Geek Squad is the biggest scam in gaming

Soldato
If you disagree then I want someone here to set a task, take a non-tech minded person but someone aware of how things can be done (such as say going online and getting tips) so your average 30 something mum or dad would be good or even a GF providing shes not a big gamer/PC enthusiast. Then place a factory settings PS3 within a wireless network and ask them to set it up correctly and get it online, correct connections to the telly, correct resolutions/HD mode correct wireless info.

While some people will manage it ill bet a lot dont and those who do will be stressed out by it at times simply not knowing what to do. Lack of stress is often worth a lot of real world money in the long run

Wasn't disagreeing, just saying its not hard to find the information to do this yourself. your point is totally valid, and yes I agree. The stress for some would be too much...... I'm sure my mum wouldn't be able to get my PS3 up and running as I've got it, but she'd get it running to a point where she'd at least get it to run a game or play a DVD....

She'd struggle to get a BD remote registered, wouldn't get the wireless up and running, but I bet she'd do what I would expect her to do...

and thats find a number for a playstation support line or call someone that she'd know would do it for free in the family...

OK, agree she is getting help for free..... The charge for this service is overpriced but I can see a reason for it..... I wasn't making myself clear, just because I know doesn't mean the rest do.. But I do think its easy enough to get the information, and most would or can do this....

So what I'm saying is that if most don't know, they'll have sense to find out, but for the small number who don't, a service like this is good... Just not at this cost....

Permabanned
So you think $129 is acceptable then?

in the american market with their highly elevated insurance and liability fees and a generaly higher wage level then yes. Average callout over here is £70 inc 1 hour which is near as dammit $100 and more like $140 depending on the economy/exchange at the time. Call around a few firms and ask them what their callout fee is and you will see its the market standard.

It sounds to me like you think $129 is a lot of money, fair enough, it will be to some people sure, but to others its pocket change and the service is well worth it TO THEM.

Plus you are forgetting what if someone has a hectic job, god pay but lots of work, does he/she really wanna be spending his/her evenings on google researching how to do something 'technical' that they are not interested in? What is the value of your own time? When you are a kid sure you have all the time in the world, but in later years your free time is worth substantially more, and you will pay to keep it free!

Soldato

Seen that before and its basically spot on. I remember buying a computer from the purple place and then having to get it repaired. The cost was extortionate, something like £150-£200 if i remember correctly. Also i remember when we bought our first CD-Rewriter. The same company charged us £70 for installing it, which of course is just done by plugging in the ribbon cable and molex connector. All of which where found in the instruction manual.

Looking back i can't believe we paid that amount for something that can be easily done by anyone if they bother to read the manual.

Associate
I think its great that there are services like this available to people, I receive regular phone calls from friends and family when they need help setting stuff up. Sometimes what appears to us to be the simplest thing, really is a nightmare for other people.

My brother phoned me the other day, he was trying to fix his mobile, he needed to download the Nokia PC suite software and updater program, so sent him a few links over msn for that, got it all installed, when he ran the updater it would hang for ages on load up then pop up for like 3 seconds saying "Connection Failed TCP Connection error" or something like that, so I had a little look round seems like a few other people had had problems with it, turns out he just needed to open a few ports on the firewall on his router. For me this is no problem took me 2 minutes to find the correct ports, but trying to explain to my brother how to do this......... 3 hours. Gave up had to get a friend to pop round and help him. (I Live nearly 400 miles away so cant just pop round)

That is a perfect example of why these services are avaliable, not everybody knows a computer geek, maybe the prices could be a bit better.....

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The hardest part would be configuring the Wi-Fi connectivity.

The HDMI connection is auto-detected and configured with a press of 1 button. Firmware updates that are required pop up, and on-screen instruction tell you how to update. Oh and you don't really need a PSN account unless you plan on downloading games, so this seems like a blatant robbery :o

Soldato
No you said...

no way in hell it would take that long.

Just looking at what they are supposedly offering..

1. Unboxing console
2. Understanding existing setup/location of mains supply/TV capabilities
3. Installing cables
4. Getting PS3 setup on customers network (and getting any security details for wireless encryption if used)
5. Install firmware of the week (could be done up front, but still takes time even if not on customer premises)
6. Setup new PSN Master account including getting an acceptable name
7. Explain how to switch TV to the correct input for PS3 and any other items of relevance.
8. Answering any questions from customer

I'd say 30-60 mins would be their target time..

It took 25 mins for Toshiba to unbox/cable in my TV and do the initial setup, explaining how to switch it to HDMI1 for SKY to the missus (I was at work)..

The HDMI connection is auto-detected and configured with a press of 1 button. Firmware updates that are required pop up, and on-screen instruction tell you how to update. Oh and you don't really need a PSN account unless you plan on downloading games, so this seems like a blatant robbery :o

They say on their add that they do the following
1. Setup and Configure gaming console
2. Installation of latest firmware updates
3. Setup local user account with parental controls
4. Setup and configuration of one online account (Presumably a master account).

I'd rather be a plumber and change a tap washer for the same amount of money to be honest..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom