• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
I don't care what people buy but what's next 3070 for £650? and so on. I never buy the next gen anyway as I don't need to.

That really is the whole point. It's good for nobody, even those that have plenty to burn. If to many take the plunge then we have another new price point going in the wrong direction. Each to there own but anyone that sees this as a good thing need locked up.

I thought Titan buyers were mad back in the day but at least they got next Gen performance early. These are mainstream cards at silly money.

Soldato
That really is the whole point. It's good for nobody, even those that have plenty to burn. If to many take the plunge then we have another new price point going in the wrong direction. Each to there own but anyone that sees this as a good thing need locked up.

I thought Titan buyers were mad back in the day but at least they got next Gen performance early. These are mainstream cards at silly money.

That is very true. I coudln't even comprehend spending £1400 on a GPU, and still it's a Ti model haha. I hope that the 3 series will be cheaper but not holding my breath.

Associate
That really is the whole point. It's good for nobody, even those that have plenty to burn.

This. It's not good for the PC platform in general. Many are already throwing in the towel as they see the writing on the wall with continued price increases.

Personally, i've stopped buying PC games for now. If prices keep rising the current gaming rig i have will probably be the last.

Caporegime
This. It's not good for the PC platform in general. Many are already throwing in the towel as they see the writing on the wall with continued price increases.

Personally, i've stopped buying PC games for now. If prices keep rising the current gaming rig i have will probably be the last.

Let’s face it if you have a decent cpu and 1080 or equivalent card then getting a 2080 and an i9 9900k gets you not a lot for the outlay...

I’m on a 6700k due to nothing more than it’s runs great...I’ll throw in a used 1080ti and I’m set for 100fps 100hz 3440x 1440 super wide gaming...

The new i9900 k is an overpriced inferno...the 2080ti and overpriced dud...

Associate
The new i9900 k is an overpriced inferno...the 2080ti and overpriced dud
At least with 2080 ti your getting 35% ish improvement over anything that is currently available (apart form titan v) - compared to the i9 9900k it looks quite the bargain from a gaming perspective

Associate
Let’s face it if you have a decent cpu and 1080 or equivalent card then getting a 2080 and an i9 9900k gets you not a lot for the outlay...

I’m on a 6700k due to nothing more than it’s runs great...I’ll throw in a used 1080ti and I’m set for 100fps 100hz 3440x 1440 super wide gaming...

The new i9900 k is an overpriced inferno...the 2080ti and overpriced dud...

Prices are rising across the board. My issue with it all is there was a time when you paid top dollar for PC components and you were playing games that just couldn't be played on other systems. There was a night and day difference between the PC version and other platforms. The extra outlay was worth every penny.

With AAA developers not pushing the boundaries above console level of tech, that price you pay for high end GPUs just isn't worth it now. So, if i'm just getting souped up consoles ports with higher frames rates and devs aren't taking the advantage of better tech in PC GPUs, then why the hell would should anyone pay £600+ on one component? It's just a waste of tech (and money for the customer).

Prices were already a joke before the 2*** series. Now they've increased, again and for what? Where is the value? Where is the content to justify the high cost? If your going to up the price of your product, at least have the content and studios in place to show off why you should be putting down £1000+ on a GPU.

If the above were to change, i wouldn't have a problem paying more for GPUs, as long as it's justified and the games are there.

I've said before that Nvidia/AMD should be putting multi-million pound investments into games/new studios to show off the new tech. Similar to what Sony/MS/Nintendo do on their platforms.

Personally, it's got to the point where offering higher frames rates is no longer a good enough reason to spend hundreds on a GPU. There is no value there now.

Sadly.

Soldato
the 2080ti and overpriced dud...

I can’t agree with that entirely. The 2080Ti is the only card this generation that makes any sense at all as far as I’m concerned.

From a gaming perspective I can finally hit 60FPS 4K ultra in pretty much everything without having to think about it.

But more importantly, from a work perspective, the minor increase over a 1080Ti translates into increased productivity for me.

Still, you’re quite right that for most people, and most use cases, the upgrade is hardly worth it. Especially when the price is taken in to consideration.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It makes sense in terms of speed but not cost

As for the features, RT won’t be useable at 4K at playable frame rates so it makes the features defunct

In terms of speed its basically what 1080ti was to 1080. I seen a vid earlier making the claim that one reason they are priced this high is nvidia want to get rid of all their 1080ti inventory so pricing the 2080ti was one way of pushing people to the cheaper option. Makes sense i suppose given they were left with quite a lot of pascal inventory after the bitcoin bubble bust...yet again.

Caporegime
In terms of speed its basically what 1080ti was to 1080. I seen a vid earlier making the claim that one reason they are priced this high is nvidia want to get rid of all their 1080ti inventory so pricing the 2080ti was one way of pushing people to the cheaper option. Makes sense i suppose given they were left with quite a lot of pascal inventory after the bitcoin bubble bust...yet again.

Yeah NV don’t want you to buy it to shift 10 series stock . It amazes me that people are actually buying it . :p

It’s such a lack lustre release . Just goes to show people will buy anything :p

Soldato

Yeah that theory has been doing the rounds for a while and it certainly makes sense. What doesn't make sense is Turing. At all. There really is no reason for it to exist at this moment in time. Absolutely none. Even if it weren't stupidly priced, there's obviously no utilisation for it, and it will be a long time before we have a slew of games that do take advantage of RTX features. Even then, we probably aren't going to see full ray traced gaming this generation... nothing outside of 1080p anyway, at best. All we'll probably get is half baked pretty effects of some sort, and DLSS of course, but that's largely been derided by tech press as nothing you can't already achieve with upscaling 1440p to 1800p. I do think ray tracing holds great promise, but its realisation is years away.

I don't know, time will tell, but it's all a big mess right now and what with Intel's insanely priced 9-series, overall just an awful time to be buying new hardware.

Caporegime
I don't know, time will tell, but it's all a big mess right now and what with Intel's insanely priced 9-series, overall just an awful time to be buying new hardware.

There is no compelling reason to buy into the current intel and NV hardware architecture.

If you are on a really old system Ryzen 2700x is where it’s at . And a used GPU if you need decent 1440p 4K performance

Back
Top Bottom