• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
1200W PSU here with overclocked 7900X and 1080Ti and power draw can peak 900W when gaming alone. For X299 refresh and Turing, I fully expect to be making good use of 1KW+.

Also, it's not problematic; more due to efficiency.

Waaaaat? No way... the recommended psu for the 1080ti is like 500-600w isn’t it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I just thought for efficiency and I also read stability... and you know the environment;)

I say this because I was going to get a bigger psu, just in case I wanted to go nvlink or sli or whatever they call it now, but read it’s actully bad for the system stability, the PSU and the efficiency :)

Edit - Oh and I’m wanting to keep my electricity bill down after buying a Tesla and charging from home. And yes I did edit in that I have a Tesla to show off! Lol

never heard or seen of a higher wattage PSU inherently affecting system stability. efficiency is the only thing , and even then its a matter of pennies not pounds. I plan to be dead long before my affect on the world is apparent. ill happily raise the temps of the uk :p

Caporegime
What exactly are you running to have a 1300w psu in your system exactly? I’ve got an 850w and that should be fine with the XC ultra 2080Ti and an oc 8086k... you do realise that running a psu with excessive wattage in a system that doesn’t need it can also be problematic? Or so I’ve read...
I had replied to the reason I have that PSU and where on earth did you get it will be problematic from? It is a superb PSU made by Superflower and super efficient. You do come across as a bit rude at times.

Associate
The way they've handled this release is mind boggling.

I'm waiting for TechPowerUp's review performance summary, and waiting to see 2080 performance be around 10% faster than a 1080 Ti only. The 2080 Ti is gonna be interesting for the insane power draw. I wonder if this will suddenly become not important now that it's not an AMD card they are reviewing...

Soldato
I wonder if this will suddenly become not important now that it's not an AMD card they are reviewing...

show me a card from AMD which can trade blows with a 2080ti and your point has merit.
the problem with amd is not is (out of the box) power usage in isolation.

it is its (out of the box) power usage compared with nvidia offerings at the same / weaker performance levels. (imho)

IF AMDs 7nm cards can compete at the top end and use less power then i will be happy. until then you are trying to build a strawman imo.

Associate
show me a card from AMD which can trade blows with a 2080ti and your point has merit.
the problem with amd is not is (out of the box) power usage in isolation.

it is its (out of the box) power usage compared with nvidia offerings at the same / weaker performance levels. (imho)

IF AMDs 7nm cards can compete at the top end and use less power then i will be happy. until then you are trying to build a strawman imo.

Nope the same power draw shenanigans were applied to the 480/580 vs 1060. Despite the Polaris cards having slightly more performance, reviewers/fanboys made a huge deal out of, what, 30-40W extra power and claimed this was a deal breaker. Don't pretend it didn't happen.

And it's not so much the power draw - performance, it's the heat and resulting cooling noise required to cool that is an issue for me. So if the 2080 Ti is a hot and power hungry beast, that needn't be downplayed just because the performance is there.

Caporegime
Nope the same power draw shenanigans were applied to the 480/580 vs 1060. Despite the Polaris cards having slightly more performance, reviewers/fanboys made a huge deal out of, what, 30-40W extra power and claimed this was a deal breaker. Don't pretend it didn't happen.

And it's not so much the power draw - performance, it's the heat and resulting cooling noise required to cool that is an issue for me. So if the 2080 Ti is a hot and power hungry beast, that needn't be downplayed just because the performance is there.

My reference cooled AMD 290x regularly used to hit the 104°C barrier, at which point it would downclock

Leaked benchmarks put the reference 2080ti at 67°c under load

Bit of a difference there!

Last edited:
Caporegime
At times? Yes and mainly to you as I think you sometimes have double standards and seem like a bit of a fanboy. But this time I was not being rude I was honestly shocked. Also, I didn’t see that reply. We’ve already had this discussion without you.

Fanboys for either faction or any type of fanboy from DC vs Marvel, Sony Vs MS and in this case AMD Vs Nvidia is such a waste of time and makes otherwise intelligent people like yourself sound dumb.
Well I told you previous that waiting for the 2080Ti wasn't an issue for me and you felt you had to try and pull me up with that, you then jumped on me again and tried telling me that my PSU would be problematic (made me laugh that you heard that (from a guy in the pub?)). You really should chill down a bit and whilst I understand you are excited, calling people fanboys isn't very grown up either is it? I love Marvel and I love DC, I love NVidia and I love AMD. They make things that make me happy and that surely isn't a bad thing?

Soldato
I call ******** on that.

My system Peakes at 480-490 watts from socket. Is 7900X taking Extra 400Wats over Heavy overclocked 2700x with volts that most would not run 24/7 ??

Call it what you want, it's possible to call ******** on anything if we stick to pseudoscience. Depends entirely on the use case and system configuration. Point is, those are the peaks I see at the socket.

Back
Top Bottom