Getting sick of Firefox as of recent! Has it been that bad for you?

Soldato
I've loved firefox since its early days, everything about it was what web browsing was about. For example, tabbed browsing, the ease of using bookmarks, gmail extension, inbuilt search engines and not to mention the tonnes of other extensions available!

As of the past 2 weeks firefox has been just really getting on my nerves! Webpages keep freezing, it refuses to load pages, after clicking F5 after 5 times or so it brings up the page instantly. It's really starting to get on my nerves! I just want it the way it used to be!

I've tried re-installing and then using mozbackup to replace my settings but no luck.

I'd be greatful if anyone could help me in solving this, as it's making a web browsing a pain in the backside.

I've had a look round on google and many people have resorted to using other web browsers. I really don't want to resort to that :(

Soldato
dark_shadow said:
I've loved firefox since its early days, everything about it was what web browsing was about. For example, tabbed browsing, the ease of using bookmarks, gmail extension, inbuilt search engines and not to mention the tonnes of other extensions available!

As of the past 2 weeks firefox has been just really getting on my nerves! Webpages keep freezing, it refuses to load pages, after clicking F5 after 5 times or so it brings up the page instantly. It's really starting to get on my nerves! I just want it the way it used to be!

I've tried re-installing and then using mozbackup to replace my settings but no luck.

I'd be greatful if anyone could help me in solving this, as it's making a web browsing a pain in the backside.

I've had a look round on google and many people have resorted to using other web browsers. I really don't want to resort to that :(

Went off FF around 0.8/0.9 kept using it till IE7 came out, FF became a memory hog which annoyed me to hell 200+mb on 3 tabs (even on new installs), Tabs locking up for like 5mins so couldn't do nothing & then sometimes not even loading pages until a reboot.

Bare in mind this happened on fresh installs too on 2 seprate computers, i wish they would go back to 0.7 :(

Couldn't be more happy with IE7 a lot better than the old IE's i was pleasantly surprised :)

Soldato
It was poor for me (similar issues you're having) until I downloaded 2.0.0.4 with the Adblock Plus and Flashblock extensions. It seems to have been a lot more stable so I think it might've been FasterFox as that was the only other extension I used.

I also changed some of the performance tweaks using this guide.

Associate
Since installing it in Vista yes. It is crashing, freezing and failing to load every few minutes but if I am using XP then I love it.

Soldato
dark_shadow said:

see that's not going to fix anything - re-installing makes no odds. it's all the crap that builds up in your profile folder that is more than likely causing these problems.

and for people with problems on vista and clean profiles i don't know what to say. i certainly haven't had a single problem with it myself. and if push came to shove, i'd switch to opera not ie7. :D

Vai

Vai

Soldato
I have been having a lot of problems with it crashing and freezing lately. I made a new profile but still had the problem.

For me it was down to either Filterset G, or the "Show tabs on Java and Flash" option in Adblock Plus. I am now running with the Easyelement+Easylist subscription and have turned off the tabs option, haven't had any crashes so far.

However it still uses a lot of memory after a few hours of use, and is quite slow when dealing with multiple tabs loading :(

Back in the early days one of the goals of the browser was to be small and fast, I wish they would start thinking that way again :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
After coming across the "better gmail" extension recently Firefox has been giving me double the email productivity so it's been getting better and better every month :p

Soldato
I've recently been thinking the same way about the OP. Yes I have lots of extensions in Firefox but a lot of them I have the same functionality by default with Opera.

Been using Opera (9.21) for about a day now and am really really happy that I've switched over.

Soldato
OP
Removed fasterfox and it's flying again :confused:

I've been usings fasterfox for a few years! Ah well feels the same without it :)

mrk said:
After coming across the "better gmail" extension recently Firefox has been giving me double the email productivity so it's been getting better and better every month :p
Which one?

Soldato
OP
Doohickey said:
No idea why, but youtube videos take an age to buffer on FF, but when I try the same links in IE7, it's smooth as anything :confused:
Ironically, I still have exactly the same problem :confused:

Sometimes whilst bugger, it just stops completely. What's the deal with that? :(

Caporegime
Massive post ahoy:

While Fx has it's flaws, a hell of a lot of the problems people complain about are the result of plugins (Flash, Quicktime, Java et al - upgrading these can make a big difference) and addons (especially things like FasterFox).

marc2003 said:
see that's not going to fix anything - re-installing makes no odds. it's all the crap that builds up in your profile folder that is more than likely causing these problems.

This man speaks the truth - reinstalling is a waste of time compared to trying a new profile and/or safe mode.

The tip in this post might be useful too:

Then I changed browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0, cleared the cache and ran the test again.

Trying the test in the link with yesterday's Trunk nightly build, I get:
After startup: 118752 kB
After navigation: 144240 kB
After closing 4 tabs: 79344 kB

After changing browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers:
After startup: 67528 kB
After navigation: 143852 kB
After closing 4 dabs: 77456 kB

The after startup value with the setting changed seems odd, but it's the same every time. :confused:

So FF3 shouldn't be far off (given there's probably about 6 months and a lot of bug hunting to go) where 1.0.7 was, except it's got all the new features that have appeared since then (shortened list for 1.5/2.0 here, and FF3 so far's mostly been about fixing long standing bugs and getting the backend work done for new features).

Used Opera for about a week when the Fx nightlies broke for me, and hated it. The whole thing feels bloated by comparison (the built in torrent client really annoyed me for starters), though Speed Dial is a nice feature.

Running the same test with Opera 9.20, I get:
After startup: 72200 kB
After navigation: 154620 kB
After closing 4 tabs: 111236 kB

So the "Opera uses less RAM" argument looks pretty weak to me.

I made a new profile but still had the problem.

So you made a new profile, then copied all the data across? It's hardly a new profile if you copy all the old cruft along.

Vai

Vai

Soldato
tolien said:
So you made a new profile, then copied all the data across? It's hardly a new profile if you copy all the old cruft along.

Was that referencing my post?

I didn't copy anything from my old profile until I had fixed the problem :)

Back
Top Bottom