• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce Titan rumours.

The locks appear based on temp and power targets, both will be heavily reduced with water, which, in theory should allow you to take the card higher.

Only time will tell, I'm looking forward to seeing water results, hopefully it will be a little more beneficial then putting the 600 series under water.

Edit: Like the 600 series I'd imagine bios mods may be essential too, an increased power target may open things up.

Last edited:
Ah yea, Just read a better review of the locks that are in place.

Well You should be able to push it as far as the power target lets you then... Wont know how far that is until someone puts one under water :)

Oh how you taunt me EVGA:

evga-titan-hydrocopper%2CM-L-374061-3.jpg

Now I like the look of that.

Has anyone put these in quad sli yet?

Not that I've seen, reviewers were 'only' sent 3 cards. Looking at multi-card benching, going from 2 to 3 Titans doesn't scale very well at all so I'd presume going to 4 cards is even worse.
Are there any CPU's out now are powerful enough to stress 3 or 4 titans ??

As surely with 3 or 4 titans in a tri or quad SLI setup your going be CPU limited..

As surely with 3 or 4 titans in a tri or quad SLI setup your going be CPU limited..

You would certainly need a highly clocked hex core I'd guess, perhaps that's why the reviews show poor scaling? As most iirc usually use ~4ghz 4C8T chips.

I'd be interested to know if they've done anything to the card other than stick a cooler on it...

Yep, its back to speculation on this one though, I'd say the chances of getting one in Europe is slim to none, its only recently the 680 Hydrocoppers have started showing up in Europe.

Vince has volt modded the cards for sure. He does not work for Nvidia EVGA actually. He is a great bencher among the top three in the world.

GPU simply dont scale above three cards because of a CPU bottleneck your correct. Especially in benching. Either a hex at 5.6+ or Ivy at 6.6+ is whats needed to release the true potential of the cards and very few people have either and even less have both.

Decided on getting two of these, but I'll get one now and the other in about 2 months, due to the cost of them being a tad steep for one sale, especially when I have EVERYTHING else to buy as well. The GPU boost 2.0 function is just too damn good to settle for less for me. The cooler is quiet enough to run at 65-70% without a daft level of noise, which keeps the temps down nicely according to an hour long titan review video I watched last night. Also allows the clocks to remain at the boosted levels pretty much indefinitely as well due to the temperature being under control. The sample in the video was using 1090mhz core in crysis 3 after literally 10 seconds of changing settings for the card using the evga precision tool. Really looking forward to seeing the performance first hand!

Should be buying my new rig late next week, but I'll probably get OcUK to build it for me as a custom build due to being snowed under at work, so one less job to do :)

For gaming a Hex core could run them without a bottleneck.

I use 2 GTX 690s with a 3960x and on modern games with everything maxed 4.0ghz is enough to keep them going. If I had 4 Titans I would probably have to run the CPU @4.6 - 4.7

This only works on high resolutions though, if I were to use 1080p there would be a huge bottleneck.

Benchmarks are a different story where the max fps run into several hundred. In this situation the CPU can never be fast enough.

Last edited:
The GK110 has been in production as the K20 for well over a year so any yield issues would have been long overcome by now.

The Titan supercomputer uses 18,688 GK110 Tesla gpu's as well as 299,008 AMD Opteron cpu cores and 710 terabytes of Ram. Apparently it struggles with slowdown on Crysis 3, maybe they should have gone intel.. :)

These are expensive because of where they fit in the market as the fastest single GPU. I imagine if they sell well Nvidia will produce as many as needed and any exclusivity will fade away over time.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine and seeing how it games at 1440p.

One slight concern I have about the Titan is the limited user base in the gaming market. While the 6xx series and below have got optimisations will Nvidia sink development time into the Titan the same way?

Sure 6 series optimisation will carry over to the Titan but getting the last ounce of performance out of the card, I'm not sure.

One slight concern I have about the Titan is the limited user base in the gaming market. While the 6xx series and below have got optimisations will Nvidia sink development time into the Titan the same way?

Sure 6 series optimisation will carry over to the Titan but getting the last ounce of performance out of the card, I'm not sure.

If AMD come out with some amazing driver boost or a superbinned part Titan will definitely get some continued attention and tweaking. nVidia have demonstrated historically (and with Titan now) that the top spot is tied into their brand identity, I think there will be some pre-emptive optimizing to counter potential AMD surprises at least until the leaked 700-series slides show up. :D

Back
Top Bottom