Geek Squad is the biggest scam in gaming

Caporegime
I took out a similar plan a while back when I first got my PS3. I didn't pay that much though was only £99 extra on top of my bundle plus I'm paying £19.99 a month which covers anything ranging from updates that come out to trophy syncing.

You paid £99 to have somone turn it on and £19.99 an month install your updates/press sync trophies for you?

And you think that's a good deal?:eek:

Caporegime
Why not, if the customer is rich and wants to save time then go for it.

Lots of similar things out there, not everyone is as technology minded as the people of this forum.

Would probbaly take longer waiting for the guy to come out than to read the manual or on screen instructions and do it yourself.

Associate
There are a lot of idiots with computers here. I've fixed countless ones and assisted a few people with simple PS3 configuration. Most common is people not knowing their WiFi encryption key or how to get it.

Caporegime
There are a lot of idiots with computers here. I've fixed countless ones and assisted a few people with simple PS3 configuration. Most common is people not knowing their WiFi encryption key or how to get it.

Why does no one ever read the instructions leaflet that comes with your router it's generraly under 20 scentences long ffs:(

Soldato
tw***ng idiots those geek sqauds are, jebus! companies nowadays will try anything to get money..

I don't agree.I say they're pretty clever.It's the people that pay them that are idiots.
Unfortunately as i'm technically minded I have to sort out my brother's problems with PS3's etc.All 3 of my brothers!

Soldato
OP
Why not, if the customer is rich and wants to save time then go for it.

Lots of similar things out there, not everyone is as technology minded as the people of this forum.

Are you ****** serious? save time? like 5 minutes?

If you're going to buy a PS3, you obviously know a thing or two about what you're buying. You don't just spend £250/$300 on something without knowing a shred of detail about the product. Most of the stuff they are charging you is a simple button press.

Most people have filled out thousands and thousands of forms in their life, forms a lot more complicated than setting up a psn account. I'm pretty sure anyone on the face of this earth can figure out how a console works.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely against them doing this and ripping people off but

if someone said they'll give you $130 to setup their PS3, who wouldn't? Morals aside, pure business thinking, you'd have to be mad not to. It's like highstreet shops charging £50 for a HDMI cable which you can get online extremely easy for under £5 if you use your head.

Some people these days just can't be bothered to think or don't care about the money side of things. Would be good to hear how much money they make off this as it;s great from a business POV if people are dumb enough!

Soldato
Not trying to sound like Mr.Perfect, but I honestly wouldn't take money for something like this. I'd just tell them to read the manual as it tells you what to do in there.

That's you though.I wouldn't take money either.But if people are willing to pay then there are always people that'll take the money.

Soldato
I don't live in america so I have no idea.
Most likely gamestop thought it'd be a good plan to make some easy money.

They've obviously had a lot of call for it to get the promotional material together.

It is a service they should offer, because there are a lot of people out there who do not have a clue... However $129 that is a rip off.. Maybe $30.. But then it just wouldn't be worth their time.

Soldato
Are there people that have actually asked to pay someone to set up a ps3? Or did gamestop just think this was a good idea?

as the ps3 itself takes you through everything step-by-step iam guessing this service is purely for people who simply cant read, which makes having a written advert somewhat self-defeating.

Back
Top Bottom