Getting sick of Firefox as of recent! Has it been that bad for you?

Permabanned
Right sorry for resurecting this thread but im ****ed off with FF now

I updated to the latest FF earlier today and its now as slow as ever !!

Got a near constant hourglass on the screen on pretty much every web page i visit and its doing my heed in now

Is there anything i can possibly do before i revert back to IE? *shudders

Caporegime
At risk of doing the stuck record routine, but new/clean profile (don't delete the profile you've got, obviously) and/or safe mode?

Permabanned
tolien said:
At risk of doing the stuck record routine, but new/clean profile (don't delete the profile you've got, obviously) and/or safe mode?

Go on then son run me through it please :)

Soldato
mrk said:
People still worry about memory usage in a browser? man what computers are these people running.... I certainly don't find it at all offensive if FF uses 100MB and I have 2GB ram with around 50-40% free at all times. My system also never really slows down because of FF using extra MB.

Here's FF after 2 hours of usage:

untitledsa2.png

try keeping FF open for a couple of days with 30+ tabs open and see if the memory leakage doesn't do your head in.

it also consumes stupid amounts of cpu cycles every few seconds, upto 50% on my e6600 @ 3.8ghz, once it's been open for a day or 2.

i still love FF more than IE and will continue to use it but i do wish they could get a handle on these problems one day. :(

Man of Honour
Hmm....Opera's starting to become a memory hog for me now as well. In previous versions I'd have about 25 tabs open all loaded which would use about 70MB of memory, now if I leave it open for more than a day it rises to 300MB!!!!

Soldato
greenlizard0 said:
Hmm....Opera's starting to become a memory hog for me now as well. In previous versions I'd have about 25 tabs open all loaded which would use about 70MB of memory, now if I leave it open for more than a day it rises to 300MB!!!!
Hmm three tabs here and 70Mb.

Soldato
Recently I have been having loads of problems with ff, youtube fails to load, 80% of sites fail to load or timeout but work perfectly in ie, its hogging more memory than normal and it crashes the wifi after about 10 mins on my laptop. I have given up using it untill those problems are fixed.:(

Soldato
marc2003 said:
filthy. i'd much rather use ieview to open the current page/link in the real internet explorer. :cool:

IEtab allows you to do that too should you want to. Makes no difference though, viewing in an IE tab uses the IE engine..

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
marscay said:
try keeping FF open for a couple of days with 30+ tabs open and see if the memory leakage doesn't do your head in.

it also consumes stupid amounts of cpu cycles every few seconds, upto 50% on my e6600 @ 3.8ghz, once it's been open for a day or 2.

i still love FF more than IE and will continue to use it but i do wish they could get a handle on these problems one day. :(

Why would you leave a browser open for a couple of days? browsers take not even a few seconds to load so there is no reason to keep it open especially Firefox as you can save sessions. I don't understand at all that people keep complaining about FF memory usage regarding this routine too :/

Associate
I used to be a hardcore Firefox user, but since IE7 came out I haven't really seen the need to use it. IE6 was shocking...there's no getting away from it. Anyone who picks IE6 over FF really needs their head looking at. However, IE7 is vastly superior to it's younger siblings. While not perfect and still open to security attacks (it's MS, it never will be 100%) it does the job asked of it very well.

I used FF up until about 1.5 then stopped using it just as IE7 hit Public Beta and FF2 was released. FF2 for me was shockingly bad. I found it buggy and unstable without any extentions installed on both my Home and Work PC.

Another reason is that I work in IT in a fully Microsoft enviroment. Although Firefox will work with certain MS technologies (WebDAV, OWA) you either need an extension to fudge the functionality or you just a ugly cut down version.

IE7 just works.

That's not to say I think Firefox is a waste of time, just for my own needs, IE does the job just fine.

Soldato
mrk said:
Why would you leave a browser open for a couple of days? browsers take not even a few seconds to load so there is no reason to keep it open especially Firefox as you can save sessions. I don't understand at all that people keep complaining about FF memory usage regarding this routine too :/

i have a few pc's so i can just leave all the sites i regularly visit open and have the auto refresh option in tabmix set, so i say to your question why not? :)

right now i can see my proc usage spiking to 50-60% on one core every few seconds, not only is that annoying it means scrolling pages is also extremely jerky when the spiking happens. the browser has been open for a day only.

you get what you pay for i guess :p

Back
Top Bottom