Geek Squad is the biggest scam in gaming

Soldato
OP
no it's not :p.

Ok you got me there. :(

They used to charge for xbox updates. :D They don't anymore though since Microsoft found out.

original.jpg

Caporegime
Believe it or not there are actually people who will require their services, the only problem I see with it are the extortionate prices.

Caporegime
I wouldn't buy it, neither would you, neither would probably anyone on this forum.

I wouldn't bet on that:eek:

I took out a similar plan a while back when I first got my PS3. I didn't pay that much though was only £99 extra on top of my bundle plus I'm paying £19.99 a month which covers anything ranging from updates that come out to trophy syncing.

Soldato
An hour?:confused:

Who is thier man stephan hawking? :/

No, it's an hourly charge plus 'call-out' fee... They have to drive to your house, which means a vehicle/fuel etc..

There is a reason most plumbers/electricians etc charge a call-out fee which is a combination of getting to your house + initial labour charge (if you are lucky)..

I'd say as bad as people think, it's the going rate for a home visit to do something you clearly don't know how to do (no matter how 'easy' we find it!).

To say it's a rip off would only be true if
1. It was compulsory
2. It was not inline with other 'services' in-home charges.
3. There weren't plenty of people out there that don't have a clue and actually would benefit from the service

I'm completely in agreement that the actual task involved is so trivial to me that on the surface it seems like high-way robbery, but actually, thinking about it, it's simply on-par with the rest of industry, and it's a bit naive to make a big song and dance about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I took out a similar plan a while back when I first got my PS3. I didn't pay that much though was only £99 extra on top of my bundle plus I'm paying £19.99 a month which covers anything ranging from updates that come out to trophy syncing.

Why would you play £99 to have a PS3 setup? And why pay £19.99 a month for updates, as for sync of trophies, you're having me on right?

A PS3 almost sets itself up, its not hard. Most of the settings for a PS3 are personal choices anyhow....

Is it me, or are consumers really not able to follow a few onscreen instructions?

Permabanned
lol guys i charge 50 quid to set up peoples laptops, sure ts usually just a case of replacing the AV (norton/mcafee) and using a wep/wpa code to get online but you forget that these things are a mystery to some. I once got called out as some kid had a ps3 and wanted it online but couldnt get his tiscali disk to work in the PS3 drive...... EXACTLY!

If you need it the service is there and thats a good thing, it means single mums who struggle enough as it is without climbing through a web of wireless jargon and setup options, can buy their kids something nice with the confidence it will all be up and running. Stop moaning.

I think its bonkers that some people pay garages to have oil changes and brake pads replaced, perfectly easy to do with a spanner and a cup of tea but people stil pay up to and over £100 for this sort of basic service

Soldato
Why would you play £99 to have a PS3 setup? And why pay £19.99 a month for updates, as for sync of trophies, you're having me on right?

A PS3 almost sets itself up, its not hard. Most of the settings for a PS3 are personal choices anyhow....

Is it me, or are consumers really not able to follow a few onscreen instructions?

You would hope he was being sarcastic... not enough ;)'s.. :D

Soldato
If you need it the service is there and thats a good thing, it means single mums who struggle enough as it is without climbing through a web of wireless jargon and setup options, can buy their kids something nice with the confidence it will all be up and running. Stop moaning.

I think its bonkers that some people pay garages to have oil changes and brake pads replaced, perfectly easy to do with a spanner and a cup of tea but people stil pay up to and over £100 for this sort of basic service

They struggle enough as it is because they are getting ripped off with services like this.

I'd rather pay a professional mechanic to tinker with my car and keep me safe on the road rather than me with no mechanical knowledge going online and looking up how to do it and then find out i did something wrong when im in hospital because my new brake pads didn't work.

Permabanned
They struggle enough as it is because they are getting ripped off with services like this.

I'd rather pay a professional mechanic to tinker with my car and keep me safe on the road rather than me with no mechanical knowledge going online and looking up how to do it and then find out i did something wrong when im in hospital because my new brake pads didn't work.

Oh dear you are very naiive, get out in the world and work with real people for a few years. Out of the 1-200 people i see weekly with computer issues i assure you only a handful could set up a console and get it online.

Take this parallel

1)things about your new console you need to know to set it up

• Connection type - HDMI/Component/Composite/SCART
  • Resolution/HD settings 480p/720p/1080i/1080p
  • Wireless encryption method wep/WPA-PSK/AES
  • Wireless encryption key location
  • Parental Controls on/off
  • Access point SSID

Now to you and me that is jargon we are comfortable with, when presented with choices like that during setup we would pretty instantly know what to choose and enter.

Now go show that list to mum and dad, or even your grandparents. Ask them which option they would choose and for them to state briefly 'WHY' they chose that. You will get a lot of blank faces because if i asked those questions of my girlfriend she'd know less than half.

Dont be so arrogant as to assume that anyone who doesnt understand something you do must be an idiot.

Besides look at your mechanic comment

So your saying that youd rather pay a professional to ensure something you dont understand fully is properly set up since you lack the confidence to do it yourself? If so then i submit you might aswell be buying the pack in the OP

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh dear you are very naiive, get out in the world and work with real people for a few years. Out of the 1-200 people i see weekly with computer issues i assure you only a handful could set up a console and get it online.

Take this parallel

• Access point SSID

Now to you and me that is jargon we are comfortable with, when presented with choices like that during setup we would pretty instantly know what to choose and enter.

Now go show that list to mum and dad, or even your grandparents. Ask them which option they would choose and for them to state briefly 'WHY' they chose that. You will get a lot of blank faces because if i asked those questions of my girlfriend she'd know less than half.

Dont be so arrogant as to assume that anyone who doesnt understand something you do must be an idiot.

Did i say anywhere that these people where idiots? Did i say anywhere that services like this are bad? Did i say anywhere that some people would not understand? Jesus learn to read before you rant.

Services like this are fine. BUT, the pricing needs to be reasonable. If you think that price is reasonable, you sir are a con artist and a jerk tbh. Something like £30 setup would be more than acceptable, but $129? Jesus H Christ come on.

And how can you compare something so insignificant like PS3 setup to something to do with car repair? Everything you need to setup a PS3 is found online on Sony's own website. The actual setup on a PS3 is so simple there is even an option called "Easy".

First result on Google with a search "ps3 wireless setup", and there is a 2min video that shows on to set it up and even gives you links to info on WEP keys etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7aPylbI3M

You need to ask yourself, why would your parents or grandparents even buy a PS3? Are they gonna go online and shoot up some Arabs on COD4? They need to think, "hmm, maybe i may have trouble setting this up". They know what they are getting themselves into, if they can't set it up properly then by all means pay an absurd amount on money to get someone else to do it. If they want a blu-ray player, buy a Panasonic one and plug it in a away you go.

Last edited:
Soldato

Take this parallel

• Access point SSID

Actually, thanks for posting..... Its all true. My gf wouldn't know half of this. Just because I know doesn't mean others do, but most do know how to read the instruction booklet, and for the actual PS3 software setup and screens, I do think 'nearly' anyone could follow the onscreen instructions....

However, yes just because I know I shouldn't expect others to know as well..... but then, how did I ever find out about half of this stuff? I didn't get lessons on wireless networking, HDMI connections or knowing what 2 phono RCA and digital audio can do, and what it means or how it can change how your PS3 processes the audio in HD movies etc.....

I do however know how to use google.... But again, I shouldn't expect others to know this either.... there is however a load of online videos for PS3 setup as well, its not really all that hard.. not worthy of nearly £80 of anyones money TBH

Soldato
I've been paid to setup people's PS3's in the past (ok £20 or so as a favour!) but I have found in recent years people have more disposable income it's more common to pay someone to do something than just figuring it out themselves!

I've noticed there are far more individuals setting up little gardening businesses, car detailing services, odd job repairs, computer repairs/setup etc as people can generally afford this stuff or rather pay someone else to do it.

The amount of work I've had as Mrs X is fedup with Mr X never getting around to buying a new PC or setting up the broadband as she wants to go on Facebook - if people are lazy enough not to find out how something works then fair play (although the OP's example was a little on the rip-off side!)

Permabanned
Did i say anywhere that these people where idiots? Did i say anywhere that services like this are bad? Did i say anywhere that some people would not understand? Jesus learn to read before you rant.

Services like this are fine. BUT, the pricing needs to be reasonable. If you think that price is reasonable, you sir are a con artist and a jerk tbh. Something like £30 setup would be more than acceptable, but $129? Jesus H Christ come on.

And how can you compare something so insignificant like PS3 setup to something to do with car repair? Everything you need to setup a PS3 is found online on Sony's own website. The actual setup on a PS3 is so simple there is even an option called "Easy".

First result on Google with a search "ps3 wireless setup", and there is a 2min video that shows on to set it up and even gives you links to info on WEP keys etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7aPylbI3M

What you fail to understand is you have no idea of the costs involved, how far these guys need to travel to get to the install location, 10 miles in city traffic can cost over £20 of OUR petrol, then you have to remember these guys are paid a wage, then theres the cost of time getting to and from the location and on to other jobs the cost of tax and insurance on the cars, the cost of wear and tear. Liabilities insurance (mandatory when working in other peoples homes), employees personal insurance (again mandatory when staff attend offsite). All of these costs add up and the company still has to make money.

Soldato
What you fail to understand is you have no idea of the costs involved, how far these guys need to travel to get to the install location, 10 miles in city traffic can cost over £20 of OUR petrol, then you have to remember these guys are paid a wage, then theres the cost of time getting to and from the location and on to other jobs the cost of tax and insurance on the cars, the cost of wear and tear. Liabilities insurance (mandatory when working in other peoples homes), employees personal insurance (again mandatory when staff attend offsite). All of these costs add up and the company still has to make money.

So you think $129 is acceptable then?

Soldato
I could understand paying for someone to come out and say setup your console on your router so you didn't get any strict NAT nonsense for online gaming, however that would only be if you weren't confident enough to do it yourself and didn't know anyone who could do it for you. Paying for someone to do firmware updates is like paying for someone to come out and do Windows updates for you.

Permabanned
Actually, thanks for posting..... Its all true. My gf wouldn't know half of this. Just because I know doesn't mean others do, but most do know how to read the instruction booklet, and for the actual PS3 software setup and screens, I do think 'nearly' anyone could follow the onscreen instructions....

However, yes just because I know I shouldn't expect others to know as well..... but then, how did I ever find out about half of this stuff? I didn't get lessons on wireless networking, HDMI connections or knowing what 2 phono RCA and digital audio can do, and what it means or how it can change how your PS3 processes the audio in HD movies etc.....

I do however know how to use google.... But again, I shouldn't expect others to know this either.... there is however a load of online videos for PS3 setup as well, its not really all that hard.. not worthy of nearly £80 of anyones money TBH

If you disagree then I want someone here to set a task, take a non-tech minded person but someone aware of how things can be done (such as say going online and getting tips) so your average 30 something mum or dad would be good or even a GF providing shes not a big gamer/PC enthusiast. Then place a factory settings PS3 within a wireless network and ask them to set it up correctly and get it online, correct connections to the telly, correct resolutions/HD mode correct wireless info.

While some people will manage it ill bet a lot dont and those who do will be stressed out by it at times simply not knowing what to do. Lack of stress is often worth a lot of real world money in the long run

Back
Top Bottom