Ghost of Tsushima - directors cut

Soldato
My guess is this.
The gaming landscape has shifted and Sony are trying to adapt to it.

I suspect this as well but I just don't see how this is a good idea, we're already swimming in annoying 3rd party launchers.

I think they'd do better just releasing on Steam without PSN requirements, especially for single player games that don't need any online presence.

Soldato
I hate 3rd party launchers, but then again, I've lost count how many are installed on my gaming pc - Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, uplay...
I'm only interested in sinlgle player here, so hopefully PSN will not need to be added. I seem to have read that PSN is only needed if you want to play GoT multiplayer.

Soldato
I suspect this as well but I just don't see how this is a good idea, we're already swimming in annoying 3rd party launchers.

I think they'd do better just releasing on Steam without PSN requirements, especially for single player games that don't need any online presence.
The online presence will become mandatory in time, games will behind a subscription/paywall from then on imo.
Capcom has already started this trend charging for fast travel iirc.
I had to make a Rockstar account just to play Red Dead 2 even though I don't play the multiplayer.
Want to play Sony games? Sign up buy sub then play..

Soldato
The online presence will become mandatory in time, games will behind a subscription/paywall from then on imo.
Capcom has already started this trend charging for fast travel iirc.
I had to make a Rockstar account just to play Red Dead 2 even though I don't play the multiplayer.
Want to play Sony games? Sign up buy sub then play..

I'd probably just get them on the PS5 if this was the case, I don't mind having a PSN account but I don't really want another launcher thing on PC for it if it's a requirement.

PSN for stuff on PS5, Steam for stuff on PC is pretty much my preference these days!

Associate
I wouldn’t have a problem signing in with a PSN account if it did something useful like enable cross play or cross save, something I’d genuinely be interested in. But as others have said, I’m not interested in another launcher.

Associate
I might get this, i admit to knowing nothing about it except setting.
As someone who loves good combat and exploring more than story or lore im wondering if i will enjoy.

Soldato
As someone who loves good combat and exploring more than story or lore im wondering if i will enjoy.
I'm exactly the same and my bar is set high - Sekiro and Ninja Gaiden1/2... I think combat looks pretty good in this, but we'll need to try it firsthand:

Soldato
The combat isn't as deep as Sekiro for example, but the game is fun, and it's visually very, very good.

You can put it on hard and it will give you some challenge, but nothing on the level of Sekiro.

Soldato
Having played Ninja Gaiden1&2 after Sekiro, I now consider Sekiro's combat to be pretty shallow. (I've platinumed Sekiro and beaten all the gauntlet challenges, so I have some experience.) Sekiro has very few moves and combos, you're allowed one special move and the prosthetic is a crutch/gimmick. Where Sekiro is amazing is the flow of each fight against humanoid enemies. But, what you actually do in that flow is pretty limited. NG is much more open to improvisation and the range of combos and moves is way greater. GoT seems to be more like NG in this sense.

Challenge wise, I'll stick it on lethal and see how it goes.

My biggest fear is that GoT will feel like a Ubisoft game. Assassins' Creed with ninjas and samurai is something I would actually buy... but probably drop midway through the 3rd level :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm playing Nioh 2 and there is way more going on than Sekiro, but what Sekiro does right is that it places importance on how you position and react, you don't have 50 things you can do, so you focus on using your more limited move sets.

Nioh 2 gives a lot more options than Sekiro but also feels a lot more overwhelming as a result.

Still no boss or enemy in GoT was as tough as the bosses in Sekiro, at least on the hard difficulty I played on first time around.

Soldato
No game to date I have played can give you the same adrenaline rush as Sekiro.

When you fight Genichiro Ashina or the Great Ape and you are hanging on for dear life round after round on the edge of your seat knowing that nothing less than perfection will finally beat the boss after 100 tries it's truly exhilarating.

It's not about the simplicity or the complexity of a game. Sekiro is about the exhilaration and euphoria/relief of getting past a boss finally.

Elden Ring is hard but no where near as hard as Sekiro. So in that sense it gives you more of a sense of achievement.

GoT looks more Assassin Creed with Samurai in comparison. (Which I add isn't a bad thing)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sekiro is one of my favorite games and the ony platinum that I have in my Steam library, so I naturally agree :) My only point was that Ninja Gaiden1&2 are every bit as exhilirating as Sekiro, and more fun in the long term. Sekiro becomes too easy and mechanical once you get used to the bosses' rhythm, non boss enemies are trivial - you may even run past them if you wish. NG non boss sections are massive part of the challenge, and combat never becomes mechanical as combat is more aggressive, dynamic and unpredictable.

So yeah, GoT has big shoes to fill :) (I'm not setting it up for failure, I'll be happy with a different excellent game)

Last edited:
Soldato
The combat with GoT is all about choosing the correct stance for whichever enemy you’re fighting - I.e

• Stone Stance: effective against Swordsmen
  • Water Stance: effective against Shieldmen
  • Wind Stance: effective against Spearman
  • Moon Stance: effective against Brutes

It’s a fun combat system, but if you’re used to sekiro or even Elden ring you’re gonna find it a little easy.

Back
Top Bottom