• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
An

Any good single player games, you recommend? I haven't played them in years.
For a the intel? Maybe the original Deus Ex :)

Hard to recommend games without knowing what type of games you enjoy. Like there are many massively popular games out there that do not do it for me. Say this new PUGB game or whatever it is called. People love it and it is one of the most played games on steam, but I have zero interest to play it. Much prefer single player games these days.

Looking forward to play Final Fantasy XV and really looking forward to Resident Evil 2 Remake. I will do something I rarely do and buy it day 1 to support them so they can hopefully remake Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica. I have fond memories of Resident Evil games from childhood and enjoy replaying them ever few year. Shame they lost their way with Resident Evil 4 on wards. 7 was a big improvement mind, but still not the same.

Associate
I sit about 3.7gb on my gtx 980. Cards do that, doesnt mean you need more ram.
You may find some modern games like the vram hungry Rise of the Tomb Raider start to use your slower system RAM more so (depending on resolution/settings) compared to if you had a card with much more vram. This isn't a game breaking symptom of having less vram, but not ideal.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I sit about 3.7gb on my gtx 980. Cards do that, doesnt mean you need more ram.

Have just checked. In my earlier session tonight, and on a fairly simple mission, was using upto 7.864GB of VRAM, implying that if I'd had more, it would have used some of that too.
Just saying....

Caporegime
Have just checked. In my earlier session tonight, and on a fairly simple mission, was using upto 7.864GB of VRAM, implying that if I'd had more, it would have used some of that too.
Just saying....
The only thing that matters is frame-rate and IQ tho. Ram "usage" is neither here nor there, if it doesn't lead to a difference in one of those two.

Mabye the engine wouldn't ever unload textures from VRAM if you had 32GB VRAM. Maybe those textures are only used in 1 room you passed through 30 minutes ago. Maybe those textures are just sitting there unused because the engine sees so much VRAM it has no need to unload them. Who knows?

Unless you have two identical cards with different amounts of VRAM - and you can measure FPS or IQ differences between them - then it's somewhat meaningless how much VRAM your game is "using".

Associate
Looking forward to play Final Fantasy XV and really looking forward to Resident Evil 2 Remake. I will do something I rarely do and buy it day 1 to support them so they can hopefully remake Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica. I have fond memories of Resident Evil games from childhood and enjoy replaying them ever few year. Shame they lost their way with Resident Evil 4 on wards. 7 was a big improvement mind, but still not the same.
Going to thoroughly enjoy the Resident Evil 2 Remake, hopefully we will get a teaser at least at E3. Also waiting on the new cards before I go for Final Fantasy XV, so fingers crossed the TomsHardware leak for a July release is from a reliable source.

Associate
OP
Going to thoroughly enjoy the Resident Evil 2 Remake, hopefully we will get a teaser at least at E3. Also waiting on the new cards before I go for Final Fantasy XV, so fingers crossed the TomsHardware leak for a July release is from a reliable source.

A few sites are claiming June the 15th, I believe it was June in with the 980 Ti was released, such a specific date as well I'd love for it to be true however I'm saving up for a car and my 980 Ti is doing just fine even at 4k

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The only thing that matters is frame-rate and IQ tho. Ram "usage" is neither here nor there, if it doesn't lead to a difference in one of those two.

Mabye the engine wouldn't ever unload textures from VRAM if you had 32GB VRAM. Maybe those textures are only used in 1 room you passed through 30 minutes ago. Maybe those textures are just sitting there unused because the engine sees so much VRAM it has no need to unload them. Who knows?

Unless you have two identical cards with different amounts of VRAM - and you can measure FPS or IQ differences between them - then it's somewhat meaningless how much VRAM your game is "using".

Not sure I buy that.
My understanding is that when a GPU runs out of VRAM, that it then swaps data from VRAM to normal RAM and vice versa. If there's not enough RAM, then Pagefile, which on older systems could be a HDD.
So whilst the card has what it needs, the frame rate will look fine. When it runs out, the frame rate might nominally look the same, but there could be stutters, anything from micro to really obvious.

That's very much what happened in DCS 2.5 just after release.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Really hope so. A few places are saying we won’t be getting anything any time soon. I hope they are wrong as I would really like a 1180 July/August. I also picked up Injustice 2 ultimate edition for £12 recently when it was on offer, fancy playing that also. My 1080 struggled to play that at 4K 60fps when I tried the demo, so it will be nice to play that also on a 1180 :)

Permabanned
An

Any good single player games, you recommend? I haven't played them in years.

For a the intel? Maybe the original Deus Ex :)

If you own the original Deus Ex on Steam go into the store and search for Deus Ex Revision, It's a heavily modded version of the original game that is free to play if you own Deus Ex. It has it's own store page and if you uninstall it it will disappear from you games collection so if you ever want to play it again you'll need to search the store page for it again, Bit odd but simple enough, It has Steam Achievements so maybe if you play it and get an achievement it may stay in the collection, I don't know as I still haven't got around to playing it yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/Deus_Ex_Revision/

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you own the original Deus Ex on Steam go into the store and search for Deus Ex Revision, It's a heavily modded version of the original game that is free to play if you own Deus Ex. It has it's own store page and if you uninstall it it will disappear from you games collection so if you ever want to play it again you'll need to search the store page for it again, Bit odd but simple enough, It has Steam Achievements so maybe if you play it and get an achievement it may stay in the collection, I don't know as I still haven't got around to playing it yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/Deus_Ex_Revision/
Doubt revision would work on an intel integrated gpu, unless he is gaming at a super low resolution.

Permabanned
Hopefully we get some 1180 news soon.

Hopefully, I'm thinking about grabbing an 1180, When I look at how long the 1080 has been what it is and how it hasn't been replaced in 2 years I could kick myself for not buying one on release, At the time I was too busy bitching about the founders tax as well as waiting for Vega but I won't make that mistake again, I'll wait for the non reference 1180's & then jump on one of those this time around, I'll then do some gaming on my 4k TV and if it runs okay I'll probably sell my Freesync monitor as well.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hopefully, I'm thinking about grabbing an 1180, When I look at how long the 1080 has been what it is and how it hasn't been replaced in 2 years I could kick myself for not buying one on release, At the time I was too busy bitching about the founders tax as well as waiting for Vega but I won't make that mistake again, I'll wait for the non reference 1180's & then jump on one of those this time around, I'll then do some gaming on my 4k TV and if it runs okay I'll probably sell my Freesync monitor as well.

I know exactly what you mean. This is why I sold my 4K Freesync monitor and went for a G-Sync one. I don't fancy waiting for non reference, I want it from day one. I can just buy the EVGA Hybrid Waterblock Cooler for it if need be :D

Fingers crossed it is at least 20% faster than a 1080Ti.

Permabanned
I want it from day one. I can just buy the EVGA Hybrid Waterblock Cooler for it if need be :D

I thought about that but I think I'm going to go for a Zotac AMP so as well as a decent cooler it gives me a decent warranty as I think I'll try and keep it for as long as possible rather than keep paying over the top prices. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky & have it break down on me near the end of it's 5 year warranty and get me a nice replacement :D

Hopefully we will see some real leaked benchies soon...

It's disappointedly quiet at the moment unless you listen to the fake news sites spouting the usual guff.

Back
Top Bottom