Fuji X Series

Associate
Battery grip arrived for my xt2 this morning!

Need to order 2x NP-W126s now
Just an FYI , there are issues with recording on the battery grip. I had to resort to using it with a power supply with no batteries in camera or grip. - fine for photos, but there can be big issues with recording.

Soldato
Just an FYI , there are issues with recording on the battery grip. I had to resort to using it with a power supply with no batteries in camera or grip. - fine for photos, but there can be big issues with recording.

thats odd, Fuji seem to release firmware updates with fixes for issues. Or so i thought

Associate
There’s no advertised fix that I’m aware of, and I’m fairly sure my xt2 is on the latest firmware. The issue is with it intermittently stopping recording ( before the 30 min mark). Funnily enough, it mentions the issue in the XT2 manual. It’s the only issue I’ve had with my XT2, albeit it’s a fairly significant issue for the battery grip. Aside from that, I love the camera. If I was going to rely on it for filming, I would get an external recorder like an Atomos -

Issue in thread here Fuji forum

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have been thinking getting a new (used/last gen) Fuji body for fun. I have the option of...

1 - Getting an X-Pro 2. Love the shape, love the look, love the experience. Hated the OVF on the X-Pro 1. Hated the Focusing in the X-Pro 1. I know the EVF and focusing on the X-Pro 2 is better which would be good. These are around £600.

2 - Getting an X-H2. For the IBIS. These are around £550 to £700 with the grip.

3 - X-100S, T or F. Between £500 to £700. If it's the F, is the focusing better than the X-H1/X-Pro 2?

I already have X-T1 and X-Pro 1 with 23/35/56 (1.4/1.2)

Prices are all around similar ballpark price wise.

Are you just looking for a smaller body to the X-T1? The X100 cameras fit the fun criteria really well, can just pocket them and take photos you normally wouldn't take your camera.

Another option could be the X-E3.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hey guys, I'm thinking about a problem I have. I need something that can work well with my XT-3. I am taking a lot of swimming fast action shots. I'm finding it quite tricky because the swimmers bob up and down out of focus. By the time the auto focus has fired the shot is often blurred. Not always badly, but bad enough in most cases that I can't use the shot. I currently use a 55-200 believe it or not, and this actually works surprisingly well for the most part. But I'm wondering if a lens upgrade might make my job a bit easier. As far as I am aware the XT-3 should manage these type of shots admirably, so it's either settings, (a lot of experimenting required) or the lens. I've also tried a 55mm Sigma 1.2 and that works well, but it's a bit limited.

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm thinking about a problem I have. I need something that can work well with my XT-3. I am taking a lot of swimming fast action shots. I'm finding it quite tricky because the swimmers bob up and down out of focus. By the time the auto focus has fired the shot is often blurred. Not always badly, but bad enough in most cases that I can't use the shot. I currently use a 55-200 believe it or not, and this actually works surprisingly well for the most part. But I'm wondering if a lens upgrade might make my job a bit easier. As far as I am aware the XT-3 should manage these type of shots admirably, so it's either settings, (a lot of experimenting required) or the lens. I've also tried a 55mm Sigma 1.2 and that works well, but it's a bit limited.
That sounds like a tough one alright - very challenging to lock onto a face when you only get the briefest of glimpses, compounded by the obstruction caused by splashing water.
Do you, or have you, tinker(ed) with your AF-C custom settings? If not, it may be worth experimenting with those.
IMO the nuclear option would be to get the 50-140. It should have sufficient enough aperture to avoid any low light focussing issues, not to mention the fact it's just an all-round superb lens.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Have you tried manual focus with back button to lock in the focus? Swimmer pops up and you back button focus, next time they pop up (assuming similar distance) you can just snap.

This type of pre-focus is very handy when you know where the subject will be and you want to eliminate the need to aquire focus.

Also try taking a burst of photos and keep the shutter speed high to freeze that motion.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to add to the back button focus advice. You could use a single focal point just in front on the water where the head is likely to pop up. This will save a few extra milliseconds as the camera re-adjusts when the water breaks.

Man of Honour
Thanks so much chaps, some very good advice there, and plenty for me to test. I'm not entirely sure what will work best at the moment. I do a lot of competition shoots now, but it's very difficult to test out of that environment. Part of the problem is most of my shots have focussed on a group of swimmers, coming towards me, rather than individual swimmers. It's a chaotic environment, with not only the swimmers to consider, but plenty of officials and other swimmers out of the water who will get in the shot too. I have to be very selective what I shoot, and what I edit. It's surprisingly tricky! My last event I shot over 700 raw images. I ran down 3 batteries and filled up my memory card :D

Associate
Decided to give Fuji another go and received my X-H2 today. Interested to hear how others are finding it?
I had a XT-30 for a while which I really enjoyed but I made the mistake of upgrading it to a X-T4. I was disappointed by it so I only kept it a month.

Soldato
How come you were disappointed by the X-T4, vs coming from the X-T30 considering it's on paper, a better camera than the 30?
It depends what the user was expecting. All round, yes, it's a much nicer camera to use (IMO) and comes with some more 'pro' features.
However, in terms of IQ, the X-T30 and X-T4 will be identical as they share the same sensor and processor.

That said, I can barely notice any difference between my X-T4 and X-T5 (which has the same sensor as the X-H2) so if IQ is the name of the game then there isn't a vast improvement there either.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It depends what the user was expecting. All round, yes, it's a much nicer camera to use (IMO) and comes with some more 'pro' features.
However, in terms of IQ, the X-T30 and X-T4 will be identical as they share the same sensor and processor.

That said, I can barely notice any difference between my X-T4 and X-T5 (which has the same sensor as the X-H2) so if IQ is the name of the game then there isn't a vast improvement there either.

This. The cameras are so capable these days that there is no night and day difference upgrading to the next model. I did notice a nice bump in IQ using the new 33mm f1.4 vs the 35mm f2.

Back
Top Bottom