*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Associate
Hi all, was looking for a bit of help with TVs. I've currently got a 55" Samsung 6670 class TV and it seems to have developed a shadow on the left hand quarter of the screen that goes from the top to the bottom. Had a look online and it appears as though the LED's have died off which explains the darkness so looks like I'm needing to get a new one and was hoping for some suggestions!

I've been looking at the LG OLED55B9PLA - it'll mostly be used for gaming and watching sport. My only concern would be screen burn-in from the scoreboard when watching sports and the HUD's in games.

Hoping to keep the price around £1000ish and ideally 55" if anyone has any other suggestions!

Thanks! :D
So as above I got the B9 and it's been fine so far for gaming (via xbox) but in reality when comparing gaming on my B9 vs a friends QLED I didn't really prefer one to the other, where as anything else (TV / movies etc) I thought the B9 was far better (mainly due to the better contrast). Rtings show burn in happening on LG OLEDs via bright static content (so yeah things like 24/7 news) but if you're use is mixed then it seems okay. In your scenario I'd try and get one of the stores to let you connect an xbox (or whatever you game on) to a ~1K QLED and a OLED and see what you think...

HTH,

UL

Soldato
Taking delivery of the Sony XH95 on the 11th, what would be the best way to calibrate it? Do I get an app, watch a video etc? My current TV Hisense A6250's HDR just looks brighter and washed out tbh.

Soldato
Update: What a tv! holy cow. I thought going from one 4K to another 4K tv would be a simple step up but this is nice and day. Colours actually LOOK like colour it's so deep and vibrant. I watched a video called "costa rica in 4k" and it blew my mind. Money well spent!

Soldato
OP
Taking delivery of the Sony XH95 on the 11th, what would be the best way to calibrate it? Do I get an app, watch a video etc? My current TV Hisense A6250's HDR just looks brighter and washed out tbh.

Here's my recommendations for a closer to reference settings:

SDR
- Brightness at 9 (= 200 nits) at night, or 15-20 during the day (= 300ish nits)
- Contrast at 90
- Colour 50
- Light Sensor OFF
- Gamma -2
- Black level 50
- Black adjust OFF
- Adv Contrast Enhancer OFF
- Auto local dimming High
- X-tended Dynamic Range OFF
- Hue 0
- Colour Temperature Expert 1
- Live colour OFF
- Sharpness 50
- Reality Creation Off
- Smooth Gradation Low
- Motionflow OFF
- Film mode OFF
- Video Options stuff you just leave on AUTO

For HDR the only difference is you need Brightness at MAX & X-tended Dynamic Range to High.

In order to properly calibrate the display you'd need professional equipment, which would cost quite a bit, and frankly it's not necessary because the out-of-the-box calibration is quite good already on the XH95.

Soldato
They have absolutely gutted the BX! And that's just the immediately measurable differences; who knows what quirks it hides for further gimped performance.
I'd not considered before, but their reviews don't seem to discuss performance on lower bitrtae stuff where the newer cx processor would come into play,
which seems a big omission, versus hdtvtest ... maybe the rtings video covers it.

manufacturing cost of cx and bx can't be much different , other than the processor , cx, for example, doesn't have any addtional heat-sink ?
so you've got to wonder too whether, bx reducing the brightness is reducing the risk of burn in, so they will have fewer returns, so if a cx costs £300 more than a bx,
they're expecting, say 1 in 5 cx to have issues, and, need replacing, so have to mitigate that.

Soldato
OP
I'd not considered before, but their reviews don't seem to discuss performance on lower bitrtae stuff where the newer cx processor would come into play,
which seems a big omission, versus hdtvtest ... maybe the rtings video covers it.

manufacturing cost of cx and bx can't be much different , other than the processor , cx, for example, doesn't have any addtional heat-sink ?
so you've got to wonder too whether, bx reducing the brightness is reducing the risk of burn in, so they will have fewer returns, so if a cx costs £300 more than a bx,
they're expecting, say 1 in 5 cx to have issues, and, need replacing, so have to mitigate that.

Yes, stuff like how the TV handles low bitrate content, or how the picture quality is in game mode (because some TVs have worse PQ then), etc are all things that aren't generally tested by reviewers, and never by RTINGS. That's why it, sadly, comes down to combing forums for user reviews for things you're aware of.

It's certainly strange (but not unusual for LG, though perhaps not to this degree) to gimp the B model this much, I don't know why that might be. Perhaps they really are starting to triage panel quality more & that makes a difference. Or perhaps it is as you say and they figure they'd rather just enjoy some extra profit from lower return rate (since OLED's #1 enemy is heat) if they keep the brightness low.

Could be that they're just trying to squeeze every penny out of these oleds while they can. They certainly don't have more than 2-3 years left of milking them (then they're ******).

Soldato
more obviously - can be an example of panel binning strategy too, rtings report a higher standard deviation on bx grey uniformity.

Soldato
Interesting video by Vincent
Blade Runner 2049 4K Blu-ray Analysis: Should We Call It "Fake HDR"?

so only 200nits ... maybe I didn't yet get to the bit where he discusses if these are mastered down for the disc market, versus netflix, or the cinema ?

[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Oblivion : 0.005 à 1 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray La 5eme Vague : 0 à 1 100 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Batman vs Superman : 0.005 à 4 000 nits !
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Man of Steel : 0.005 à 4 000 nits !
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Dead Pool : 0 à 1 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Seul sur Mars : 0 à 1 100 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray PAN : 0.005 à 4 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray The Revenant : 0 à 1 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Life of Pi : aucune info sur la gamme dynamique HD (étrange !)
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Indépendance Day (le vrai) : 0 à 1 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Chappie : 0.005 à 4 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Au Cœur de l’Océan : 0.005 à 4 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Ender’s Games : 0.005 à 4 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Exodus : 0 à 1 100 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Labyrinth : 0 à 1 100 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Salt : 0.005 à 4 000 nits
[*]Ultra HD Blu-ray Mad Max – Fury Road : 0.005 à 4 000 nits

Soldato
Anyone got a cheap hisense 4k jobby? One of the Roku ones?

I'm moving soon to my own flat and want a decent (if it exists) 43" 4k TV. Budget is as close to £300 as I can get.

The hisense ones keep coming up when I search.

Soldato
OP
Boy does that Sony look incredible! Wish I could justify it but I'm greedy and waiting for even more. Samsung on the other hand... utter garbage! And that's being polite about it.

Soldato
TV PRICES UNDER NO DEAL WTO
so prices look like the'll go up under no deal https://www.ft.com/content/7c996241-08ed-4823-a530-cea47f64da8f 25oct

but tv's from china might benefit https://ihsmarkit.com/research-analysis/postbrexit-tariff-change-for-british-imports-from-china.html
apparently zero tarif/duty.

EU television manufacturers have warned that they may be locked out of the benefits of a future UK trade deal, threatening thousands of European jobs and driving up the price of TVs for British consumers.
Digital Europe, an association representing Europe’s tech industry, has written to the European Commission twice in recent months warning that EU TVs could face UK import tariffs that would more than wipe out profit margins after Brexit on a business worth more than €900m. The group represents manufacturers including Samsung, Panasonic and LG.
Most televisions sold in the UK are made in the EU. EU27 countries exported 3.7m of them to the UK in 2019, according to data from Eurostat — products worth some €931m.

Industry representatives told the Financial Times that this business was under threat in part because of the EU’s own stance in the post-divorce trade negotiations. Brussels has pushed a tough line on the percentage of a product that must be either European or British for the good to qualify for the benefits of any deal — a restriction known as “rules of origin”.
Brussels’ general stance in the negotiations has been that content from outside the UK and EU used in a manufactured good should be limited to 45 per cent of the total, if the product is to benefit from the future trade agreement. TV manufacturers are concerned their products would not qualify, upending supply chains and the model of assembling in Europe to export to the UK.
“The EU-UK negotiations . . . are hugely significant for the future of Europe’s digital and tech sectors,” Digital Europe said in a letter to EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier dated October 9, and seen by the Financial Times.
The letter notes that appropriate rules of origin “will be vital to allow tech products assembled in Europe, such as TVs, to take advantage of zero tariff trade between the EU and the UK”. It calls for an approach that will allow “the widest possible use of the preferential terms of the [Free Trade Agreement]”.

- had been wondering if january sales might be worthwhile.

Soldato
Anyone have the samsung q90 55" thinking of pairing it with a xbox series x or a ps5, dont really want an oled screen as i tend to keep my tvs for 5+ years. Seems the best tv if you plan on gaming on it and connecting your computer to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Anyone have the samsung q90 55" thinking of pairing it with a xbox series x or a ps5, dont really want an oled screen as i tend to keep my tvs for 5+ years. Seems the best tv if you plan on gaming on it and connecting your computer to it.
Excellent choice depending on the price. If it's nicely discounted then go for it, but if it's not I'd say wait for March when we get new models.

Back
Top Bottom