Fury - Wilder thread

Soldato
Wilder in 5 for me - KO.

Just don't see Fury surviving 12 round without getting hit with a big punch. Also 3 years out and 2 very poor opponents on his comeback just doesn't inspire confidence that he's ready for a big fight like this.

Soldato
Wilder in 5 for me - KO.

Wouldn't surprise me if you're right,

I can see people are talking about the weight difference between Wilder and Fury, but as Floyd Mayweather once said "Weight doesn't win fights"

I think being very heavy is good for some fighters who can really punch, but for fighters who have to box and stay sharp with an effective jab, that extra 50lb is going to add up, especially against an athlete like Wilder, who I think will retain his strength as the rounds continue - because Fury will fade after round 6 and Wilder won't at 214lb in full fitness.

That said, I'm like the least qualified person in the world to make predictions rofl, but it'll be an interesting fight either way - shame we have to wait till 5am :(

Soldato
Wouldn't surprise me if you're right,

I can see people are talking about the weight difference between Wilder and Fury, but as Floyd Mayweather once said "Weight doesn't win fights"

I think being very heavy is good for some fighters who can really punch, but for fighters who have to box and stay sharp with an effective jab, that extra 50lb is going to add up, especially against an athlete like Wilder, who I think will retain his strength as the rounds continue - because Fury will fade after round 6 and Wilder won't at 214lb in full fitness.

That said, I'm like the least qualified person in the world to make predictions rofl, but it'll be an interesting fight either way - shame we have to wait till 5am :(

To be honest I think your views are pretty much bang on. If wilder catches him it’s game over. Wilder is really good at finishing even if it is a little unorthodox :p if fury could punch then it might be different.

Soldato
To be honest I think your views are pretty much bang on. If wilder catches him it’s game over. Wilder is really good at finishing even if it is a little unorthodox :p if fury could punch then it might be different.

The one thing I hope that doesn't happen, is that like so many of Fury's fights - it turns into 12 rounds of hide behind jab, no power punches thrown or landed, no knock downs - and we'll all go back to bed feeling deflated!

However, I do think that Wilder's unhinged predatory attacking style, despite being wild - is very very effective, if you watch the fight he had against Ortiz, it was messy and sloppy however when you consider the size and weight of Ortiz - who's never been stopped before, Wilder absolutely wrecked him in the 10th - despite being saved by the bell in the 7th. Those right hands he throws are absolute nukes;

Wish they could give a concrete start time so I know what time to set my alarm for.

I'm gonna set mine for 0300, sounds like it'll be a 5am start, but the undercard looks pretty decent

Associate
It's a sad state of affairs when you've got a HW title fight and we've no real idea how good the fighters are. Wilder hasn't beat anyone, some like to reference the Ortiz win but who's he beat, took him 7 rounds to stop Dave Allen FGS. As for Fury come on how close can he be to the version he was 3 years ago with everything that's been going on. Wilder's not afraid to throw punches and will catch him sooner or later (who knows when as his accuracy is awful).

Associate
The one thing I hope that doesn't happen, is that like so many of Fury's fights - it turns into 12 rounds of hide behind jab, no power punches thrown or landed, no knock downs - and we'll all go back to bed feeling deflated!

However, I do think that Wilder's unhinged predatory attacking style, despite being wild - is very very effective, if you watch the fight he had against Ortiz, it was messy and sloppy however when you consider the size and weight of Ortiz - who's never been stopped before, Wilder absolutely wrecked him in the 10th - despite being saved by the bell in the 7th. Those right hands he throws are absolute nukes;

I'm gonna set mine for 0300, sounds like it'll be a 5am start, but the undercard looks pretty decent

Wow, i never saw that fight! Both boxers were awesome!
Never seen Fury throw punches like those Ortiz was landing and Wilder still won that match (barely by the looks of it).

Hope its not an embarassment for Fury.

Soldato
haha, that's brilliant....I embarassingly thought boxing took itself a bit more seriously.
That's a clip from a movie by the way.

Tbh I was searching for this story of when Ali threatened Joe Frasier with a gun when he was on a hotel balcony.

Yeah having read up it was a real incident recreated for a film.

*On topic. Not many experts are backing Fury for this.

Caporegime
I've got absolutely no hype for this fight at all, it doesn't feel like a big heavyweight clash and I don't really care who wins :(

I'm sure Fury will try and hide behind the jab all night but unlike his previous fights he's up against someone with a reach nearly as big as his. If he sticks to the tactics he and Roach have discussed and throws the jab on an upward trajectory it'll block the looping right Wilder throws but I can't see him avoiding it all night.

It's a sad state of affairs when you've got a HW title fight and we've no real idea how good the fighters are. Wilder hasn't beat anyone, some like to reference the Ortiz win but who's he beat, took him 7 rounds to stop Dave Allen FGS. As for Fury come on how close can he be to the version he was 3 years ago with everything that's been going on. Wilder's not afraid to throw punches and will catch him sooner or later (who knows when as his accuracy is awful).
Agree about Ortiz. I've no idea how he became as highly rated as he was but I thought he looked washed up against Malik and not much better against Allen. Obviously got some power and very good technique but he's one of the slowest boxers I've ever seen.

Permabanned
Fury will absolutely destroy Wilder. First he'll outbox him and then start laying on a beating, ending with a brutal KO out of the ring.

...Well, that's what my heart wants. Head says Wilder will get outboxed but eventually catch Fury and end it.

Back
Top Bottom