Gabe Newell AMA tomorrow

Associate
It's because they are not in dev. Honestly, if they were don't you think that there would be more leaks? Magazines would pay a huge amount of money for an exclusive.

I predict this will be a heavily moderated discussion that focuses on VR and DOTA2, few tidbits about potential games may be teased but ultimately nothing concrete.

Keep the masses salivating, it's Valve's MO.

Associate
to which i reckon he'll say:
"because it makes money for us and provides a useful service to our users. We are still the most popular platform on PC by user count, revenue and any other metric. EA's origin and GOG are probably the best of our competitors and the only ones who match our platform. As for hats and graffiti, we are giving the people what they want..
Our employees are free to work on anything they want and also free to leave and setup their own software houses."

Associate
yep. It feels to me like Valve is putting all it's eggs in the e-sports and distribution basket. It owns 2 massive franchises with CS:GO and DOTA2 and these can make them a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if the new generation of gamers cares more about these than HL3.
I would like them to address the gambling issue in particular as i think that is a problem, as is the risk posed to them by key sites.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I am old... I see the word E-Sports and just shake my head and chuckle at the entire idea of calling a computer game a sport.

Would be nice to see Valve working on a VR game ready for Gen 2/3 of the VIVE.

Soldato
I understand that game devs dont want 30% of their profits going to steam for the "privelege"

windows store can go to hell though

The "30%" is also there/thereabouts to what GOG and most other digital distributors charge.

People wax lyrical about GOG but they are more shifty than Valve ever were in my opinion.

HumbleStore gives the most profit to devs but few people use them. It is funny, Humble give DRM Free AND more money to devs yet most think GOG is "better". Meh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The "30%" is also there/thereabouts to what GOG and most other digital distributors charge.

People wax lyrical about GOG but they are more shifty than Valve ever were in my opinion.

HumbleStore gives the most profit to devs but few people use them. It is funny, Humble give DRM Free AND more money to devs yet most think GOG is "better". Meh.

Errm, isn't HumbleStore merely a key reseller? Like I just went on there, they sell Just Cause 3, it states Steam is the platform it's available on.

When i buy Witcher 3 from GoG, I download it from GoG, it's not just a key to whack into Steam or another platform. These are incomparable things, GoG is a distribution service, HumbleStore is a key reseller and seemingly nothing more. Maybe some of the older titles are done through their own download system, I've never used them.

I also can't see how they take a smaller cut as they are effectively using other companies distribution and seemingly just buying keys, they aren't publishing.

Also, Humblestore isn't DRM free, SOME games are DRM free, as stated if you buy a key off them for a game then you go download it off Steam, it's got DRM on it. Gog has their own distribution platform and it is actually DRM free copies of games.

So yeah, GoG is better than HumbleStore, by a mile.

There is more DRM free stuff than I thought but without looking through every page and with no way to sort by price, it all looks like sub £6 indie titles and a lot of very old games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/...nded_genre&hmb_campaign=recommended_genre_1_0

Humblestore selling Witcher 3.... gives you a key to redeem on GoG, highlighting just exactly what these services are. Humble is a key reseller of 'major' titles and has some smaller indie titles. GoG seem to do only DRM free and, I can't even tell, I think everything is a key for it's distribution and no games are just keys for other platforms but I'm not sure on that.

Last edited:
Associate
Humble don't give DRM free in all cases though. A number of their games are tied into the steam platform (even if they don't contain the Steamworks DRM). At least with GOG their games are completely DRM free and can be started up independently of the Galaxy platform.

Add to this the fact that GOG have a number of exclusives and have helped bring a older games back.

Humble gives the most back and allows you to choose to give even more, which is fantastic.

Associate
Errm, isn't HumbleStore merely a key reseller? Like I just went on there, they sell Just Cause 3, it states Steam is the platform it's available on.

When i buy Witcher 3 from GoG, I download it from GoG, it's not just a key to whack into Steam or another platform. These are incomparable things, GoG is a distribution service, HumbleStore is a key reseller and seemingly nothing more. Maybe some of the older titles are done through their own download system, I've never used them.

I also can't see how they take a smaller cut as they are effectively using other companies distribution and seemingly just buying keys, they aren't publishing.

Also, Humblestore isn't DRM free, SOME games are DRM free, as stated if you buy a key off them for a game then you go download it off Steam, it's got DRM on it. Gog has their own distribution platform and it is actually DRM free copies of games.

So yeah, GoG is better than HumbleStore, by a mile.

some games on the Humble store are DRM free AND downloadable (e.g. i have shadowrun on there and i get the option to activate on steam or just download an installer)

Associate
I hope he comments on the CSGO gambling fiasco and also on the standards of the greenlight program and if they plan to actually vet the games that get released.

Almost 40% of steams entire game library was released in 2016 and most of that is just poor quality drivel that steam should be ashamed of allowing on their store in the first place. Its ridiculous!

Associate
I hope he comments on the CSGO gambling fiasco and also on the standards of the greenlight program and if they plan to actually vet the games that get released.

Almost 40% of steams entire game library was released in 2016 and most of that is just poor quality drivel that steam should be ashamed of allowing on their store in the first place. Its ridiculous!

it's a difficult one tbh i don't want them to take an extreme vetting view like apple do as i think that's a waste of time, but at the same time i don't want to be bombarded by poor quality games.
I personally haven't noticed the increase in games (though i know that it is a fact) because i only tend to browse using my wishlist and rely on friends or games publications for recommendations.

Associate
The real problem with it though isn't that the games are just bad, its that they are down right broken or use straight up stolen content. Yet steam just lets them on their store regardless? Something needs to be done because it really has gotten that bad.

Back
Top Bottom