GAME lose another supplier

Permabanned
Not really. The biggest threat to the supermarkets are the other supermarkets, they are always undercutting each other.

Rubbish, the days of the cheap supermarket game are over, they know it, unless you spend £50 instore, I save a ton of money getting GTA4 CODs FIFA for £27, its a dying a death now, you have to buy some thing, its what supermarkets do, offer stuff low then just play on the brand loyalty.

This past Xmas already proved the opposite.

Game group did their advent calendar sale, at which all the other retailers including Amazon then dropped their prices to match that of Game. Had they not done, there wouldn't have been the crazy price drops on brand new games.

I just fail to see how people think Game going under means nothing, while I don't shop there, neither do many on here, it has an important place on the high street. Less competition is never good for the consumer.

Game use to do deals like that all year round but for some reason they stopped doing it, they would would do monthly deals, certain games at x price x quantity it, a timer ticking down, I remember getting a brand new Xbox with S Controller for £15 in 2005, I think they sold about 30 of them, the site went down like they do at xmas, in your basket but you cant buy it.

I think GAME are ****** they have rode the good times and wasted it all, the stores and website show now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Rubbish, the days of the cheap supermarket game are over, they know it, unless you spend £50 instore, I save a ton of money getting GTA4 CODs FIFA for £27, its a dying a death now, you have to buy some thing, its what supermarkets do, offer stuff low then just play on the brand loyalty.

Well um, duh? They want you to go in there so you buy other things as well. :confused:

More competition between the supermarkets will at least drive the prices down a little bit. That much is obvious.

Soldato
Not really I doubt spot sales make that much of a difference and Amazon are well known to price match a lot of its competitors so GAME in that respect isnt that special. To think of it as a driving force in games retail seems laughable...

GAME going is a neither a good/bad thing, as I really dont think it does anything to aid competition, as to think that would infer its was a competitor 365 days of the year which it rarely is whenever Ive looked at their web site or even gone into their stores (rarely go in-store nowadays and if I ever buy a game in a shop its a supermarket)...

GAMEs business plan was so far off the mark and alienated those mainstream gamers with their pricing, sales tactics and movement to effectively ripping people off when it came to buying/selling second hand games has left it with a stigma I doubt it will ever get rid of. I wouldnt be surprised if its non-gamers that actually shop there (parents/relatives of gamers)

ps3ud0 :cool:

It wasn't just Amazon though, it was also HMV, Play, Shopto and a number of others. They had to drop their prices to match Game during what is the busiest period of the year for buying games with numerous new titles made available. I picked up some fantastic titles for dirt cheap during the Xmas period, not necessarily all from Game, but it was because of Game driving the competition down. Had they not done that, then the prices would have stayed at their usual new game levels.

The other thing that we've been over numerous times in these Game Group threads now is that people need to stop thinking just about themselves. Just because you don't like or won't shop at Game, doesn't mean that everyone in this country sees it as black and white as you do. Game has a lot of customers from different walks of life. If we loose them, it really only leaves HMV on the High-Street, who are struggling as it is.

The Supermarkets don't really drop their prices so much anymore like they did with previous loss leaders. Modern Warfare 2 to date is still the only real title that caused a proper war between them, but that was driven by one of them expanding their games range and also the fact that they knew it was going to be a huge seller that would get people into their stores.

The majority of people shop in the same supermarket each week, so are picking up a game when doing their food shopping, which is what they want you to do. The number of people willing to go around different supermarkets just to try and find a game the cheapest is likely to be very low. Supermarkets are about convenience, they already sell products dearer than elsewhere, games are no different. With Game Group gone it takes away the biggest retailer on the high-street and they don't need to do as much in the way of trying to entice people into their store on the offer of a cheap game, because there is less competition in terms of people who buy their games in physical shops.

Soldato
Actually, they don't always.

I've managed to get the last two FIFA games and a handful of others for £25~ (instead of £35+) from the supermarkets at launch.

GAME tend to have more stock so the people who miss out go to them, it's why they keep the price higher.

Like I say, apart from launch days. Supermarkets love a loss leader

Don
Popped into local Game store today in Beckton and they had signs stating they're not accepting credit, debit and game gift cards. So... cash only? Proper Del boy tactics.

maybe their card machine broke? Or something within their tills is down, who knows!

Seems a bit weird for them to deliberately use cash only. I mean who carries cash these days?! :/

Associate
There's 2 game stores in Bluewater as well. That place is among the highest priced retail developments in the whole UK. There's no need. Just wasting money.

Problem is that they are often stuck with retail plots they can't shift to other businesses. I.e. the lease is a very long term/indefinite lease, and if the highstreet is contracting, it ain't easy to shift to get rid of them. This is why opening so many stores in the first place was so bad for them in the long run.

Popped into local Game store today in Beckton and they had signs stating they're not accepting credit, debit and game gift cards. So... cash only? Proper Del boy tactics.

Unless we start hearing several reports of numerous stores doing this (which would be a sign of end times) it is probably just a broken till :p

Sorry to hear about your job Dokko. Guessing there is no hope of any of the concession store jobs being transfered to main stores?

Soldato
Problem is that they are often stuck with retail plots they can't shift to other businesses. I.e. the lease is a very long term/indefinite lease, and if the highstreet is contracting, it ain't easy to shift to get rid of them. This is why opening so many stores in the first place was so bad for them in the long run.

Unless we start hearing several reports of numerous stores doing this (which would be a sign of end times) it is probably just a broken till :p

Sorry to hear about your job Dokko. Guessing there is no hope of any of the concession store jobs being transfered to main stores?

Aye cheers Gideon, maybe for others but not for me. Our manager, assistant manager who is as good as a manager plus senior sales whose as good as an assistant will come first and rightly so, it's them I'm more bothered about. Although I do live off this job and without it I'll have no money it was never a career for me, just something to pay the bills till the job Market picks up and I can find something to use my degree with.

Like I say though, best job ive had in years, mainly down to the area and the people I work with...some of the customers weren't too bad either.

Back
Top Bottom