• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

I am amazed that Farcry seems to be running so damn quick.

1920x1200, everything maxed. Full AF and FSAA yet its hovering around 100fps.

Is this right, are you guys seeing the same, I just find it hard to believe that enabling AF and FSAA has hardly no performance hit and the game is pumping out over 100fps.
I play Far Cry at 1920x1200, 16xQAA, 16xAF, everything max/ultra and I get 60~80 fps outdoors, and 140+ indoors (GTX at stock). That game is 3 years old now, so you really need to use STALKER, Gothic 3, or some other shader heavy game to test these cards.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Is this right, are you guys seeing the same, I just find it hard to believe that enabling AF and FSAA has hardly no performance hit and the game is pumping out over 100fps.
Give a copy away with every 8800gtx. :D

Associate
Gibbo,

You need to get Oblivion on the R600 rig. Its one of the few games complex enough to slap the 8800 around! Aren't ATi going to send you a game to test it with? If I was selling a GFX card, then I'd send each reviewer a game that I new worked flawlessly on my card and really showed it off. Maybe give ATi a ring, ask if they can put Oblivion/FEAR/CoH/STALKER in the post?

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Not got Farcry with me ATM, but don't you set the AF/AA BEFORE you start the game (configure etc)?, as i once set full aa/af, but didn't take effect in the game, it reads as "low/medium/high" etc. Sometimes the AA are "greyed-out" in the game...

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK sorted it, the NVIDIA drivers were preventing AA/AF been enabled even though it was set set to allow application on AUTO.

I've set the drivers to manual but set to let application decide and everything else on quality.

Now Farcry, DOOM3 are bringing the FPS quite down a lot on the test I have. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK some results from the GTX under XP:-

DOOM3 - 1600x1200, Ultra details and 8x filtering = 72fps
Farcry 1.4v with benchmark util (v1.8) - 1920x1200, Max details with 4x AA and 4x AF = 90fps
Farcry 1.4v with benchmark util (v1.8) - 1920x1200, Max details with 8x AA and 8x AF = 51fps

In the NVIDIA drivers everything is set to maximum or application controlled and the filter mode is set too super sampling which I believe is better quality but hits performance.

For Farcry I am using a benchmark programme which lets you select several time demos, I am using a demo called 3Dlabs research as it seems to be rather demanding compared to the other maps as can be seen from the results.

Associate
Looking good Mr Gibson. Do need something released in the last 12/24 months to really test it though ;) Or Oblivion :cool:

Do we think that anything less than a 20% boost, given the time the 8800 GTX has already been out, will be a failure from ATi?

Conversely will anything more 40% boost be considered an utter trouncing of NVidia? (don't want to be accused of Fanboism here ;) )

Associate
melbourne720 said:
Looking good Mr Gibson. Do need something released in the last 12/24 months to really test it though ;) Or Oblivion :cool:

Do we think that anything less than a 20% boost, given the time the 8800 GTX has already been out, will be a failure from ATi?

Conversely will anything more 40% boost be considered an utter trouncing of NVidia? (don't want to be accused of Fanboism here ;) )

I guess that depends what the 8800 Ultra's performance is. :p

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

OK some results from the GTX under XP:-

DOOM3 - 1600x1200, Ultra details and 8x filtering = 72fps
Farcry 1.4v with benchmark util (v1.8) - 1920x1200, Max details with 4x AA and 4x AF = 90fps
Farcry 1.4v with benchmark util (v1.8) - 1920x1200, Max details with 8x AA and 8x AF = 51fps

In the NVIDIA drivers everything is set to maximum or application controlled and the filter mode is set too super sampling which I believe is better quality but hits performance.

For Farcry I am using a benchmark programme which lets you select several time demos, I am using a demo called 3Dlabs research as it seems to be rather demanding compared to the other maps as can be seen from the results.

Just ran the same farcry test @ 1920x1200 "3Dnews research" map (was that the same?) at 8AF 8AA and got double Your score ! 101.96 FPS, on a X1950XTX crossfire System, What are we looking to prove here ?

Caporegime
JAKUS said:
Just ran the same farcry test @ 1920x1200 "3Dnews research" map (was that the same?) at 8AF 8AA and got double Your score ! 101.96 FPS, on a X1950XTX crossfire System, What are we looking to prove here ?

Nothing :confused:

Hes just getting the GTX benched for when his R600 arrives tomorrow (hopefully), so we get an idea how it performs. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
LoadsaMoney said:
Nothing :confused:

Hes just getting the GTX benched for when his R600 arrives tomorrow (hopefully), so we get an idea how it performs. :)

Hi there

So are my results way down for a GTX then?

It seems there are a lot of different settings available that can effect the results.

If 8x AF and 8x AA on an NV card the same as 8x AF and 8x AA on an ATI card?

On the ATI card I shall do the same as the NVIDIA one and set all settings to max quality or application controlled where applicable.

I did notice however on the Farcry benchmark when I set 16x AF and 8x AA the results go upto 130fps, so I am assuming it does not like those settings and is just defaulting them the AA and AF to off or lowest hence the silly high result.

P.S. In all honesty I am not good with the game benchmarking, far too many settings and I am not patient enough for it all. Just want a simple click and go test like 3D Mark, but the Fear and DOOM3 built in benchmarks are nice and easy.

OcUK Staff
OP
melbourne720 said:
Out of a choice between FEAR, Doom 3 and Far Cry, I think FEAR would be the best "Wash and Go" benchmark ;)

Hi there

Well ran Farcry with just 1x AF and No AA which is the lowest the benchmark programme allows. Same 1920x1200 resolution and maximum details gives a result of 138fps. That sound about right?
So 4x AF and 4x AA gets 90fps
And 8x AF and 8x AA gets 51fps

Here is the details from one of the benchmark runs:-

System Information
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP
System memory: 2.0 GB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz
CPU speed: 3020 MHz
Sound system: SB X-Fi Audio [BF00]
VGA Information
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Memory: 768.0 MB
Current GPU speed: 600 MHz
Current memory speed: 900 MHz
Driver version: 6.14.0010.9794 (English)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution: 1920 × 1200 (Custom)
Maximum quality option, Direct3D renderer
Level: Research, demo: 3dnews001.tmd
Pixel shader: default model
Antialising: 8×
Anisotropic filtering: 8×
HDR: disabled
Geometry Instancing: disabled
Normal-maps compression: disabled

Score = 50.84 FPS (Run 1)
Score = 51.07 FPS (Run 2)
Average score = 50.95 FPS