Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Caporegime
Passable. As someone else mentioned it came across as a bit stranger things and was a bit too focused on the kids. Just felt like a kiddified version of the 1st 2 films. Never seen the 2016 one but will at some point now just to see how it compares to afterlife.

It's weird, people go ballistic over matrix and Spiderman just paying homage/fan service/references for large parts of their latest films whereas this does the same, in a PG type of way, and people lap it up. Are you all out of ghost busting hate after using it all up on the 2016 film :p

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
Passable. As someone else mentioned it came across as a bit stranger things and was a bit too focused on the kids. Just felt like a kiddified version of the 1st 2 films. Never seen the 2016 one but will at some point now just to see how it compares to afterlife.

It's weird, people go ballistic over matrix and Spiderman just paying homage/fan service/references for large parts of their latest films whereas this does the same, in a PG type of way, and people lap it up. Are you all out of ghost busting hate after using it all up on the 2016 film :p

rp2000

Been plenty of hate in reviews etc for "fan service", but a lot of the gb "fan service" is based on a lineage of tech and people involved, so a lot of it is expected to say the least.

As for the 2016 abomination, its like a slapstick version but painully unfunny. Melissa McCarthy's voice is shrill enough to become annoying inside of a few minutes.

Soldato
Fan service is important in a franchise and needs to be done right. I personally think Afterlife managed it perfectly. They need to acknowledge what came before it and make reference to important events and things that are important or that the franchise relies on. EG the Ecto and Proton Packs etc.

Soldato
I watched this last night, I thought it was brilliant, I dont mind fan service if its done well and this handled it very well. I hope it gets a sequel with same cast and directors.

Soldato
Fan service is important in a franchise and needs to be done right. I personally think Afterlife managed it perfectly. They need to acknowledge what came before it and make reference to important events and things that are important or that the franchise relies on. EG the Ecto and Proton Packs etc.
I must admit I was worried about the Stranger Things/Kiddie vibes I was getting on this early on during it's development until I saw interviews with Jason.R. It was clear he was clearly passionate about the entire franchise and he wanted to re-use a lot of assets as little easter eggs etc.

Upon watching some of the 4k, Atmos release on my AppleTV+ earlier the neon visuals not to mention the sounds of that proton pack being fired, and of course being switched on is orgasmic :p The architecture of Egon's house and barn has me quite curious - they resemble something I saw on a Real Ghostbusters episode but I need to do some hunting to find it. It is too familiar.

Yes the film has it's faults I won't deny that. Ivo Shandor was a waste of space - hell he was better in the video game. The Terror doggos were as useless as ever. I wanted to know more about the mine, Selenium and Ivo's mental state as the suicides happened.

Caporegime
OP
Yes the film has it's faults I won't deny that. Ivo Shandor was a waste of space - hell he was better in the video game. The Terror doggos were as useless as ever. I wanted to know more about the mine, Selenium and Ivo's mental state as the suicides happened.

I thought there was scope for (at the very least) flashbacks showing some of what was going on with Shandor in the past. It's strange how given he's responsible for the portals being built in the first place that he is only given (barely) a cameo role. I know the assembly cut of the movie was around 3 hours so i do wonder how much unused footage there may be of that character, if any. Would have been interesting to see rituals being performed etc in previous attempts to bring Gozer through.

The terror dogs i thought the same about, in the finale theyre as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, but the theory there is most of their energy is apparently dedicated to keeping Gozer in her "human" form, and when Gozer gets blasted they also feel the effects of it. Though, has to be said the movie did a bad job of showing that, in the final fight they just seem to stand around with no real obvious reason as to why when Gozer is getting taken down.

Soldato
I think the Shandor appearance was funny in a way. He dedicates his whole life to worshipping Gozer and trying to bring it to Earth, hoping that it would bestoe some great title or gifts on him. Only for her to rip him in half as she didn't actually need him for anything.

Caporegime
OP
I think the Shandor appearance was funny in a way. He dedicates his whole life to worshipping Gozer and trying to bring it to Earth, hoping that it would bestoe some great title or gifts on him. Only for her to rip him in half as she didn't actually need him for anything.

Theres that aspect of it i suppose, once the temples were built he was useless. But given his character in one way or another has been around since 84 it seemed a bit of a waste what they did with him.

What stopped Gozer on all the dates prior to 1984?

The dates are predictions of large scale events in the world that may or may not lead to a return of Gozer. Some being right, others being wrong.

Caporegime
Theres that aspect of it i suppose, once the temples were built he was useless. But given his character in one way or another has been around since 84 it seemed a bit of a waste what they did with him.

The dates are predictions of large scale events in the world that may or may not lead to a return of Gozer. Some being right, others being wrong.

Are they? My take from the film was large scale events on those dates which were caused by Gozer trying to come through.

Caporegime
OP
Are they? My take from the film was large scale events on those dates which were caused by Gozer trying to come through.

It was large events in world history that they linked to the possibility of Gozer returning. 1945 for example was presumably harkening to the 2 atom bombs dropped on Japan, which is obviously nothing to do with Gozer. The Tunguska blast was caused by a Meteor so another thing that rules Gozer out.

Thinking about it they all seem to refer to explosions, krakato eruption was an explosion, tunguska blast another explosion, 2 atom bombs, and the containment unit being shut down which led to an explosion. And a Sentry proton setup exploded before gozer appeared in afterlife.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Apparently topped 300 million worldwide.

jNNxFME.png

Not bad for a movie with a relatively small budget.

Ed: Might be a screw up somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
72million budget so x 2 with Marketing its doubled it's money not bad for covid box office.

I enjoyed it. Wasn't fantastic but a lot better than most soft reboots.

Back
Top Bottom