*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Soldato
The classical Samsung tale of gimping, in 2 pictures (Movie vs Game modes; Q800T):
so are the blacks being raised in gaming, as some king of processing compromise for low latency .... is the T part of the new Q***T range - dual leds - giving some benefit ?

Soldato
OP
so are the blacks being raised in gaming, as some king of processing compromise for low latency .... is the T part of the new Q***T range - dual leds - giving some benefit ?

The local dimming gets gimped so that they can claim low input lag, yup. T is just the designated letter for this year (instead of last year's 'R'). Why not S? I assume because they also use that for some models, like Q950TS. Though naming is so idiotic for all companies, who really knows. And the 800T is not dual led, that's only used for some lower end models. This is essentially their top of the line, 8K model, if we disregard the design non-sense of the 950TS as putting it above - they're more or less the same in terms of PQ (for calibrated movie experience).

Soldato
OP
As much as he's full of it sometimes, FOMO's putting the youtube "professional calibrators" to shame, he really upped his review game. Frankly, I'd even take him over RTINGS if he had a wider selection of TVs.

And ofc Samsung being ****sung as usual (no, I'll never stop dumping on them until they fix their ****).

Soldato
OP
Z8H 75" review (China):

https://post.smzdm.com/p/alpwln7g/

Very strong backlight performance, I have to say! Once again Sony proves how much it can do even with fewer zones. Or perhaps controlling more zones is more difficult and that's why there's so many TVs with poor performance but a lot of zones? Who knows.

Still, the Z9G was stronger, and it makes it look almost like a bargain with the current discounts. And if we look even further back and consider the Z9D... uff. Let's just hope we get QDCC TVs next year.

5ebb8d3a9f819931.jpg_e680.jpg

5ebb8d3a7098e4939.jpg_e680.jpg

5ebb8d3ce75805680.jpg_e680.jpg

5ebb8d3d1c5b63479.jpg_e680.jpg

5ebb8d40659ad6894.jpg_e680.jpg

Soldato
OP
Also, funny anecdote, for ppl pining their hopes on microleds:

https://twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher/status/1214024465203519493/photo/1

John Archer: "Samsung’s 8K 292-inch Micro LED ‘Wall’ is like nothing I’ve seen before. Genuinely jaw-dropping. I’ve ordered two for my castle, obviously. #CES2020"

CLK55: "Hi John. We just got one installed at work. $200,000+ and it’s got lots of dead pixels and visible seams. Impressive picture but for that kind of money I think Samsung could’ve done better."
"I assume it’s the 292”? It takes up a full wall in our room. They installed a venting system at the base to help with cooling. Not sure what Samsung will do about it. We’ve got little bits of Post-It notes on the screen to mark the dead pixels!"

MicroLED is just around the corner! Finally the perfect TV!

giphy.gif

Soldato
Very strong backlight performance, I have to say! Once again Sony proves how much it can do even with fewer zones. Or perhaps controlling more zones is more difficult and that's why there's so many TVs with poor performance but a lot of zones? Who knows.
I had watched vincent from 10May, which would really convince me that if i'm watching in the dark, most zoned tv's wouldn't cut it ,
either you see fewer stars on the qled or blooming on the sony - choose your poison
but I suppose I haven't re-watched the martian/gravity, and not seen Life of Pi.
Samsung QLED vs Sony 4K LED TV Comparison (Upscaling, HDR, Game Mode)

Caporegime
Micro LED when I’ve looked into it was always going to be a long way off on screen sizes for households. I said on another forum it would be about 10 years away at affordable consumer level.

There were people adamant that we would see them being sold in the likes of Curry’s as early as 2022 :D

Soldato
OP
I had watched vincent from 10May, which would really convince me that if i'm watching in the dark, most zoned tv's wouldn't cut it ,
either you see fewer stars on the qled or blooming on the sony - choose your poison
but I suppose I haven't re-watched the martian/gravity, and not seen Life of Pi.
Samsung QLED vs Sony 4K LED TV Comparison (Upscaling, HDR, Game Mode)

For in the HDR dark movie watching OLED really is a no brainer, but for me I run into blooming issues so rarely it just makes no difference to think about (XF90) so I'd always take Sony over Samsung, because the other flaws would bother me all of the time. In fact the last time I ran into actually noticeable HDR blooming was Black Panther >1 year ago when I was just demo'ing a new sound setup, but nothing since. I think when shopping for a new TV people really don't think enough about the content they actually watch & what would suit their needs best. Sorta happens the same with GPUs, people forget to think about the games they actually play and how those run and rather evaluate it on the overall performance from a large selection of random games a reviewer might favour, which seems stupid to me.

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new set but am unsure which to go for.

It needs to be 32" (or slightly smaller) and OK for gaming. I have a concern regarding SD content - I still watch a lot of lower resolution content and worry by how terrible it often looks. Should I prioritize a HDR set because of this consideration or instead look for specific upscaling options? Is there likely to be much of a difference? If I were to go with a HDR set, how much would I be missing at 32"?

I'm currently looking at the sony kdl32we613bu. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new set but am unsure which to go for.

It needs to be 32" (or slightly smaller) and OK for gaming. I have a concern regarding SD content - I still watch a lot of lower resolution content and worry by how terrible it often looks. Should I prioritize a HDR set because of this consideration or instead look for specific upscaling options? Is there likely to be much of a difference? If I were to go with a HDR set, how much would I be missing at 32"?

I'm currently looking at the sony kdl32we613bu. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks!

At 32" you're not really gonna have those options. The best chipsets (and therefore upscaling) & proper HDR are reserved for 55" & up generally. 32" TVs are just not good quality for the most part & info is gonna be hard to come by (referring to objective data, not "customer impressions"). Might be worth thinking about 32" monitors too if that's an option.

Soldato
OP
Sony XH90 vs Samsung Q70R
Both the 75 inch version. Any thoughts?
We watch plenty of football and it's used for gaming and movies as well, not much sd material watched.

XH90 will be better in every way, especially for sports Sony's motion handling is king & for gaming you get HDMI 2.1 and a non-gimped picture in game mode.

Associate
Trying to decide between a few 32" TVs (Samsung UE32T5300, Sony KDL32WD751 and the LG 32LM6300PLA) and was hoping people could give me some advice and answer some or all of the following questions:
- Which of the three is generally the better option
- Is there any other 32 inch TV that would be better
- Which of the three would be best for SD content
- How do they compare gaming wise
- Is there any measurable difference in PQ between Freeview and Freesat

Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom