Fuji X Series

Soldato
You know you want it..... there's only TWO left...

I have the 23mm on the way I just really really need to stop looking at the 56mm :eek:

I am so tempted, but want to see what the two f2.8 zooms are like. Also what the long telephoto will be. I'll be swapping totally so giving up FF is going to be really difficult.

Soldato
I haven't looked in depth at any of the lens lineup other than the 35 and 56, so can someone explain briefly why it feels like Fuji are putting out so many overlapping lenses? 16-50, 18-55, 18-55 IS, 16-55 and the 50-230 and 55-200? I get that they'll be slightly different, one will likely be a 2.8 etc. but the ranges are so similar I just don't get how it can make sense to put out so many in a relatively new system when there are so many other gaps?

Caporegime
I haven't looked in depth at any of the lens lineup other than the 35 and 56, so can someone explain briefly why it feels like Fuji are putting out so many overlapping lenses? 16-50, 18-55, 18-55 IS, 16-55 and the 50-230 and 55-200? I get that they'll be slightly different, one will likely be a 2.8 etc. but the ranges are so similar I just don't get how it can make sense to put out so many in a relatively new system when there are so many other gaps?

The thing is due to the sensor size the telephoto lenses would end up very big and heavy so they have completely avoided that area so far. Also wide angle lenses for a large sensor and a short flange distance are also very complex.

But Fuji like all the camera manufactures tend to think that people want dozens of choices of 18-xx mm kit lenses. Canon, Nikon, Sony are all prone to this.

Fuji are actually doing pretty well for fast primes. Why have Nikon and Canon not produce a 5xmm f/1.2 lens? And they do have a few other lenses around, what was it particular you were interested in?

Ultimately, m43 is the only mirror-less system with a complete lens line up. If you want more fast primes, choices of wide or tele lenses, macro lenses Then they are the only csc that makes sense.

Associate

To my understanding 16-50 and 50-230 are "kit grade", i.e. variable aperture, plastic construction

10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 are "enthusiast grade", i.e. excellent image quality, larger and/or non variable aperture, mainly metal construction

The 16-55, 50-140 are the "pro-grade", weather-sealed, constant f2.8 aperture zooms. They're also large and will probably be eye-wateringly expensive.

The 18-135 is a high-grade superzoom, again weather sealed.

I'm avoiding them all and sticking with primes :)

Soldato
ah man after the threads in the last few weeks I've been eyeing up other cameras and lenses (currently have a nex6). Well I've got an x-e2 with 18-55 sat in front of me :) Just have to send off for the 55-200 offer lens.

Just taking some test shots last night the combo of lens and fuji processing makes for some amazing looking images. Very impressed with the lens, it's so much better than any other kit lens I've used. I think I'll use it for a few weeks before looking at any primes.

Caporegime
I too am considering sacking off my DSLR for an X-T1, just waiting to see how the telephoto fares. Failing that I might use a 50D to bolt on to a telephoto and use the X-T1 for everything else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took the x-e2 out to the park for the afternoon, have to say it's a gorgeous camera to shoot with and the 18-55 kit lens seems really good. Was flipping between 23 & 35mm quite a bit so would really like these primes at some point.

Was really torn between getting the x-e2 and the xt1. Watched a bunch of youtube vids of actual owners thoughts and decided on the x-e2 in the end. It costs way less if you're interested in the 18-55 & 55-200 lenses (handy for travel). Also the ISO knob looks like a pain to use as you need to depress the lock button on it to change it every time, on the x-e2 it's on a fn button right beside the shutter release so you can change it with the camera to your eye. There's a built in flash, though not very powerful, there's no easy to open by accident SD card cover and it's a bit smaller as well.

Associate
Yep I had the same dilemma. The viewfinder is fab on the T1 (same evf, different optics), the flippy screen could be useful, and I'd really like a manual ISO dial. But as I'm probably not going to get rid of my DSLR, the final decision came down to the fact that I wanted something fundamentally different and more compact.

Stiiiiiiiil waiting for my freebie 35mm, I'm off to Rome Friday, really hope it comes beforehand...

Associate
I am absolutely loving the 35mm f1.4. Even being slightly trolleyed at the pub the other night I was getting pleasing shots that I want to keep!

Together with the 18mm I'm not sure there's anything else I really need..... although I'll be checking duty free on the way to Rome this evening....

Associate
I am absolutely loving the 35mm f1.4. Even being slightly trolleyed at the pub the other night I was getting pleasing shots that I want to keep!

Together with the 18mm I'm not sure there's anything else I really need..... although I'll be checking duty free on the way to Rome this evening....

56/1.2! That's what I'm saving up for. And a 23/1.4... but the 56 takes priority.

Associate
56/1.2! That's what I'm saving up for. And a 23/1.4... but the 56 takes priority.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure you know, I always found a 50mm prime a bit restrictive on a crop sensor, at least for general photography, but then it takes all sorts!

I think my ultimate selection would be the upcoming 16mm, 23mm and 35mm, all f1.4, and the 18mm f2 when I want something compact.

If I really need the 70-200 range, I'd consider using my DSLR..... and then decide not to.... so maybe something long is required as well :)

Soldato
Damn this thread :D just checking out photos from the 56mm and they look ace. So need to save pennies for both 23mm and 56mm now.

Soldato
I was looking at picking up an X100 again now that the 1.4x teleconverter is out and looks pretty decent. I just prefer 50mm to 35mm so would be nice to have the choice. The TC though does cover a chunk of the OVF, so I thought if I'd be using the EVF more I'd look at other options. I can't believe how cheap second hand the X-E1 is now, and the 35mm f1.4. So I've picked both of these up for way less than a used X100 and TC. They should be with me by the end of the week, along with m42 and FD adapters for messing about with some old lenses I have. Should be fun :)

Eventually I'll pick up an X-T1 and other lenses if I like the X-Trans enough... I'm keeping an eye on X-Pro1 prices as well, especially if the X-Pro2 is announced this year.

Soldato
Bought a XM1 last week and sent off for the free telephoto lens. I'm taking the camera travelling to asia this summer.
I'm after a bit of a faster lens, maybe a prime to take with me.
Has anyone bought the X series prime lenses and what are your experiences with them?

Back
Top Bottom