• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

egt

egt

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Nope as the x1900 is just an x1800 with a few more shader units, that by the time are going to be used, it will be an old card too, so everyone who bought an x1900 has just got a speedbumped x1800, the x1900 is running the same games that the x1800 is running maxed out, only the x1900 is running them faster by few frames, x1900 will only come into its own when it gets its shader intensive games, which by the time will appear, DX10 will be around. :)

Nobody expected there to be a 7800 GT on AGP, as the 7800 GS was going to be the last one id have thought, so everyone rushed out for it, only Gainward decided to bring out a GT on AGP, which is a big jump in performance from the GS, so id expect those ppl who rushed out for the GS to be a bit peeved, where as x1800 like me are not bothered about the x1900 as its not that much better, just a little speedbump, as i said x1900 is only worth it in the shader intensive games that its not got yet, and won't for a long time, im certainly not bothered, i can max games out on my x1800 fine, and get great frame-rates, the x1900 is going to do the same, so i aint bothered about it.

If there was an absolute **** load of shader heavy games for the x1900 when it came out, then yeah we'd be peeved, as it would be much better than our x1800's, but seen as there aint, and the x1900 is running the same games with just a few frames more, then who cares, as i don't. :)

I'm sure early 7800GS buyers are happy with their cards too, just seems ironic that you feel sorry for them, if you had waited you could have got a better card too: Review

Associate
I was currently looking at a radeon x800/x850 to replace my ageing 9700 pro but i take it this card would wee wee all over them?
Also if i purchased this card would it make my cpu or any other part of my system the bottleneck?
Cheers :)

egt

egt

Associate
southy1978 said:
I was currently looking at a radeon x800/x850 to replace my ageing 9700 pro but i take it this card would wee wee all over them?
Also if i purchased this card would it make my cpu or any other part of my system the bottleneck?
Cheers :)

Yes, forget about the x800's, they're basically just a faster version of what you already have with no new features.

The 7800GS is the best card you can get on AGP ;)

Caporegime
egt said:
I'm sure early 7800GS buyers are happy with their cards too, just seems ironic that you feel sorry for them, if you had waited you could have got a better card too: Review

Its not that much better though, its just a speedbumped x1800, where as the 7800 GT is a fair bit faster than the 7800 GS, and should go to GTX speeds, where it would be even faster, the margin between those 2 is a lot bigger than the x1800 to x1900, x1900 needs its shader intensive games to really show what it can do, but it wont get em anytime soon, and when there is a fair amount out there for it its gona be old, not worth getting over an x1800, as they are running the same games maxed out at good frame-rates. :)

Those 7800 GS owners would have thought that it was going to be the last AGP card, so would have got one instead of splashing out on PCI-E,but sadly it wasn't as Gainward have brought out the GT, which they are now probably thinking, if i knew there was going to be another better AGP card, then i could have held off for it, but i got the GS thinking that that was the last one.

Last edited:

egt

egt

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Its not that much better though, its just a speedbumped x1800, where as the 7800 GT is a fair bit faster than the 7800 GS, and should go to GTX speeds, where it would be even faster, the margin between those 2 is a lot bigger than the x1800 to x1900, x1900 needs its shader intensive games to really show what it can do, but it wont get em anytime soon, and when there is a fair amount out there for it its gona be old, not worth getting over an x1800, as they are running the same games maxed out at good frame-rates. :)

Lol, you must be living in the stone age. Shader intensive games are already out!

Check out this excellent in-depth review. You can see the x1900 is more than just a speed bump, it easily beats the x1800. If only you had waited...

Caporegime
There is some, but not many, not worth buying a card with all that shader power for a couple of games is there, may as well wait till they are worth buying and get one, which by then won't be an x1900 as it will be old.

Why should i have waited when the likes of Fear, COD2 etc... played fine maxed out on my x1800 at cracking frame-rates, the x1900 does exactly the same. :confused:

More like if you had only waited for all your SM3.0 games before splashing out on a SM3.0 capable card, then you could have got one that isnt gona have to run em with the screen the size of a stamp and at low details to get a decent frame-rate, but you'ld still be waiting now. :D

Last edited:

egt

egt

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
More like if you had only waited for all your SM3.0 games before splashing out on a SM3.0 capable card, then you could have got one that isnt gona have to run em with the screen the size of a stamp and at low details to get a decent frame-rate, but you'ld still be waiting now. :D

I've been enjoying SM3.0/HDR games for quite a while now...even though you still deny there are any :D

Anyway, it's no use patronising early 7800GS buyers because a faster card has come out when you are in the same boat with your early x1800 purchase. If only you had waited...

Permabanned
My 1st DX9c/P.S 3.0 HDR game was FarCry 2nd time around with patch 1.3, I own many of these games now, fact is they exist and its the future, you cant expect that buy a dx7.0 card from e-gay and play minesweeper in XP'sgames folder :p

And yes I had a agp 6800Ultra so it supported the game fully :)

P.S, I cant believe some are still arguing about FPS speed of dx9b cards like X800/X850 over nvidia 6000/7000's, who want a few FPS more with older looking effects on screen anyhow not me.

Soldato
Hi Guys. I'm new :).

I've been searching for an AGP card for over 1 month now. I first set my eyes on the Powercolour X850XT, but then read reviews on how good the 7800GS really is. Was going to put an order down for the XFX Xtream Edition 7800GS, but comming onto the site realised Gainward had brought this monster out.

Just needed some information, will the stock be in on the 30th, and how many will exactly be in stock. I'm worried as I may miss out. And really want this card.

I do have a fairly old system, about a year old. Specs are:

AMD 3000+ NewCastle
1GB of Samsung RAM (PC3200)
ATI 9600XT 525/730MHz
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R - Going to change for a DFI

Thought if I'd buy this it would keep me upto date with recent games. £281 is abit much I'd say, but money is well spent with good stuff no? :cool: :D

Caporegime
egt said:
I've been enjoying SM3.0/HDR games for quite a while now...even though you still deny there are any :D

Anyway, it's no use patronising early 7800GS buyers because a faster card has come out when you are in the same boat with your early x1800 purchase. If only you had waited...

I don't deny that SM3.0 games exist, i know they do, but theres hardly hundreds of em, not exactly flooded out have they.

Its different, x1900 is not much over the x1800, no one should get rid of an x1800 for an x1900, theres no point, if you have a x8 series card etc... then yes, it would be cracking upgrade as you would get a huge boost in peformance, but an x1800 owner would not see a huge performance boost going to an x1900, you might as well tell everyone with 7800 GT's to get rid of em and get GTX's, they'd say your mad as its not that much faster, a pointless upgrade, everyone knows the x1900/7900's are only speed bumped, the real next gen cards are the R600/G80, these speed bumped cards were just for them to get one up on each other to get the speed crown, and to do that they speed bumped the x1800/7800's.

I don't know why you all have this thing that Nvidia can not do any wrong, and that no Nvidia owner would ever be unhappy as its impossible as they have a Nvida card, fact is there will be some unhappy Nvidia owners its true im sorry, you have to face up to it sometime, not every single Nvidia card owner is happy, and no its not impossible, you can deny it all you want.

The x1800 was not the last ever PCI-E card, we all know PCI-E is the way forward, everyone knew R520 (x1800) was months late, and that the R580 (x1900) was still on time for January, yet ppl still bought the x1800 knowing all this, and the x1900 is not worth an upgrade from an x1800 as said.

The point i was making was that the 7800 GS was as far as everyone knew going to be the last ever high end AGP card, no more high end AGP cards were coming after that, so everyone rushed out thinking, right seen as this is the last ever AGP card, then after this thats it, ill get one seen as its a high end one, see me through for a while longer before i make a jump to PCI-E, but then Gainward bring out the 7800 GT, so some of them must be thinking damn, if id known this was not going to be the last ever AGP card, and there was an even higher end one coming, i would have held off for it as it would have lasted me longer than my 7800 GS, then i could have went PCI-E, and also the fact that these cards were not cheap, they were more expensive than much higher end, much faster PCI-E cards, they could have had a faster PCI-E card, and a PCI-E motherboard for the same price, but they were happy paying that expensive price for them, as they thought they were the last ever AGP cards, so the high price was justified, but sadly as we now know thats not the case thanks to Gainward, im not blaming Nvidia for this, as its Gainward who have brought out the GT. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Vita said:
Hi Guys. I'm new :).

I do have a fairly old system, about a year old. Specs are:

AMD 3000+ NewCastle
1GB of Samsung RAM (PC3200)
ATI 9600XT 525/730MHz
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R - Going to change for a DFI

Thought if I'd buy this it would keep me upto date with recent games. £281 is abit much I'd say, but money is well spent with good stuff no? :cool: :D

welcome!

Yes as ajgoodfellow has said if you are looking at getting a new mobo then get a pci-e one and card.

This way you will get better performance for less and will allow you to upgrade to later cards. :)

Permabanned
Possibly but anyone telling others to ditch there current rig and build a new amd64 is lame, esp if the user has a overclocked amd 32bit mobile or P4 3.2gig etc, they may want to build a top pc when Vista is out and for now are happy to spend £300 on a GPU, its not a waste to them if they are happy with results.

Another fact is socket AM2 is here soon and regardless of comments Ive read here by others it wont be drasticly faster if at all than current 939 rigs as of the high latency of DDR2 memory for the time being.

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
Hi!

Welcome to the forums :)

If you're changing your motherboard then I'd strongly recommend getting a PCI-E motherboard and a PCI-E graphics card - you'll get more for your money

To be honest. I ain't that high on funds. And only want the DFI to hit the 3.0GHz mark with my CPU. In total with a new power supply it would come at £400, but yeah I'm sort of fussy when I want something.

So then if I was to get a new PCI-E system, I'd need a new CPU/Motherboard/GPU which would cost about £500quid if lucky. So yeah, rather stick with what I plan. End of the day it's my money, if it's wasted then tuff on me lol.

Soldato
Vita said:
To be honest. I ain't that high on funds. And only want the DFI to hit the 3.0GHz mark with my CPU. In total with a new power supply it would come at £400, but yeah I'm sort of fussy when I want something.

So then if I was to get a new PCI-E system, I'd need a new CPU/Motherboard/GPU which would cost about £500quid if lucky. So yeah, rather stick with what I plan. End of the day it's my money, if it's wasted then tuff on me lol.

Why not use your current processor with a 754 PCI-E board? Then combine with a 7900GT for the same price as the Gainward card

Soldato
Vita said:

Hi

I would be personally very suprised if you get a 3000+ Newcastle to 3Ghz - even the new 90nm cores often don't hit that and require Phase Cooling

You don't need to buy a new CPU to go PCI-E - you can just buy a PCI-E Socket 754 motherboard

Soldato
Yeah I could get the Epox couldn't I....I've seen people get 3GHz on air with my CPU. Well I've seen pictures lol. But if I was to get the Epox, would it provide the same performance as the S939 sockets or less. I'm really confused. I think I've fell in love with this card lol. :p

Back
Top Bottom