Garage Conversion (Office & Utility Room)

Soldato

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Is it a nuclear shelter? :p

Looks good, decent sized garage and should be a nice office space.

To try and keep a bit more warmth in I'd recommend buying a garage door floor strip, keeps draughts out and rubbish blowing in from underneath.

If the Coronavirus hits ;)

There is no need' the garage is at the front of the house. This little sketch minute might explain better (not to scale etc). The office will be completely private and not viewable or have any type of coldness from the front garage door.

d4ubAsS.jpg

Front (what people see) it will have the illusion (brick wallpaper ;) ) that its a standard garage at a quick glance. The length is a lot longer than a standard garage.
ji4yCSi.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah gotcha, looks good.

Still handy if you currently have leaves blowing in, keep that utility area tidy. The utility area in itself should act as a form of insulation as it will be a little warmer than outside and having the utilities against the insulated wall should help them. I had to put our fridge freezer against the wall attached to the house in the garage or it stops working when it gets too cold.

Btw what program are you using to make those plans?

Last edited:
Soldato
If the Coronavirus hits ;)

There is no need' the garage is at the front of the house. This little sketch minute might explain better (not to scale etc). The office will be completely private and not viewable or have any type of coldness from the front garage door.

d4ubAsS.jpg

Front (what people see) it will have the illusion (brick wallpaper ;) ) that its a standard garage at a quick glance. The length is a lot longer than a standard garage.
ji4yCSi.jpg

Mirrors.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Few progress shots. Build is coming along' however i am currently in the "in a bit of a mess" state:

0fC7wpE.jpg

8J8Yui8.jpg

Room will be plastered this week then finishing touches such as the heating; flooring and skirting. Then the carpenter will come to fit the custom desk etc.

The front side (garage door) is a bit of a mess at the moment but as soon as the carcasses are fitted i can start fitting the worktop and wallpapering the fake wall.

Soldato
what's the lighting choice then ... office ceiling diffuser panels , uplights ? unfortunately necessary to alarm it too, although blinds could help.

... the fake wall could have Andy's 1 million years bc poster .

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
what's the lighting choice then ... office ceiling diffuser panels , uplights ? unfortunately necessary to alarm it too, although blinds could help.

... the fake wall could have Andy's 1 million years bc poster .

Nothing fancy 4 spots inside and 2 up and down wall on the entrance. There is also an alarm being fitted and blinds.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Progress is a lot slower than i had anticipated. The electrician' is so unreliable he is holding the job up massively. The builder and carpenter; cant do much until all the electrics are in :(

Its still a mess. However the garage is coming together and it almost be impossible to tell there is a room behind due to the size of the garage. I suspect should I ever come to sell the property this would not put people off.

Garage Jobs Left:

Electrics to be finished x2 sockets above and below worktops.
insulation to go into roof above new room
Wallpaper plasterboard (brick effect)
Wall brackets for lawnmower
Clean garage out

GoOADK3.jpg

jvucw1C.jpg

Office Jobs Left:
Electrics - several points, WiFi thermostat, outside lights
Underfloor heating, insulation and flooring
Skirting & Coving
TV mounted
Office desk fitted
Glass fitted in doors
Finish painting
Outside landscaping (entrance)

DkR58Sf.jpg

UTT

UTT

Associate
Progress is a lot slower than i had anticipated. The electrician' is so unreliable he is holding the job up massively. The builder and carpenter; cant do much until all the electrics are in :(

Its still a mess. However the garage is coming together and it almost be impossible to tell there is a room behind due to the size of the garage. I suspect should I ever come to sell the property this would not put people off.

Garage Jobs Left:

Electrics to be finished x2 sockets above and below worktops.
insulation to go into roof above new room
Wallpaper plasterboard (brick effect)
Wall brackets for lawnmower
Clean garage out

GoOADK3.jpg

jvucw1C.jpg

Office Jobs Left:
Electrics - several points, WiFi thermostat, outside lights
Underfloor heating, insulation and flooring
Skirting & Coving
TV mounted
Office desk fitted
Glass fitted in doors
Finish painting
Outside landscaping (entrance)

DkR58Sf.jpg

Going with a retrofit 18mm thick Overlay wet system or electric for the underfloor?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
hea

Looks good. Only thing i'd be concerned about is running cost.

25mm kingspan underneath the heatmat?

5mm thick foam insulated boards.

Running costs works out about: 33p for 6-8 hours per day. £2.31 a week / £120.12 a year. This will be considerably cheaper than heating the entire house; as i will not be in there.

Soldato
5mm thick foam insulated boards.

Running costs works out about: 33p for 6-8 hours per day. £2.31 a week / £120.12 a year. This will be considerably cheaper than heating the entire house; as i will not be in there.

Your office looks good!

Are your calculations correct? It is 140 watts per squRe metre.

If its an 8x4m room (say) it is 32 sqm
Times by 0.14killowats = 4.48 kWHours (if its on for an hour)
Times that by energy rating

I appreciate i may have size wrong!

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Your office looks good!

Are your calculations correct? It is 140 watts per squRe metre.

If its an 8x4m room (say) it is 32 sqm
Times by 0.14killowats = 4.48 kWHours (if its on for an hour)
Times that by energy rating

I appreciate i may have size wrong!

8sqm office / 140W

so about £15 - 20 a month on 4-6 hours day?

Soldato
8sqm office / 140W

so about £15 - 20 a month on 4-6 hours day?

Ill rerun the maths for yoi

8 sqm
Times 0.14kw /m2 (this assume this is electrical energy in rather than rated heat out... There will be some minor inefficiencies)
=1.12 kw power hourly

Times by unit rate of your electric (measured in kw/hr) e.g times £0.15 per hour
=£0.168 per hour
* 6 hours = ~£1

Pretty good, £1 a day!

My concern would be losing all the heat in fairly thin insulation, but sounds fairly cheap tbh.

Soldato
don't you have to consider heat losses, and work backwords ie 100mm celotex r=0.2w/m2/k
outside surface area 4*2*2 + 4*2*2*2.5 = 60m2, maintain 20 degree delta => 240W*6 hours 1.5KW/day ..
but have to add something for heating up the room, it's heat capacity,
probably upper bounded, by keeping it on 24/7 ie 6KW ... so £1 , another way

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Update. Builder is starting back tomorrow as the glass ordered for the patio doors are only now available since lock down . Few small touches to be finished, such as glossing the skirting and coving, TV fitting and the desk. The garage also has to be finished as the utility room.

poyYeBq.jpg

Associate
Looking brilliant! How have you been getting on recently?

I’m doing similar, however by no means to the same extent. I’m taking small diy steps to get to a happy medium. Have plasterboarded the ceiling and insulated. Put some draught excluders around the garage door and insulated.
ive also added a bright led tube light, but there’s no natural light or heating. So I’m debating whether to replace the side door which currently has no glass for one that does. In the meantime I’ve got an electric oil plug in radiator for when it gets cold.

Back
Top Bottom