Gears Tactics

Soldato
Yeah, started to feel like it was just padding out the length of the game and some of the map layouts were basically identical.

Really enjoy the game overall though.

Me too. Wish I had it on steam, there's a mod that adds a lot more enemies (and variety). Played on experience, and it was mostly pretty straight forward. Insane though just felt too hard, but not actually fun. That mod, according to a lot of others, makes it a lot of fun, you need to use all your powers smartly, but can win with smart tactics.

Soldato
Trying to play on a 5700XT. Was running fine with drivers 20.4.1.

Recently the game kept saying the card was incompatible and has known problems, before launching and running okay.

Turns out there is 20.4.2 specifically for Gears Tactics, so the game must have known this. To avoid the prompt I decided to update.

After installing 20.4.2, the game is completely broken and crashes instantly. The answer on the internet is to roll back...

Soldato
Lol. Mine was saying that it's not compatible but running fine too (rx 580), so I ignored it. If it's not crashing, it's compatible, don't care what a message is tellling me.

Associate
I was getting a warning every start up about the game not running do to me not having the recommended specs (only 6GB ram).
I just clicked OK on that dialog and the game ran fine.
Then recently, last week or so I also started getting the "you card is not compatible" warning. I OK'd that dialog and ignored that as well.
Game ran fine. Completed it and deinstalled it.

I expect its the MS store login stuff that checks driver versions. They should make it a toggable featrue tbh.
As above its much safer to just stick with what works and only upgrade your drivers if something new doesnt work these days.

End mission was such a let down. I barely took any damage, the boss suffered from targeting issues and taking out his weapons had seemingly no effect.

Soldato
I was getting a warning every start up about the game not running do to me not having the recommended specs (only 6GB ram).
I just clicked OK on that dialog and the game ran fine.
Then recently, last week or so I also started getting the "you card is not compatible" warning. I OK'd that dialog and ignored that as well.
Game ran fine. Completed it and deinstalled it.

I expect its the MS store login stuff that checks driver versions. They should make it a toggable featrue tbh.
As above its much safer to just stick with what works and only upgrade your drivers if something new doesnt work these days.

End mission was such a let down. I barely took any damage, the boss suffered from targeting issues and taking out his weapons had seemingly no effect.

Taking out the weapons seems to keep him in one spot, but since it took everything I had to destroy them, it seemed pointless, since he'd then just move a few turns later, but as I'd blown my cooldowns, I didn't actually do much more damage.

Found act 3 in general rather repetitive by the end, still an enjoyable game, but I feel there's so much more that could be done.

Soldato
Anyone else stuck in Act 3? Not stuck due to bugs difficulty, but just lack of interest.

I've got into I think the second storyline mission. I now have, I think 3 side missions to do, but I can't summon up the will to play them. I would skip them if I could. This game just really seems to lose so much steam. Far too repetitive for me and certainly not enough depth. I'm also struggling with the progression of my team. I can't form any sort of bond with the non canonical group as every time they get close to levelling up I get a load of new guys a level ahead with full points to spend.

Soldato
I lost a lot of motivation in act 3, it got a lot more repetitive feeling, and it was a bit of a push to try and finish. They definitely didn't work the non-canonical characters well, as you say, you can just hire better people straight away (except for the one scout you get early and use every single mission possible).

It feels like they had to rush the 3rd chapter to me. There are more maps, they come up in the veteran missions, so I don't know why they didn't use them, so you don't end up doing missions, that are repeats of side missions you've already completed (generally under harder conditions).

Soldato
Definitely not a miss. Absolutely bang on target for 2/3rds of the distance, then they ran out of time/budget/energy or something. Some mods seem to really make a nice addition too. It needed more love and attention for how they increased difficulty, and the last 1/3rd of the game (including the veteran missions there).

It's absolutely fun game though, once you get more skills unlocked, you can have some really awesome moments going through slaughtering and doing brilliant things. It just burns out at the end, when it really feels like a few adjustments could have made it so much better.

Associate
So reading this thread, it seems like it's another miss for Xbox Game Studios? I only played the first few missions before moving on to something else myself.
For the pound I paid to play or at the £25 quid mark it would have been value for money. At the stupid price they are charging its not.
The in level engine and the polished delivery are great, the characters are awesome with there little moves and how they interact with the scenery and the little voiced barks.
The game lacks, random levels, a strategic layer and an actual reason to start a new game once you have completed it.
Vet missions are a cop out in a single player game and if they have indeed locked maps behind that content then its another big fail.

Theres no explanation as to where all these random squadies are coming from or indeed where they go to when they leave or timeout, just a constant stream of fresh meat that has more skills than your current ones and with better gear. So the best tactic quickly becomes to recruit for gear and dismiss and then kit out your a-team.

Soldato
No, that wouldn't have worked, they just needed to finish it stronger.

I like the lack of a strategy layer to be honest, but agree it needs a little more than it has.

It almost feels like a demo build in some ways. It feels like they could have done so much more with it. Reduce the restrictions on characters used, more maps, do not use story maps in side missions etc. Then at the end of the story, build the colony/township up, rescue missions being how you get soldiers etc etc.

Huge amount of potential.

I wouldn't have paid full price for it though.

Soldato
No, that wouldn't have worked, they just needed to finish it stronger.

I like the lack of a strategy layer to be honest, but agree it needs a little more than it has.

It almost feels like a demo build in some ways. It feels like they could have done so much more with it. Reduce the restrictions on characters used, more maps, do not use story maps in side missions etc. Then at the end of the story, build the colony/township up, rescue missions being how you get soldiers etc etc.

Huge amount of potential.

I wouldn't have paid full price for it though.

Agreed, game pass has saved me a fortune these past few months and the code was for free so making the most of it.

Soldato
Agreed, game pass has saved me a fortune these past few months and the code was for free so making the most of it.

Now I'm doing so much bannerlord, I think I might just reduce mine to the xbox only for the immediate future, since there's a few things there I'll be playing with my son, and bannerlord satiates my gaming on PC for now. I guess it depends on what they release soon.

Permabanned
I tried this because WAB said it was good but I didn't get past the tutorial. I had everything on ultra and I thought the graphics were woeful. The blood disappearing was lame too.

Associate
I really like the gameplay in this just can't be bothered with all the parts/armour and stats at the moment, think I may leave it for a while and come back later and give it another go.

Soldato
I really like the gameplay in this just can't be bothered with all the parts/armour and stats at the moment, think I may leave it for a while and come back later and give it another go.

Until you've got the epic/legendary gear, it's not really that worthwhile spending too much time on a lot of it. Some of the legendary gear (and to a degree epic) can completely make a build insane. There's stuff for a grenadier scout, that combined with skills, turns them from powerful, to insane. And it's just fun playing with insane builds.

Soldato
I started this just got to the Brumak fight tbh it's a **** take, attempted it four times so far and Brumak just knocks me down so much.

Tried keeping 2 members at each side but he never moved from right side so am always losing two of em early on.

The difficulty spike from the normal missions to that one is seriously op imo

I expect boss fights to be harder but it feels more like it's just unbalanced.

Doesn't help I think the sniper is mostly sack of turd

Back
Top Bottom