• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GT 1030 (GP108) Rumours

Soldato
OP
Harsh but fair my friend. I'd take a low profile rx550 over it every single day of the week. It's just got better features for around the same money. I still have the 1030 and occasionally look at it and wonder what the hell I was thinking.
What better features are those? 3D performance is very close between the two and they support the same resolutions, codecs etc. However, the rx550 draws more power and requires active cooling.

Man of Honour
What better features are those? 3D performance is very close between the two and they support the same resolutions, codecs etc. However, the rx550 draws more power and requires active cooling.

Sorry my bad I probably shouldn't have said features as they are basically similar cards in that respect. What I really meant was that some 550's are baffin cores which can be unlocked to have more shaders and compute units, basically you can get them closer to 560 levels of performance. Lexa based 550's can also be bios modded and fettled with whereas my little 1030 although as you say a decent htpc card doesn't really have any party tricks. rx550's redeeming feature is its mining capability and ability to massively undervolt, it can do the htpc stuff but can also hash like a little beast. I haven't really found anything that 1030 punches above its weight at which is probably why I left disappointed. It can do everything but doesn't at any stage surprise you.

Soldato
Harsh but fair my friend. I'd take a low profile rx550 over it every single day of the week. It's just got better features for around the same money. I still have the 1030 and occasionally look at it and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Around the same money? It's £100+ or around an extra 40%... which is bordering on 1050 money.

I'm actually surprised MSI launched a card. They originally announced an low profile RX460 over a year ago which was vapourware.

I'm more than happy with the 1030 for HTPC and a bit of light gaming.

Soldato
What's the chance of a GT 1040 being released in the nearish future? The 1030 chipset has the unused cores for this so Nvidia must have intended to make a more powerful version but has the current GPU situation made it not worth it? I have a 1030 in my HTPC and another in the small PC I use for shows but they're both only used at 1080p. Something less than a GTX 1050 but with DVI-DL to feed my KVM and 1440p screen would be very useful.

BTW Why does an RX550 need active cooling? I have a passive GTX 1050 Ti which should draw 50% more than the 550 so a passive 550 should be possible.

Man of Honour
I didn't look at current prices to be fair. I paid round 70£ for the 1030 and 81£ each for a pair of 4gb 550's. Last week I bought a pair of 2gb 550's for 75 quid each so I was kinda goin by what I paid.

Back
Top Bottom