• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce Titan rumours.

Caporegime
OP
Can't wait to SLI these puppies!

untitled-1gnsfi.gif

Carmen Electra also seems interested in the Titan.

zyvu141.jpg

hahaha I can't believe I missed these pics...Awsome work and Carmen could cook my breakfast any day ;)

Soldato
Eh?

I bought three brand new 20" monitors. They weren't 1080p.

How is speaking of what I thought of it insulting people? more like - people get upset because their rose tinted glasses make them feel differently.

If *you* happen to like it and can live with it then fair play to you. Not once have I insulted you or called you a name because you use it.

I bought three cheap monitors because I had already done my research and already knew the pitfalls (like stretched textures and so on). Last thing I wanted to do was spend a fortune on screens only to find what I found out any way - it wasn't for me.

None of the games I like to play worked well with it and even in the case of the ones that did work well, IE - Dirt 2 Dirt 3 and RAGE I spent most of my time looking at the middle screen.

Part of your thoughts on multiple monitors is based upon a lack of understanding though.

The barrel distortion is normal with such a wide aspect ratio, if you've ever seen wide angle photography, you'll see the exact same thing happening to the right and left extremes of a landscape orientated image.

The side screens are for peripheral, the intention isn't to look at the side displays as if they are a normal viewport like the middle screen.

Your side monitors are supposed to be on a sharper angle than the ones in your image too.

Soldato
Part of your thoughts on multiple monitors is based upon a lack of understanding though.

The barrel distortion is normal with such a wide aspect ratio, if you've ever seen wide angle photography, you'll see the exact same thing happening to the right and left extremes of a landscape orientated image.

The side screens are for peripheral, the intention isn't to look at the side displays as if they are a normal viewport like the middle screen.

Your side monitors are supposed to be on a sharper angle than the ones in your image too.

Kinda like the GoPro cameras? Fish eye angle type things.

Soldato

They were that was when I first screwed them to the wall on brackets so was before I had adjusted them.

In games that support it (about four) it was good fun. In games that don't (the rest) it wasn't good fun. It just looked really stupid.

All of my PC building chums who set up three monitors have all gone back to one, most have taken to 3D.

The fact is that three screen gaming is an incredibly niche market and thus game developers don't bother to support it or bother with it unless they are being enticed to (like Codemasters for example, who are in bed with AMD).

Not only that but it makes the desktop pretty much impossible to live with and navigate on a daily basis given that the start button is all the way over to the left. I'm not sure if they addressed that (I seem to recall AMD sorted it with the 7 series, having that part of the desktop in the middle and the two
sides as extensions) but it was a deal breaker for me.

That was why I built a second PC just to play in surround and the novelty soon wore off. So it's probably a good thing I didn't spend a fortune on screens because they are now all sitting in a cupboard.

Soldato
Kinda like the GoPro cameras? Fish eye angle type things.

Exactly

They were that was when I first screwed them to the wall on brackets so was before I had adjusted them.

Well, the sharper the angle, the less the barrel distortion is noticeable, but that's also the intention.

In games that support it (about four) it was good fun. In games that don't (the rest) it wasn't good fun. It just looked really stupid.

Official support, and being capable aren't the same though. Most games will run with 3 monitors if you set it up a bit, it seems like you and your friends just stuck with official implementations.

All of my PC building chums who set up three monitors have all gone back to one, most have taken to 3D.

Well it's not much of a surprise if you all believed a very small amount of games worked for it.

The fact is that three screen gaming is an incredibly niche market and thus game developers don't bother to support it or bother with it unless they are being enticed to (like Codemasters for example, who are in bed with AMD).

It certainly is niche, however I think you lack understanding on what it takes to support such features, in that, it's actually very little.

Most games will support multiple monitors with little to no fuss, it just takes a few ini tweaks at the most usually.

So developers don't really usually have to do much at all to enable official support because the engines they use already usually have it in.

Multiple monitor support is basically just an extension of horizontal+ support, which is a method of supporting wider aspect ratios, as there are 3 common ratios used on PCs, 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10, so horizontal+ is naturally the chosen method of supporting an increase in the width of a display.

Horizontal+ means that if the game detects a wider aspect monitor, it will draw in more things to the left and right. There is something called vert- which means a 4:3 image is cropped at the top and bottom for wide screen monitors, very few use this now because it just causes annoyance.

Not only that but it makes the desktop pretty much impossible to live with and navigate on a daily basis given that the start button is all the way over to the left. I'm not sure if they addressed that (I seem to recall AMD sorted it with the 7 series, having that part of the desktop in the middle and the two
sides as extensions) but it was a deal breaker for me.

This is completely valid, however it's also invalid in the sense that it's not really the intention to use eyefinity/spanned displays on the desktop.

When you are in desktop mode, you want extended desktop rather than "eyefinity", and I don't know how anyone would be comfortable using eyefinity over extended desktop mode when not in games, because it completely defeats the advantage of having multiple displays for Windows desktop usage.

That was why I built a second PC just to play in surround and the novelty soon wore off. So it's probably a good thing I didn't spend a fortune on screens because they are now all sitting in a cupboard.

It certainly isn't for everyone, that's definitely true. For me, it's a bonus being able to run games on more than one screen. I don't do it for all games (League of Legends for example, where I think it's been purposefully removed) but I actually make a lot of use out of 3 monitors on a day to day basis outside of games, so I would have 3 monitors regardless.

Back
Top Bottom