• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Who knows when its launched, ive asked a couple of times as the 23rd-24th April was confirmed, then unconfirmed reports started floating about saying 14th May now, but Gibbo aint said yet when it is, if its been confirmed for 23rd-24th then surely he can confirm that.

I want one, I am waiting desperatley for one, cash in bank ready. So, sorry guys, anything I want always takes longer to get here. (2 months longer than planned it took me to get my bike, but man, it was worth it :p )
Blame me, but I bet its now mid May :(

:D

Last edited:
be very interesting to see what the price will be especially once the 8900 series is around.

there is a rumour also flying around that crysis will be the game bundled with the r600.
iv come across that on a couple of forums now so it could be true. :confused:

Cyber-Mav said:
be very interesting to see what the price will be especially once the 8900 series is around.

there is a rumour also flying around that crysis will be the game bundled with the r600.
iv come across that on a couple of forums now so it could be true. :confused:

The XT or XT-X?, i could understand the XT-X but the XT is to close, if it is then SCORE!. :D

attachment.php

Lets see if this links. Apparently an R600. Notice the 8 and 6 pin PSU connections.

I am an 8800 GTX owner and you wont believe how badly i want ATI to release their card (for a good low price as well). Why you might wonder, well because Nvidia need a good kick up the rear to get something sorted with these drivers. I dont care what company i'm with, i really just want a card to do what it is supposed to the RIGHT WAY.
Going from poor driver releases by the green team i've got a small hunch that they are waiting for AMD's next move so that they can surprise them when the time comes. Also on a side note i wonder what Nvidia will do about those extra stream processors on the 8800 GTX, and if they are brought foward will this make an R600 seem a little less impressive on launch?

So many cards can be played right now, its not like any previous card releases iv followed before :confused:

TREE said:
Also on a side note i wonder what Nvidia will do about those extra stream processors on the 8800 GTX, and if they are brought foward will this make an R600 seem a little less impressive on launch?
I agree we need competition and I dont want to see either company get pushed out of the fight. However the r600 has 320 stream processors while currently the 8800 has less stream processors enabled than are already on the chip. The chip has 160 stream processors now but not all are enabled. The GTS has 96 and the GTX has 128 stream processors enabled.

I wanted to point that out cause what u said sounded like Nvidia would just need to enable some stream processors to have the most.

I mean "a little less impressive on launch"? ATI has 320 stream processors and Nvidia has 128 and can enabled up to 160 on a future card. How can Nvidia make the fact that they can enable up to 1/2 of the number of stream processors that ATI have enabled on R600, make R600 "less impressive".

How can Nvidia make the fact that they can enable up to 1/2 of the number of stream processors that ATI have enabled on R600, make R600 "less impressive".

sorry if i came across wrong, i dont think about it in terms of numbers of processors (thats kinda like the pentium GHz rubbish) making better performance. Going by what your information suggests, 1 stream processor on the Nvidia card processes more data than 1 of the R600's hence similar speculated performance numbers despite the R600 having 320 (if the R600 has that many) stream processors.
So in theory if their are more shaders activated on the Nvidia card, and from looking at benchmarks of 8800 GTS's vs GTX cards a small extra number of shaders CAN give a good boost in the G80's performance. Basically with that extra performance boost the difference in performance of an R600 and a G80 will be less and its even possible the G80 may perform a lot better than it does when shader intensive games are played.

Also im not sure where the 320 stream processor number came from but with i'v read the R600 is not a similar design to the G80 so it does not use stream processers and instead has 64 Shader pipelines (Vec4+Scalar) and a very large core frequency to enable plenty of computing clock cycles.

Last edited:
Sorry it just sounds like you are out to bash ATI new card no matter what. So what is your explaination that ATI was always on 16 pipelines and NV had 24 pipelines in previous generations? Logically from what you just said then ATI would have been more efficient, but judging by your last 2 posts you will just twist it again to make NV look better. :rolleyes:

Where did this 320 stream processor count come from? The last I heard was that the R600 had 64 stream processors in a unified architecture, with each processor being more complex than those found on the G80.

Back
Top Bottom