• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce Titan rumours.

Man of Honour
Associate
In May 2012 I bought a new system with 2 SLI 680s GTX, an i7 3770K, 750TX Corsair PSU, 16GB Kingston RAM. The goal was to play all games at Ultra, 1080p, 4x AA keeping a minimum of 60 fps.
9 months down the line I can say I'm disappointed performance wise. The only game that didn't let me down was Max Payne 3.

BF3 multiplayer constantly runs at 60+ fps, but both cards float between 50%-70% usage, although I haven't tried it with the latest drivers.

Far Cry 3 is a disaster. With 3+ NPCs and a couple of houses on screen, I get easily in the mid 50s, with usage between 70%-80%. Add fire on top of it and see fps going in the low-mid 40s.

Hitman Absolution was ok till the latest patch came out. Now in larger areas I get 40-50 fps with card usage at 50%. This means I'm better off with 1 card in this game.

All this with my CPU running at 4.7 Ghz.

The thing that frustrates me is that this is not an hardware issue. My GPUs aren't fully exploited because of a CPU bottleneck, which is the result of bad coding caused by console porting. Game developers don't actually give a ***** about PC gamers, and they care even less about SLI users. The real money is in console gaming.
If they coded DX11 games keeping SLI in mind, Far Cry 3 would have run at a minimum of 90 fps on my system.
So I can safely say that SLI users are at the bottom of the food chain and this is a slap in the face, considering all the money we spend.

2 SLI 680s guarantee a minimum of 100% the performance of a single 680. On average the performance increase is around 170%.

How does this relate to the hypothetic Geforce Titan? I'd like to climb a step up the food chain by using a single GPU.
If the Titan has the same horsepower of 2 680s (or a 690), then from a gaming perspective it will perform 30% better on average.

** No selling out side the MM **

Soldato
In May 2012 I bought a new system with 2 SLI 680s GTX, an i7 3770K, 750TX Corsair PSU, 16GB Kingston RAM. The goal was to play all games at Ultra, 1080p, 4x AA keeping a minimum of 60 fps.
9 months down the line I can say I'm disappointed performance wise. The only game that didn't let me down was Max Payne 3.

BF3 multiplayer constantly runs at 60+ fps, but both cards float between 50%-70% usage, although I haven't tried it with the latest drivers.

Far Cry 3 is a disaster. With 3+ NPCs and a couple of houses on screen, I get easily in the mid 50s, with usage between 70%-80%. Add fire on top of it and see fps going in the low-mid 40s.

Hitman Absolution was ok till the latest patch came out. Now in larger areas I get 40-50 fps with card usage at 50%. This means I'm better off with 1 card in this game.

The thing that frustrates me is that this is not an hardware issue. My GPUs aren't fully exploited because of a CPU bottleneck, which is the result of bad coding caused by console porting. Game developers don't actually give a ***** about PC gamers, and they care even less about SLI users. The real money is in console gaming.
If they coded DX11 games keeping SLI in mind, Far Cry 3 would have run at a minimum of 90 fps on my system.
So I can safely say that SLI users are at the bottom of the food chain and this is a slap in the face, considering all the money we spend.

2 SLI 680s guarantee a minimum of 100% the performance of a single 680. On average the performance increase is around 170%.

How does this relate to the hypothetic Geforce Titan? I'd like to climb a step up the food chain by using a single GPU.
If the Titan has the same horsepower of 2 680s (or a 690), then from a gaming perspective it will perform 30% better on average.

Sorry mate but you can sell outside the mm and with the new drivers I get full scaling across three cards with farcry 3 so try that first.

Soldato
Its kinda strange that the Titan comes from a failed item.

Failed is the wrong word, but yea, things definitely didn't pan out as planned! The chips turned out to be too expensive produce for mass market last year. As it happens they appear to have become viable for a number of reasons. However, going by price, they'll clearly arrive in very limited numbers.

Associate

I would advise you to check the rest of your system for issues - I recently had a similar problem with my i7 920, low usage, and strange results. Turned out my RAM was running at some strange settings that basically held back my whole system.

Link: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18482576

Also, prior to this, we had already discussed how widespread the issue is with SLI usage for 680s in particular - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18477027

Which drivers are you using? If the 310 series, then I would advise you to switch up or down urgently, because these are known to have broken SLI on the 600 series in particular. And while you are right about the game engines being unoptimised, you should still be able to stress your GPUs to the extent that your SLI is being used - for example in BF3, just using 2xMSAA and HBAO makes the GPUs work much harder, and you see the lovely visual benefits as well of course :)

Soldato
Just read this post over on anandtech

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34591298&postcount=535

Interesting calculations. The theory behind the calculations seems pretty sound, just not well enough up on graphic card design to know if there are other factors involved in the performance of the card.

I see what he's getting at, though the workings out are... odd...

True though, you can't get that sort of performance out of what nVidia currently have.
Assuming that it was brought on by the 3D Mark 11 results going around which are clearly 2x680s or a 690 and not even a shred of evidence to support it being the Titan.

Associate
Here's hoping its a real brute tho. Bit like the old 480's. Big, hot, and thus noisey on stock cooling, but well built and fast with great o/c potential (unlocked voltage) when you got temps under control.

Hoping for >30% faster than a 680! :D

Last edited:
Associate
I would advise you to check the rest of your system for issues - I recently had a similar problem with my i7 920, low usage, and strange results. Turned out my RAM was running at some strange settings that basically held back my whole system.

Link: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18482576

Also, prior to this, we had already discussed how widespread the issue is with SLI usage for 680s in particular - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18477027

Which drivers are you using? If the 310 series, then I would advise you to switch up or down urgently, because these are known to have broken SLI on the 600 series in particular. And while you are right about the game engines being unoptimised, you should still be able to stress your GPUs to the extent that your SLI is being used - for example in BF3, just using 2xMSAA and HBAO makes the GPUs work much harder, and you see the lovely visual benefits as well of course :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with my system. This kind of performance has been reported by other people as well. The average SLI scaling with 2 680s is 170%. This is undeniable at the moment.
Titan will hopefully be bettet than SLI.

Back
Top Bottom