Fuji X Series

Soldato
Thinking my 18-55 feels a bit slow focussing. Is that the OIS (I've never had that before) or should I see if there's a firmware uograde perhaps?

Associate
Thinking my 18-55 feels a bit slow focussing. Is that the OIS (I've never had that before) or should I see if there's a firmware uograde perhaps?

OIS doesn't have any impact on speed of focussing. I'm not aware of the 18-55mm being slow to focus, so yes, upgrade your firmware ( for lens & camera body … they are separate ) if available.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nice shot!

Here are a few photos/edits from my trip this week to Disneyland Paris. All taken on my X-E2s with the 35mm f2.

disneyland_paris_2018-107.jpg

disneyland_paris_2018-84.jpg

disneyland_paris_2018-70.jpg

disneyland_paris_2018-42.jpg

Soldato
How important is IBIS on Fujifilm cameras? I've always been told that IBIS is only important if your lens doesn't offer stabilisation or you're shooting long exposure low light shots?
The reason I ask is that I'm considering an Xt20 or the XT100, but trying to weigh them up against the A6300 and the G80.

Associate
How important is IBIS on Fujifilm cameras? I've always been told that IBIS is only important if your lens doesn't offer stabilisation or you're shooting long exposure low light shots?
The reason I ask is that I'm considering an Xt20 or the XT100, but trying to weigh them up against the A6300 and the G80.

I used to swear by IS with my Canon gear, mainly using f2.8 zooms. With my X-E2 and prime lenses the couple of extra stops over f2.8 and Fuji's decent high ISO performance seems to be enough to get decent low light shots, at least for me.

Obviously you're not going to get the silly 1+ second exposures you can sometimes achieve with IS/IBIS, but I can't say I've ever really wished for it. Having said that if I had the money for an X-H1, IBIS is still a useful tool.

Caporegime

IBIS is essential for low light photography where movement is not involved, and anyone who says otherwise is being disingenuous, like most of the older photograph-o-saurus members of the Fuji community who seem to love pretending that IBIS doesn't matter despite it now being standard on other mirrorless systems.

Caporegime
Well that, with the standard amount of Richdog aggression, told me!

I reiterate, it's a useful tool, but I survive without it and do a lot of low light stuff. Maybe I have tripod arms....
It wasn't directed at you, more my experiences on the Fuji forums and Fujirumors boards where there are a ton of people who vehemently deny that any feature that the Fuji X-T2 and X-T3 do not have is useful. It's pretty sad to read that kind of stuff, especially when in the end it is just basic physics making life easier for all of us. :)

PS: Just imagine a sardonic smile on my face when you read my posts, I'm definitely not the miserable sort. ;)

Soldato
I just bought an XT20. I originally decided to buy an OMD EM10 mk3 but Jessops had none in stock. They offered me £50 off the price to match and beat LCE, and then I've got £90 cashback, so ended up paying £689 instead of the £839 list price. My only regret is the lack of IBIS but hoping it will be made up in other areas.

Soldato

Ignore the camera, IBIS is a feature that you will either find useful or not. If there are occasions where you find yourself at shutter speeds that you can't hand hold then either IBIS or lens IS will help. If you're shooting stuff where you like to use a tripod then neither are required, likewise if your subject is moving.

Long lenses are probably where IBIS/lens IS come on most useful. You can stick a cheaper manual lens on an IBIS body and reap the benefits.

Soldato
I'm waiting to see the benefits of having a stacked sensor on the XT3 and better eye/face focusing before deciding full frame and IBIS is enough to warrant a change. I'm sure Fuji are well aware of the rave reviews the A7iii is receiving and will need to up their game to compete.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm waiting to see the benefits of having a stacked sensor on the XT3 and better eye/face focusing before deciding full frame and IBIS is enough to warrant a change. I'm sure Fuji are well aware of the rave reviews the A7iii is receiving and will need to up their game to compete.

ethan the X-T3 is not going to have IBIS, nor will the crop sensor, no matter how new, outperform a full frame one where it matters like in low light. Not to mention Sony Eye-AF is several generations ahead of Fuji. Add to that, it will still use the same old weak battery as the X-T2.

At some point you have to be a little realistic. :)

Back
Top Bottom