Fuji X Series

Soldato
Seeing all the news and leaks about the X100VI has me interested. But rumours suggest it's looking like it's going to cost some £1700. For a fixed lens camera, I just don't know about that. If I wanted to dip my toes in the Fujifilm world, I think I'd rather go for an interchangeable camera for flexibility. I love my R5 but do wonder if also having a smaller lighter system for times when I want to travel light would be the way.

That X-T5 misprice from Currys earlier this week was insane!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Used the 33mm a bit yesterday and remembered why I love this lens.

Saw light and dew on the lawn while making my coffee this morning so popped into the garden for a cliche shot of dewy grass :p

DSCF1579-2.jpg

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Managed to bag a mint 18mm 1.4 for £640. Hopefully it’ll be here for my trip to London on the weekend. With the 33 and 18 I feel this covers 99% of my needs. Also means I can bring my compact bag with both lenses all the time.

What do people do for insurance? Would hate for my camera bag to be nicked.

Soldato
Managed to bag a mint 18mm 1.4 for £640. Hopefully it’ll be here for my trip to London on the weekend. With the 33 and 18 I feel this covers 99% of my needs. Also means I can bring my compact bag with both lenses all the time.
When you're done with the 18mm give me a shout ;)
I have actually just used my home insurance for the past 2-3 years. Yes it makes the policy quite expensive but it's still cheaper than separate policies for home (and contents) and dedicated photography gear insurance.

• Haha
Reactions: LiE
Caporegime

Aaduki.

They don’t even ask for a gear list, although you can, you just need to state total insured value.

Soldato
Aaduki.

They don’t even ask for a gear list, although you can, you just need to state total insured value.
Just checked these guys out - they seem pretty reasonable and I do like the fact that I don't need to itemise everything!
I will definitely keep a note of this when my own renewal is up in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just checked these guys out - they seem pretty reasonable and I do like the fact that I don't need to itemise everything!
I will definitely keep a note of this when my own renewal is up in a couple of months.

There is a caveat, I think if any item is over certain amount, you do need to list them. I forgot the number, may be £2,000? Since my most expensive body (in value) is my A7R3 or A73, and I don’t have lenses costing over £2k, I don’t need to list anything.

Soldato
There is a caveat, I think if any item is over certain amount, you do need to list them. I forgot the number, may be £2,000? Since my most expensive body (in value) is my A7R3 or A73, and I don’t have lenses costing over £2k, I don’t need to list anything.
Thanks, good to know. Mine would be the X-H2s which I paid £2200 for and I dare say could be picked up for well under that now so should be ok.

Soldato
Put the 33mm back up for sale with an enticing price drop. I think I’ve lost the plot recently, acquiring gear that doesn’t fit my life style.

I can join the club of plot loss as I've lasted less than a month with an A7R5 and have gone back to Fuji. Took quite a hit, but not terrible as purchased in HK. There's life style then there's the below :D

Terrible JPEGs - awful standard colours, the picture profiles are also nasty (FL is far too harsh and IN is often too red with horrific skin issues - same with the camera profiles for RAW) and generally the camera shoots too magenta and too cool. This was with a high end 35mm 1.2 Sigma lens that generally shoots warm. The GM 35 looks even colder with what must be some of the harshest looking out of focus areas going. It's like digital rendering dialled up to 100 with zero character. Great for product shots of course. Feel similar about their 50mm on the character. Perhaps might feel differently if I was seriously good in PS or similar when it comes to colour grading and editing although possibly not.

The camera feels dead to use in general, even the shutter button just feels fairly nasty. Tested others, including in official Sony store - all the same.

The new Sony screen design is terrible and I struggle to understand how it was signed off the way it is. I can't believe it's also on their new a9 3. The fact the top left bracket isn't supported on the rear upper back panel is so poor. Graphics card sag style screens possibly incoming and with 1 year warranty. You can move the upper bracket about with your hands from new and it sits proud of the body left side upper often - seen it a few times. That simply isn't lasting as new when used over a period of time in a bag etc.

AF is amazing - seperate back button focus for eye af with it remotely near your point and it's glued on, EVF is amazing, LCD panel itself is nice, menu system is more than fine, body is nice to hold and no issue with ergo, battery is good, charger included another plus, Sigma lens also incredible although heavy.

Edit - Just given I'm moaning about Sony. They give out official international warranty transfers via the official stores abroad known as tourist warranty transfers. Three different people working in well known camera stores here have told me that's it's likely useless as Sony Europe division won't likely accept the camera with a Sony Asia serial against it despite Sony Asia store saying it would be honoured. This means paying for a fix here or sending abroad at cost.

Pointed out the screen issue to them - 'well, it's not ideal I guess' (now on 6k+ camera).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’ve been playing around with custom settings in pursuit of a nostalgic film look for indoors low light.

efsHbAI.jpg

bKfWkgQ.jpg

Fuji X-S10
23mm f/1.4 R
f/2.8
Classic Negative.
Grain: strong, small.
Color chrome: Off.
Color chrome blue: Weak.
WB: Auto, red +4, blue -3.
DR200
H +1
S 0
Color +3
Sharpness -3
NR -3
Clarity 0
BPM 1/8

Last edited:
Caporegime
Re the X100 VI, it's 40Mpixels and IBIS. £1,599 though. I'm still tempted.

Same, and my biggest disappointment is with the price hike, not for the VI but what implications it will have for the V....since there is that extra £200 gap, it means the used market price for the V (or F) won't be dropping as much. Making picking those up wouldn't be as big as a saving as they are not being squeezed as tight.

Associate
Same lens as the V to resolve the new sensor. Was hoping for 1399 but always wishful thinking. Video features have improved which always happy about for a do it all camera.

Part of me thinks find a good Xt30 and 27mm combo.

Back
Top Bottom