1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

German Doner Kebab

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by rapid64k, 13 Aug 2021.

1. rapid64k

Wise Guy

Not sure if got my point have you been into a German Kabab shop yet ? Not sure if you can really equate small local business to the German Kebab shop experience.

2. Scam

Capodecina

I don't know what they do differently but they seem to take it seriously enough. I went to a festival in Berlin and right outside our hostel was the most famous kebab place in Berlin. We're talking 40+ people in the queue practically all times of the day. Way more after 9pm ish.. I only tried it at 9.30am for breakfast on the last day before our flight when there was only a few people waiting :p

3. rapid64k

Wise Guy

Should be getting one later any one else still going to get one?

If you do tell us what you think about it. I know it is not a Michelin star grade meal but in times of hungry it's something that you can bosh down when you want a bite.

4. Lopéz

Man of Honour

It's funny, kebabs in the UK are treated as some sort of dirty secret that it's only acceptable to consume when you're hammered.

Here in Vienna, there is a large Turkish immigrant population and you can find excellent quality doner or durum everywhere, it's taken a lot more "seriously" than in England.

5. One More Solo

Capodecina

It is weird. There are some good kebab places around. Our local Turkish place is great, good quality meats, all homemade breads, pickles etc. Nothing bad about it.

6. robfosters

Caporegime

I love doner kebab. As already said, some places really are bad quality, but if you find a good one, the meat is very good and not full of eyeholes, earholes and ********* as everyone seems to think. They actually use decent cuts of lamb.

They might be fatty, but you don’t get takeaway if you want to eat healthy do you? Plus you still get plenty of fresh salad to eat.

7. chrismscotland

Mobster

Been meaning to try one of the Edinburgh ones for a while; have to agree though a "kebab" generally over here is looked down on as something for a night out.
    I've had incredible kebabs particularly in Germany on my travels; love a donner!

8. rapid64k

Wise Guy

The German Doner is either Chicken or Beef no Lamb unless you buy the spring rolls.

9. ttaskmaster

Capodecina

I didn't ask...
    From personal experience, it just tastes... I dunno... cleaner. Good quality meat, not overly greasy, everything well packaged and not too heavy on one ingredient or another, good portions, all that stuff.
    The one obvious difference is that, instead of a pita, it comes in a kind of waffle-bread thing, that soaks up the sauces and flavours without falling apart.

10. krooton

Caporegime

I love the gym box, and it's keto friendly too!

11. mid_gen

Capodecina

Less meat. More chopped fresh vegetables. Freshly baked bread.

Had my first kebab since moving back from Germany recently. It was just a giant pile of pureed arse-meat in a limp pitta with a smattering of soggy lettuce and onion. Grim.

12. rapid64k

Wise Guy

Well said sir.

13. tom_e

Man of Honour

Stop it you're making me hungry :D

14. DanTheMan

Mobster

I'm clearly spoilt for choice when it comes to decent kebabs here but GDK is distinctly average when I've tried it.

I don't know what they do differently but it's not a patch on a decent donner kebab in durum from Berlin / Vienna. Plus, it's hideously overpriced for what you get.

15. BaZ87

Don

Whenever I'm in London or even traveling anywhere near London, I'll make the trip to Green Lanes. The best kebabs outside Turkey.

16. [email protected]

Wise Guy

Decided to try GDK for the first time tonight, went for the original kebab with chicken for the choice of filling.

I thought it was really good! I’m not a big fan of the typical takeaway kebabs but this was certainly different, as others have said less greasy, more fresh vegetables and the bread was lovely.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2021
  17. _lecro_

Wise Guy

Looks tasty !
    defo will give it a go when the open the shop near me !

18. rapid64k

Wise Guy

Told yah! :p

I have not been to a Kebab shop but if I feel like one I'll have a German one.

19. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

Looks good, would not mind to taste them, but the nearest one to me is Southampton so 24.5 miles away.

20. robj20

Capodecina

This one near my work. Pictures don't make it look very good IMO.
    Promo photos look okay but real life photos look below average. Salad especially looks all brown like last week's salad. Not what I expected after reading this thread. People just buy into the marketing it seems.

German Doner Kebab
    0161 676 3366
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/YAXxg8PF1BxCaBEa8

Especially when I have this stunning place nearby. Actual proper kebabs, with real fresh ingredients.

La Turka Bistro Monton
    0161 971 5309
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/F836es6UzZFSzmBH9

Last edited: 23 Aug 2021