• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Gerard, you are correct it was a bug and the fixed driver maintained the performance increase of the bugged one while restoring image quality to the correct level: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/post-mortem-on-atis-q3-drivers-cheat-bug.145/

And that guys comment think it was buggy Hyper Z, I don't see how buggy Z culling process was affecting how mip map levels where processed in a title for single application coded in the driver (back then games did'nt have profile like we do now). It also would seem very very odd that if this not flagged before that driver was released as Q3 at the time was one the THE titles to benchmark and play at the , so why hard code a "optimisation" which had a "bug" that conveniently boosted performance while reducing IQ.

Even after all that it was a "bug" then they where incompetent for not seeing the issue or not caring.

Both company's have done very iffy stuff in there drivers, ATI/AMD with this and or the "new" Rage Pro Turbo etc, Nvidia with AF shimmering issues, the 3.5gb things etc

Associate
And that guys comment think it was buggy Hyper Z, I don't see how buggy Z culling process was affecting how mip map levels where processed in a title for single application coded in the driver (back then games did'nt have profile like we do now). It also would seem very very odd that if this not flagged before that driver was released as Q3 at the time was one the THE titles to benchmark and play at the , so why hard code a "optimisation" which had a "bug" that conveniently boosted performance while reducing IQ.

Even after all that it was a "bug" then they where incompetent for not seeing the issue or not caring.

Both company's have done very iffy stuff in there drivers, ATI/AMD with this and or the "new" Rage Pro Turbo etc, Nvidia with AF shimmering issues, the 3.5gb things etc
Except they fixed the bug without losing performance so they were not dropping iq for perf reasons.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
A segue but Since when were the final fantasy games open world action games? Last one I played had random turn based combat and was just mathd and combat was a deparate thing from the game. (Ie stardard jrpg stuff) maybe need to check out

Soldato
OK, it's still not fully optimised, but create a complex mission in DCS and it'll happily eat all 8GB of my VRAM.

Some games naturally fill it. It's not the same however as needing it for maximum performance. This is where things get complicated as they're two different things and it's difficult to monitor.

bru

bru

Soldato
I seems like only yesterday that the shadow of Mordor was used by AMD supporters to demonstrate that the 4GB Fiji based cards were fine memory wise and now its sequel the shadow of war is being used to demonstrate how NVidia's 8GB isn't enough.
I can only assume that the wonderful High bandwidth cache will be the next thing mentioned. ;)

Soldato
I seems like only yesterday that the shadow of Mordor was used by AMD supporters to demonstrate that the 4GB Fiji based cards were fine memory wise and now its sequel the shadow of war is being used to demonstrate how NVidia's 8GB isn't enough.
I can only assume that the wonderful High bandwidth cache will be the next thing mentioned. ;)

You do realize that Athlon is a big hater of AMD Gpu's and a big supporter of Nvidia :D:D:D:D:D. You probably got confused due to his name. So i doubt you will be hearing much about High Bandwidth Cache from him although when it was demoed it worked great. 2gb using HBC was running better than a 4gb card running short on memory. I haven't seen much of it lately but i dare say a AMD HBC card with 8gb would be better than a 8gb NV card if games were using the full 8gb up.

Any how i personally think 8gb is fine atm and probably will be for a while yet unless you are pushing stupid settings at 4k.

Back
Top Bottom