• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7800 GT for AGP!!!!

Soldato
im hoping that the dfi expert board drops in price to the 50 quid mark next year sometime then i will pick it up and use it to replace my asrock board.
that way i can push my opteron a bit higher.

Permabanned
BTW, I dont know if/how Shop will get away with renaming card legal wise, but the GS on the gainward stands for Golden Sample, as it has big sticker on the box, so Nvidia will be happy they didnt call it a GT but the GS wont be same meaning as GS on other 7800 16 piped cards.

Associate
Lets talk about the important stuff .. we all know it's fast.
What about power, noise and heat? I know its quiet because of the cooler on it but what about the other two. That concerns me with this card.
Also is this card worth it if you have anything less than a 3.0 Ghz machine?

Permabanned
Ive already stated makers specs above for PSU and heat is not issue as 7000 series are cooler than 6000's this wont be as power hungry or hot as a 6800Ultra.

Soldato
Well I've been persuaded and put in an order this morning. Not willing to buy PCI-E at the moment (I'm happy with my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum) and with AM2 coming out "soon" as well. Like others I will be upgrading to a new machine once Vista comes out and don't want the hastle of replacing a spec I know works with Linux (apart from current graphics card).

Should arrive tomorrow. :)

Associate
7800gs

Hi There
I`ve been reading some of these threads and noticed that somebody had mentioned quite an oldish cpu and a new graphics card and said about the cpu bottlenecking the card.
I bought a 7800gs agp off overclockers a few weeks ago,to upgrade from a 6600gt agp.
I have what i would call an old cpu it`s a p4 2.6,imo i have noticed nothing but a performance boost from upgrading to this card,i get between 80 and 140 fps everything turned on on toca 3 and with the new tomb raider game which has been causing some problems i get 80 - 100 fps,ibearing in mind that is with next gen and aa turned off,the graphics still look superb and the game runs like a dream.
Going on this so if i had a faster cpu would i get a massive increase of fps on the games that i play.
I`ve always had quite basics cards all being agp upgrading from ti4200 to 6600gt to 7800gs and always noticed a massive boost in graphics.
All my games are run on my acer 20inch w/s on 1680x1050.
Just thought i`d add my thoughts to the discussion
Steve

Associate
nice one, good luck with the install, ive been playing COD, BFME2, Halo and FEAR all weekend with much improved frame rates and smoothness, such is the power of this card i didnt even notice or care that the dirty scummy mancs beat my beloved Arsenal yesterday :eek:

Associate
got mine on Saturday, just had to pay the extra ten spot for saturday delivery. Nice looking piece of kit. Gained 4000 points in 3dmark 03 over my x850 xt pe. Like the guy above said going to try and lay off a major upgrade up until vista,Am2 and dx10.
although the word TRY should be underlined :p :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok THE INSTALLATION SUCKED FOR ME MAJOR!

Installed the card, connected the powersupply to the molex adapter, powersupply wouldn't allow computer to start. And when it did start, it would hang at the MSI Core Boot Up screen. Even when I adjusted BIOS it wouldn't let me get into windows.

My PSU is as follows:

WinPower ATX-450w

+12v 20A
+5v 38A
+3.3v 28A
-5v 0.5A
-12v 0.8A

Is that suffienct because I don't think it is. I'm using the card right now without those connected.

My Motherboard is a MSI K8T NEO FIS2R Socket 754.

Please let me know guys, as I'm upset and worried.

Permabanned
Your Gainward box stated 400watt PSU min and thats probably Nvidia been on safe site overrating but obv thats not some crappy cheap light 400watt but a branded one, since yours is 450watt and branded it should be ok ((I think not heard of)

DID you plug 2 Molex's into the included PCI-E adaptor.

EDIT: It shouldnt matter, I forgot to plug in power to card after I removed to strip it to apply artic silver 5 and get photos of bare PCB for mod sites, it boots normal to windows and warns you its got lack of power and is running in a reduced performance mode to save from damage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah warns me about that. But it doesn't allow me to change anything in BIOS or anything, I'm not sure why that is. I'll keep trying, could the card be b0rked? Doubt that tbh.

I'm so confused. :confused:

Permabanned
You shouldnt need to touch your mobos bios if agp set to auto or 8x or you want to change agp aper*** size now you got 512MB card.

Have you totally unpowered pc from mains and removed battery and reset cmos (depending on mobo not all need battery removed) to see if this helps ?.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Maby, but his PC should at least boot up into 2D desktop mode hmm.

Just checked against a lower powered Antec 380watt and as I thought it has 16amps on each 12v Rail so 32amp in total for 12v.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah guys, it locks up, the PSU is *** sux. I've took the Gainward out and put my old Saphire 9600XT. Until my new PSU arrives. That way I won't damage it.

Might also get a DFI, seen one for really cheap. Really hate this MSI motherboard.

On another note, I thought I'd play a bit of Need for speed: Most wanted on the 7800GS, with the new beta drivers installed, it was really slow and had low fps. Maybe because of the power, that's my thought.

Back
Top Bottom