled with it now. Focus -peeking works quite well on the XE2.

The best way to almost guarantee sharp and in-focus results is to set aperture at f5.6 or above (f8 if during a bright day) and set the focus at infinity (not to crank the focus ring until you can't move it anymore but to set it right on the marking itself).

I find the inner ring cap to be quite loose on it unless that is because I have got it mixed up with one from a Fuji which isn't quite as tight.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an XT10 with the 18-55 kit lense but Im wondering if its worth looking at getting the 35mm f1.4 to take on holiday with me? I love the above shots that Raymond has taken and I too love a bit of a bit of bokeh which I cant seem to be able to achieve with the current set up. Would the 35mm f1.4 be a sound investment? Its mainly for taking pictures of my son but currently Im not getting that "wow" factor I had hoped for or is that down to my skills or lack of?
Can't comment on your assumed lack of skill but the XF35 1.4 is well worth the money. Stunning lens to compliment your system and what you have seen is what you get ;)

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Lol. I couldn't remember the exact details and was on my phone so had to do a quick copy and paste. I hope Raymond doesn't think I was shouting it at him?

Haha I've fell in to the same trap before, stupid stupid new forum!!

You're right about the Samyang 12mm f2 lens cap, mines always getting knocked off very easily too

Soldato
I'd always be polite otherwise I wouldn't be able to see what good use you could put the 56mm too before I buy it ;) I can hardly see the keyboard due to a 5 am wildlife shoot from this morning could be my next excuse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom