• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

Associate
Hold on a second Vita...

FIRST you say this...
Vita said:
"Installed the card, connected the powersupply to the molex adapter, powersupply wouldn't allow computer to start. And when it did start, it would hang at the MSI Core Boot Up screen. Even when I adjusted BIOS it wouldn't let me get into windows."

And THEN you say...

Vita said:
Yeah guys, it locks up, the PSU is *** sux. I've took the Gainward out and put my old Saphire 9600XT. Until my new PSU arrives. That way I won't damage it.

Might also get a DFI, seen one for really cheap. Really hate this MSI motherboard.

On another note, I thought I'd play a bit of Need for speed: Most wanted on the 7800GS, with the new beta drivers installed, it was really slow and had low fps. Maybe because of the power, that's my thought.

Which suggests you managed to get into windows using your Gainward 7800GS. But how? What changed?

You're defo using the two molex connectors right, have you tried swapping your molexs around, see if another one in the case may work better. I know sometimes the connection pins inside can come a little lose. It's happened to me before, more than likely bcus I go and mod my PSU molexs though.

Permabanned
Its possible he only has 1x12v rail so 20amps total.
I dont know that PSU he has.
If you got a lot of 12v stuff like multi HDD's and fans, try running bare min to see if card gets enough power.

The games will run slow as hell if you run card in safety mode with no aux power.

Illicit, he can get pc too boot if he leaves aux power to new GPU disconnected.

Soldato
illicit007 said:
Hold on a second Vita...

FIRST you say this...

And THEN you say...

Which suggests you managed to get into windows using your Gainward 7800GS. But how? What changed?

You're defo using the two molex connectors right, have you tried swapping your molexs around, see if another one in the case may work better. I know sometimes the connection pins inside can come a little lose. It's happened to me before, more than likely bcus I go and mod my PSU molexs though.

Nothing changed, if I use the Molex's it just turns my system off, or hangs on the boot screen. I tried everything. I'm running a Watercooling system, (Thermaltake Bigwater SE), and 2 fans. Even tried using a different PSU to seperatly power the Gainward, but no luck. And yes it is only 1x12V rail giving 20amps MAX.

So I guess it's a time to get a new PSU, will a Hiper Type-R 580W do?

Associate
Vita said:
Nothing changed, if I use the Molex's it just turns my system off, or hangs on the boot screen. I tried everything. I'm running a Watercooling system, (Thermaltake Bigwater SE), and 2 fans. Even tried using a different PSU to seperatly power the Gainward, but no luck. And yes it is only 1x12V rail giving 20amps MAX.

So I guess it's a time to get a new PSU, will a Hiper Type-R 580W do?

I'm still not convinced its' your PSU buddy... you said you tried using a seperate PSU to power the card... I take it you plugged on into the board and your harddrives etc, and JUST used the 2nd one to plug into the video card and the mains ofcourse... yeah?

however usually the PSU needs to be "told" to turn on by the motherboard. So did the 2nd PSU actually turn on?

If it all worked did you try swapping the PSU's around? You know use the other one for the GPU and the other one of the rest...

(BTW Hiper Type-R 580W should be fine although the Seasonic S-12 is arguably the best PSU around at the moment. The Hiper Type-R 580W didn't actually reach the minimum efficiency rating in Toms Hardware PSU round up so the didn't bother testing the rest. Although I've read a lot of forums from well respected guys (see http://www.3dgameman.com/) saying it's fine! Personally I'd go for the Seasonic and get a PSU modding kit off ebay.)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hmm, so even with a PSU bridged with wire to run without PC ( I hope you bridged the 2pins to run it externally and fan(s) span up ?) still no go, either the card is asking for more juice then the fitted one can supply to agp slot or the card is faulty, but if so I doubt it would boot with no aux power and run your games even though slowly.

I know its lot to ask a friend as messing up his drivers etc, but can you test new card in another PC ?

Associate
bliss007 said:
Hmm, so even with a PSU bridged with wire to run without PC ( I hope you bridged the 2pins to run it externally and fan(s) span up ?) still no go, either the card is asking for more juice then the fitted one can supply to agp slot or the card is faulty, but if so I doubt it would boot with no aux power and run your games even though slowly.

I know its lot to ask a friend as messing up his drivers etc, but can you test new card in another PC ?

Yip I'd defintely go with Bliss007's suggestion on that one buddy. Try it in another computer. Not 100% perfect solution unless they are also running a high end power hungry graphics card, but if it does work in their computer then you can't really blame the video card can you.

I also doubt you could boot into windows without having enough power. From my experience if the power ain't connected you get a "WARNING - POWER AIN'T CONNECTED" message at during the Power On Self Test (P.O.S.T) when you first turn the computer on.

Last edited:
Soldato
illicit007 said:
You reckon?

I know the Seasonic S-12 600W only has 18A per 12V rail.

And the Enermax Liberty 500 only has 22A per 12V rail.

Considering these are two of the highest output PSU around... :confused:

These are ATX2.0 PSUs so they have dual +12V rails, so it's actually a fair bit more than that combined

His 450W is only 20A combined - as an example my Antec 380W has a single 12V rail with 24A

Soldato
Ok let me get this straight once and for all.

I plugged in the Graphics card into my AGP slot. I used the 2 molex connector adaptar thing to connect to 2 molex's of my 450w PSU. It would turn on, but not boot up. Without using the Molex's and just using the power from the AGP slot, it would boot into windows. If I changed anything in the BIOS the computer wouldn't allow me to go into windows. I needed to use default BIOS to get into windows.

As soon as I logged into windows, a message would appear notifying me that the card wasn't reciving sufficent power and therefore it would lower the clocks. The IDLE temp of the card was 38c so I think the card is ok. Just not reciving sufficent power.

I'm just confused that when I do connect the molex adapter connectors why does it hang in windows, and if I overclock in the BIOS why does it still hang?

I'm using my other GFX card and all is well no problems.

Even with the other PSU you running, (would only run when I turned on this machine), still wasn't working. I really don't think it's the card, and all my friends have somewhat low end systems, best bet is to try a new PSU and see how it goes with that.

Permabanned
How can other PSU run only when your PC is running, it has nothing to do with your PC, a PSU needed 2 wires to make contact to start up so ideally in a mobo plugged into mobo 20pin socket, thats PSU you have lying outside PC needs the correct 2 wires bridge by a " U " shaped piece or wire to start up, and you will see fans turning.

Soldato
bliss007 said:
How can other PSU run only when your PC is running, it has nothing to do with your PC, a PSU needed 2 wires to make contact to start up so ideally in a mobo plugged into mobo 20pin socket, thats PSU you have lying outside PC needs the correct 2 wires bridge by a " U " shaped piece or wire to start up, and you will see fans turning.

I connected the other two adapter molexes of the spare PSU outside the case. Then I connected the power, to the mains, started the PC up and the other PSU started to work.

I ain't good with the PSU issue, but I'm pretty sure it is the PSU. When I turned the computer on, it would cut out. Sureley the PSU can't supply the power.

Associate
i have the same problem as vita but i dont think its the psu as i have 35a on the 12v rail, vita? what mobo do you have? also i cant get into windows no matter what when the card is installed, also i have been incontact with lee the MD of gainward uk, im just waiting to hear if they can help, sent a support ticket to gigabyte as well

Last edited:
Associate
Damn that kinda sucks... You don't have a friends computer you can try it out on no?

There's obviously some kinda issues with them if you and Vita are having similar problems. But I guess we won't know until you guys let us know what the results are so make sure to post back please.

I'm still waiting for mine. Ordered on Thursday at 1pm, payed for 48 hour delivery to Ireland and the tracking number sill isn't being recognised on the royal mail webpage... :rolleyes: I just hope i still don't have the same problem as you guys when it eventually (fingers crossed) does arrive :D

Associate
I've got the card installed and working fine. im using a Hyper R PSU, sorry i dont know the rating on the PSU.

it does sound like its your PSU causing the problem, let us know how you get on.

Soldato
Ok not the PSU!!!

I did what Lanz suggested, got 2 molex's of the PSU, and connected them to the 2 molex's of the card adapter thing.

Thing is now, the card only works when I use the defualt BIOS on my MSI motherboard. That's the problem, I ran Need for speed most wanted, with the drivers on the CD. Work's a breeze, but soon after I got some artifacts on stock clocks, temps didn't go about 50.

I'll keep trying today and see what I get in 3DMARK05. That should help.

So to summarise, connecte the 2 molex's from the adapter to 2 spare molex's from the PSU. Make sure they're not connected, to anything!

EDIT: Well, was playing need for speed most wanted, and computer power cut out, meaning the PSU ain't up for powering this beastly graphics card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go down the shops and buy a new PSU, then you can just take it back if it makes no difference and the same thing is happening. If that happens, then the card might be shagged.

Back
Top Bottom