Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
Using HD560s with Creative G6 or Fosi K5 Pro no PS5 or when I want convenience, Audeze Maxwell wireless headset :)

Tbh I hadn't heard about this DAC/AMP so interesting just reading about it. I think I just found your alter ego on Reddit with some comments on the Fosi K5 Pro! Feels like a bargain at the price it's going for.

Is the sound output/quality comparable to the SBX G6?

I think the biggest issue I've found with the PS5 has just been how much that reduced 50% output on USB kills the range on sound. It's particularly bad on high sensitivity headphones. My G6 sounds so flat on USB in comparison to being plugged into a PC. The DAC/AMP's I've seen specificality mention PS4/5 compatibility are the Qudelix-5K, JDS Atom DAC and (possibly) the Schiit Hel 2. The Qudelix has an option in its software to 'override the host volume'. However these aren't always the easiest or cheapest things to get in the UK.

So my previous solutions/testing have been to use my old Sony PS Platinum Wireless (OK sound, awful comfort), Razer Kiara for Playstation (got these for £31 on a pricing error - bad sound, but work) and now a Creative SB PLAY! 4 which is fine for the money. Provides a slightly nicer sound than than the Dualsense with more power. And Creative specifically realeased a firmware update to increase the volume with PS5 usage which helps. Either way I feel like lower impedance headphones is the way to go with the PS5. Of course where 3D audio isn't required I can just use the G6 on Optical.

Soldato
Interesting looking device that Fosi K5 Pro.
I nearly bought a Schiit Fulla/Hel but after reading about the USB issues I decided against it and have my G6 bundled in my travel bag. I was originally using a G3 but felt it was lacking power.
I may look at the Fosi as a next purchase but have similiar queries to Timber.
Currently 20% off it on the rainforest place too taking it down to £63.

Last edited:
Associate
I may look at the Fosi as a next purchase but have similiar queries to Timber.
Obviously @WhiteHartMart would confirm but doing a quick search reveals a few posts complaining that user's Fosi K5 Pro's are quiet vs. connected to a PC which is a telltale sign.

My gut feeling is that any DAC/AMP over USB with PS4/5 is going to suffer the 50% output issue unless they have an option like the Qudelix-5K (or they are actually licensed for use by Sony) then audio quality is going to be impacted. But without a Qudelix to hand it's hard to be 100% certain based off internet reports alone (i.e. lots of people claim the SBX G6 is fine with the PS5 when it isn't). It's interesting because I noticed Creative have a new Sound Blaster X5 DAC/AMP which is claiming support with the PS4/5 but again I'm not sure this can be trusted based on how their other products work.

EDIT - Although this thread does suggest the Qudelix is a viable option (link from their own forum) based on the user's feedback at the end of the thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously @WhiteHartMart would confirm but doing a quick search reveals a few posts complaining that user's Fosi K5 Pro's are quiet vs. connected to a PC which is a telltale sign.

My gut feeling is that any DAC/AMP over USB with PS4/5 is going to suffer the 50% output issue unless they have an option like the Qudelix-5K (or they are actually licensed for use by Sony) then audio quality is going to be impacted. But without a Qudelix to hand it's hard to be 100% certain based off internet reports alone (i.e. lots of people claim the SBX G6 is fine with the PS5 when it isn't). It's interesting because I noticed Creative have a new Sound Blaster X5 DAC/AMP which is claiming support with the PS4/5 but again I'm not sure this can be trusted based on how their other products work.

EDIT - Although this thread does suggest the Qudelix is a viable option (link from their own forum) based on the user's feedback at the end of the thread.
I would probably be using it with a laptop but do have a PS5 also. I didn't notice any issues with my G6 on the PS5 when playing MW2 beta actually but haven't spent a substantial amount of time using either.

Associate
I would probably be using it with a laptop but do have a PS5 also. I didn't notice any issues with my G6 on the PS5 when playing MW2 beta actually but haven't spent a substantial amount of time using either.
That's fair enough - people's setups, headphones and preferences can make a difference. The other telltale sigh is the mic input being reported as bad via the G6 on PS5 USB. Again a limitation of the USB/OS & driver (I suspect).

For me when running the G6 through the PC I rarely need the thing above 10-12% on the Windows system volume (depending on headphone used - DT990/770's needed more). Where as when plugged into the PS5 via USB I have to have the volume wheel way up or have high gain selected. As mentioned it sounds flat and less dynamic too (maybe be UAC 1.0 vs less frequency response). Particularly noticeable on the higher sensitivity headphones.

I do think a very cheap workaround is to use a PCM2704 Optical to USB converter (similar to that Youtube video I posted). That can definitely alleviate the issue a bit and still allow the option of 3D audio.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's fair enough - people's setups, headphones and preferences can make a difference. The other telltale sigh is the mic input being reported as bad via the G6 on PS5 USB. Again a limitation of the USB/OS & driver (I suspect).

For me when running the G6 through the PC I rarely need the thing above 10-12% on the Windows system volume (depending on headphone used - DT990/770's needed more). Where as when plugged into the PS5 via USB I have to have the volume wheel way up or have high gain selected. As mentioned it sounds flat and less dynamic too (maybe be UAC 1.0 vs less frequency response). Particularly noticeable on the higher sensitivity headphones.

I do think a very cheap workaround is to use a PCM2704 Optical to USB converter (similar to that Youtube video I posted). That can definitely alleviate the issue a bit and still allow the option of 3D audio.
Good points to be fair. You obviously know a bit more about me on audio things so thanks for the heads up on the issues people are seeing.
I'll hold off pulling the trigger on anything but good to see your input.

Last edited:
Associate
@Timber @michty_me - hi both. The Fosi K5 Pro was of interest when I purchased it as I wanted to try something that was PS5 friendly but which had a better mic input than the G6. In reality, while the K5 does have a far better mic input, it just doesn't have the sound or sufficient volume headroom of the G6. If you have high sensitivity headphones/headset it's better than using the controller but otherwise the G6 is a far better option.

As for the T1.2 - I ended up selling again - my equipment just isn't good enough to get the best out of them and I didn't want the expense of a better amp/dac in the end. As far as FPS gaming was concerned though, they were like cheating. Positional awareness was incredible!

Soldato
@Timber @michty_me - hi both. The Fosi K5 Pro was of interest when I purchased it as I wanted to try something that was PS5 friendly but which had a better mic input than the G6. In reality, while the K5 does have a far better mic input, it just doesn't have the sound or sufficient volume headroom of the G6. If you have high sensitivity headphones/headset it's better than using the controller but otherwise the G6 is a far better option.

As for the T1.2 - I ended up selling again - my equipment just isn't good enough to get the best out of them and I didn't want the expense of a better amp/dac in the end. As far as FPS gaming was concerned though, they were like cheating. Positional awareness was incredible!
Thanks for the feedback, the G6 is pretty hard to beat at the price point really. I think I'll just keep it for otg gaming with my laptop and occasional PS5 use.

The T1 is great headphone but as you say, pretty hungry at the same time. The HD560s is also great though. I really enjoy using them for FPS gaming.

Associate
Thanks for the feedback, the G6 is pretty hard to beat at the price point really. I think I'll just keep it for otg gaming with my laptop and occasional PS5 use.

The T1 is great headphone but as you say, pretty hungry at the same time. The HD560s is also great though. I really enjoy using them for FPS gaming.
Yea - I already had the 560s so I just couldn't justify the extra expense for my usage despite how good the T1 were for gaming.

Associate
@WhiteHartMart Ty for the confirmation.

The Fosi K5 Pro still sounds bit of a bargain given the price point, particularly for PC usage.

Just for future reference it appears the PS5 reduces the volume output by 15.75db over USB (versus 11db when using an USB to Optical adapter as measured in that Youtube video).

Last edited:
Associate
I want to upgrade my audio game with my new impending PC build, and will probably go for a decent external USB DAC/Amp. If I go this route, do I just ignore the mobo's onboard sound altogether? Like, do I even need to install the audio drivers etc?

Associate
So I've made the switch to a wireless mouse (Logitech Pro) keyboard (Logitech G915) in terms of audio headset I have Sennheiser Game Zeros, and thinking of replacing them with a good wireless solution any ideas?

Soldato
I want to upgrade my audio game with my new impending PC build, and will probably go for a decent external USB DAC/Amp. If I go this route, do I just ignore the mobo's onboard sound altogether? Like, do I even need to install the audio drivers etc?

What sort of headphones would you be looking to drive?
Looking for an all in one solution or a separate amp/dac stack combo?
Yeah pretty much bypass the onboard audio and just USB/Optical out to the DAC and AMP.

Back
Top Bottom