• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
SideWinder said:
Well, when the REAL benchmarks are released...it'll be interesting to see how they compare. :)

And lol at the date.

fake benchmarks are good enough, its all ati have at this moment and even the faked benchmarks don;t look that good for them.

Soldato
SteveOBHave said:
It seems that there is a name for the R600 - X2900

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38747

And Inquirer editing fails again -someone send them a proof reader:
Its part of the Inq style... the Inq wouldn't be the Inq without spelling and grammar mistakes everywhere. I've even heard it may be deliberate in some cases. ;)

Thats old news anyway, we knew the name long before that.

It does make you wonder why X2900 not X2800... is it to compete with a possible 8900, is it because they don't intend on releasing any other versions as they have a new architecture that will be ready to counter a possible 8900, or is it because the performance outstrips the 8800 enough that they're confident they won't need another variant of this architecture to counter a possible 8900...

One thing that does worry me about X2900 rather than X2800 though, is there's bound to be more revisions of it and it'll mean a confusing array of different letters after it. X2900 XTX Pro GT extreme super clocked golden sample OC GTX edition etc etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Probably months later as the 8800 Ultra is supposed to be coming out with the mid-range cards on the 17th so i cant see them replacing it a week later with the 8900 range, thats assuming it does come out on the 17th as its not official i dont think, just rumours, be a waste of time canning it after a week though. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
chaparral said:
I remember when they topped out at £70 for voodoo1 card,,£110 for voodoo2,,£90 for TNT,,,£160 for voodoo3..£220 for voodoo5 5500 etc

Oh leave it out. When they were brand new a voodoo1 was nowhere near £70 retail price, maybe a year or so down the line but certainly not in 1996.

Associate
and if this website cant remember the link the 8900 has 160 stream proccessor :eek: but they cant use them all becuase of the heat so thier trying to use a 80nm or maybe a 65nm core

Soldato
Perfect_Chaos said:
anyone have an idea if 8900 will be out straight after the r600 or months later?
They've had a lot of time to work on it so i reckon it will be shortly after, however AMD will likely release a faster variant of X2900 to counter it... that said, NV may concentrate on their low end stuff for a while, or they may decide to wait until the next architecture... who knows.
LoadsaMoney said:
Probably months later as the 8800 Ultra is supposed to be coming out with the mid-range cards on the 17th so i cant see them replacing it a week later with the 8900 range, thats assuming it does come out on the 17th as its not official i dont think, just rumours, be a waste of time canning it after a week though. :D
I did read rumours that they have been cherry picking 8800s for a while, presumably those will become 8800 Ultras., in which case as you say 8900 will probably be a while off, or they'll wait a while and go straight into the 9 series.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Joe42 said:
One thing that does worry me about X2900 rather than X2800 though, is there's bound to be more revisions of it and it'll mean a confusing array of different letters after it. X2900 XTX Pro GT extreme super clocked golden sample OC GTX edition etc etc.

Unfortunately we've got Nvidia to blame for that one... ever since the GF2 (mx/mx200/mx400/gts/pro/ti/ultra) they've gone a bit crazy with all the model numbers, although to be fair the gf3 range wasn't too bad. And then all the board partners pile in with their own special monikers on top.

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Bit of luck they may leave off rolling card after card for a change and concentrate on supporting the ones that are out with drivers, aye i know im ******* dreaming there. :D
I wish.
Thats the reason i'm still stuck with this ancient 6800. :(

Caporegime
LOL, find it funny a few years back ati were constatly slated with their drivers and nvidia drivers were considered the holy grail. Funny how things change over the course of a few years. :p

Soldato
a lot of focus will surely be on the drivers in the reviews I hope.... its quite possible ATI just got it right with the DX10/Vista drivers and maintaining there freatures/functions....

Having said that R600 could arrive and have even worser drivers ;) but I doubt it, give another 1-2 weeks.... gonna test another ATI card from work see if my TV/Mirroring output works on the ATI card... will definatly see if my GTX is going back soon in favour for an R600 ;)

Caporegime
Gerard said:
LOL, find it funny a few years back ati were constatly slated with their drivers and nvidia drivers were considered the holy grail. Funny how things change over the course of a few years. :p

Yeah boots on the other foot now, they just cant touch ATi in the driver dept, my last Nv cards were the Gf3/Gf4, drivers were spot on then, but wtf they doing now god only knows, its like they dont give a ****, 3x sets in over 5 months, and they crap, i was getting corruption in games with the 97.92's, random BSOD's with that NV4 error which apparently is one of the features of the 97.92's, what a joke, even Tom|Nbk got the random BSOD's nv4 error with the 97.92's as well, and you still get the same ppl raving about them, they must have never ever of had an ATi card, they must think Nv's shocking support on drivers is how it is, but it aint, their support is shocking, the drivers before these was January, they just don't care, least ATi release a new set every month, now thats driver support. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing to bear in mind is that the average bloke on the street won't really know much about driver quality. OK so cards like the 8800gtx and R600 are mainly focussed on the enthusiast market but I think we shouldn't be too hasty to write off NV on the basis of their drivers just yet. Poor drivers or not, the gf8 series wipes the floor with everything else on the market at the moment in terms of performance and that's enough to secure them sales, plus the "dx10 club" factor.

By getting their cards out months ahead of ATI, NV had been able to bring in a whole bunch of sales. Even if people jump ship to R600, it's not going to hurt them a great deal because they have already made their sales, and at a premium price too. That's the difference compared to the 8500/gf3 days; back then you had a clear choice and so driver quality came into it. For the last few months there's been no choice, either you have a gf8 or something slower.

Back
Top Bottom