Games that were difficult in your childhood

Man of Honour
Epic necro!

Completely forgot about Dynamite Heady. Ended up watching this in part:

Most of it looked familiar, so I guess I must've done some sight-seeing cheating as a kid. Have to respect the lengthy ending sequence.

The Lion King was so difficult it was abominable. A level involving log jumping up a waterfall did me in if I remember right - had to cheat past that, and that wasn't even in the adult Simba phase of the game.

If you are suggesting that Lion King is harder than Dynamite Headdy... you are simply remembering it wrong :p

Lion King was a doddle - granted those logs were a little tricky as a toddler!

I think I’ve decided that I’m going to beat Dynamite Headdy as an adult this Christmas.... no save slots. I am a sucker for punishment.

edit - that vid is the Japanese version which is supposedly way easier.... but even then it gives me anxiety lol

Last edited:
Soldato
The first mission in Driver when you're in the car park "proving your worth". I can do it first time now though, not sure what the big deal was!
I'd completely forgotten about Driver. What a fantastic game (sadly ruined by one of the sequels). That mission was hard!

I also remember the real thrill of realising what a huge deal it was being able to finally get out of a car and run around, and that was thanks to GTA3.

Soldato

Not necessarily that level but that game was pretty tricky when I was a kid.

Another game which actually brought me to tears when I was a kid was Killer Instinct on the SNES. I could barely beat the final boss, Eyedol. He used to do this weird stamping move that would gain him health but also damage you. I felt like it was so unfair :p

Associate
My first game on zx spectrum manic miner (the bug byte version) I never beat level 19 "solar powered generator". It had a random line that flickered around the screen depleting your air.

I still love the game a real gem.

Associate
Alien Breed series on Amiga. All hard, but Tower Assault was ridiculous.
Also Oddworld on PSX, I only recently finished this using save states in emulation!

Associate
For pure difficulty and frustration there are a few games that could have been chosen but at the end for me it has to be Shadow of the Beast 2 on Amiga, the difficulty completely ruined the game. If you managed to go to the left and make it down the tree branches without dying you were doing good.

Utterly unforgiving, perhaps 3 seconds of an enemy touching you is enough for a game over via a really long (yet cool) death screen that had to be loaded each time. Even with infinite health (ten pints) it was STILL really difficult. Make one mistake in a puzzle and that's it, you cant progress and because you have infinite health the only way to end the game it to reboot the system. Fall off a drawbridge, push the wrong switch, open the wrong door on the dog bit, mess up the see saw puzzle? same deal.
I finally managed to complete it with infinite health, a walk through, AND save states a few years back and it still felt like an achievement.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The Main Event a clunky 10p/quarter muncher but fun and so hard.

1551602-1181242136326.png

images

Gauntlet 2 is a pain. It's good sequel and a shame I haven't found a revision that doesn't take away the food. I know the Amiga and ST versions don't, but they are not arcade perfect. Great versions and I enjoyed the Amiga version very much as a teenager.
url

Last edited:
Soldato
The Main Event a clunky 10p/quarter muncher but fun and so hard.

images

Gauntlet 2 is a pain. It's good sequel and a shame I haven't found a revision that doesn't take away the food. I know the Amiga and ST versions don't, but they are not arcade perfect. Great versions and I enjoyed the Amiga version very much as a teenager.
url

I can play that on my arcade cab, though I only have two sets of controls, so two player only (Unless I plug in USB gamepads).

Back
Top Bottom