• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

the g80 core can only do 1 thingy(bit or whatever it does) per a stream proccessor
the r600 core can do 5 thingys (again have no idea what its called) per a stream proccessor

the g80 has 128 real life stream proccessors
the r600 has 64 real life stream proccessors
128x1=128
64x5=320

Oddly enough - the way I read this is ATI know the cards not as good as it should be and they're running a spoiler for the new NVidia launch on 17/4/07, hoping to snag in a few folks with a lower than anticipated price.

Given the somewhat lacking price/performance ratio of the 8600GTS, I think I'd want to wait until several other people had these before spending my money.

Last edited:
Tom|Nbk said:
Exactly the last minute delay really has helped them turn things around for the better, and everyone can now see why they did it.
So what you think this 6 to 9 month delay has made so good about the R600.... :confused:

It's still 80nm
Runs hotter then a 6month old 8800gtx
uses more power then then a 6month old 8800gtx
about same performance as then a 6month old 8800gtx (from what been said so far)
Has 256mb less memory then a 6month old 8800gtx
has onboard audio which will most likely be the same chip as about 90% of motherboards already use..
it meant to support audio through the HDMI cable (but what use is this went the HDMI cable is plugged into a PC monitor :confused: )

About the only thing good about it i can see so far,is it going to be about 50 quid cheaper then a 8800gtx

Last edited:
It will be useful having on board sound for when making a media centre pc & attaching it an HDTV. But then, when I have my HDTV I'll be using external sound so it'll render the on board sound useless again :confused:

Vogon said:
Are you also saying that we need new amps ?? I can feed a 5.1 signal into mine via optical or RF (even analogue if I must), either RF or optical sound perfectly good to me
There will be four options.

1) Get a new amp.

2) The discs will probably have both old and new format soundtracks (in the same way as DVDs currently have, say, one DD and one DTS track, or one stereo track and one 5.1 track). So you can simply tell the player to play the basic DD or DTS version.

3) The player will probably be able to downsample the HD audio formats to a current-gen format on the fly.

4) You could use the analogue outputs from the player.

jaykay said:
the g80 core can only do 1 thingy(bit or whatever it does) per a stream proccessor
the r600 core can do 5 thingys (again have no idea what its called) per a stream proccessor

the g80 has 128 real life stream proccessors
the r600 has 64 real life stream proccessors
128x1=128
64x5=320
But the Nvidia ones operate at almost double the clock-speed, and it's easier to keep them operating at close to full-capacity than is the case for ATI; so, in pactice, the performance will be about equal.

nicolasb said:
But the Nvidia ones operate at almost double the clock-speed, and it's easier to keep them operating at close to full-capacity than is the case for ATI; so, in pactice, the performance will be about equal.
Yeah, I mean a C2D at 2.4GHz is so much worse than a 3.0Ghz P4.

Cyber-Mav said:
There is a rumour also flying around that crysis will be the game bundled with the r600.
iv come across that on a couple of forums now so it could be true. :confused:

I didn't think Crysis was due out for ages ?

WoZZeR said:
I have the pennies in my savings account but am a bit torn between the R600 and the 65nm XT-X when it arrives.
Presumably the XT-X will be more power efficient too.

Not certain the XTX will be 65nm, but it makes sense and would explain the delay, I don't think GDDR4 is the hold up ?

XT @ 280 inc with Crysis bundled = me sold :D
Then I can sell it on when the XTX is out ;)

Last edited:
This Ati - Nvidia tit for tat does tickle me! G80 was a massive step forward for NV, like the 9700pro was for ati in the day. R600 is very late and playing catch up really, NV has a 6 month lead into the next gen G90 which will proberly take the crown yet again. Ati have been involved in X-Box and the sales far exceed the high end desktop market. we also have the nex gen X-box 360 upgrade in 6 months. I have no dout the R600 will be quick and have a few frame's more speed in some games or maybe a 10% speed advantage overall, but although ive been Ati since the 9700pro to X1900 XT-X i have been enjoying my 8800GTX because NV got it right in the G80. 3d mark this that and the other mean nothing untill a DX10 true benchmark apear's!

we need a DX 10 bench to really see a true diffrence and of course some games in DX10 plus its the mid range cards that will hold the key for both companys as that is where most sales come from and again overall NV variants of G80 are already in the market place with G90 hot on its heel's. The best thing is we still have compitition between these 2 GFX card companys and no matter who's side your on they both produce great cards for us few high end fanatic's! maybe we are enjoying PC gaming's heyday as consoles will one day rule gaming and its products including GFX of the future! which will no dout have both these companys involved. Ati has the best advantage here with X box at the moment, but i will not be getting a R600 upgrade unless it can offer the same advantge a 8800GTX did 6 months ago.

looking forward to seeing what it can do!

Last edited:
vapor matt said:
we also have the nex gen X-box 360 upgrade in 6 months.
:eek:
I don't belive this...You got a link for this.....

The only thing i seen is that microsoft are bringing out a black xbox360 with a HDMI output and 120gb harddrive...

Last edited:
chaparral said:
So what you think this 6 to 9 month delay has made so good about the R600.... :confused:

It's still 80nm
Runs hotter then a 6month old 8800gtx
uses more power then then a 6month old 8800gtx
about same performance as then a 6month old 8800gtx (from what been said so far)
Has 256mb less memory then a 6month old 8800gtx
has onboard audio which will most likely be the same chip as about 90% of motherboards already use..
it meant to support audio through the HDMI cable (but what use is this went the HDMI cable is plugged into a PC monitor :confused: )

About the only thing good about it i can see so far,is it going to be about 50 quid cheaper then a 8800gtx

Right;

A. We don't know the exact power requirements it's all in the air.
B. No one know's how hot this card will run in comparison to the GTX, there has been NO talk of this.
C. It may have same or better performance than the GTS but its the price/performance ATi are going for on this card, offer a card that can beat anything NV have out atm for the price of GTS.
D. Not one single game uses more than 512mb and that won't change for this year, frankly im glad to be offered a cheaper card with less memory that I don't really need.
E. The HDMI sound solution is meant to be used for a HDTV, not a monitor. No body know's much about this yet, I'd wait for more confirmation about it.

The fact is ATi are offering this card which will either be the same perf or beat the GTX for the price of GTS, they wouldn't have been able to do this 9 month's earlier. ATi are also offering much better IQ with this card (24xAA) etc. Im all for it.

Tom|Nbk said:
Right;

A. We don't know the exact power requirements it's all in the air.
B. No one know's how hot this card will run in comparison to the GTX, there has been NO talk of this.
C. It may have same or better performance than the GTS but its the price/performance ATi are going for on this card, offer a card that can beat anything NV have out atm for the price of GTS.
D. Not one single game uses more than 512mb and that won't change for this year, frankly im glad to be offered a cheaper card with less memory that I don't really need.
E. The HDMI sound solution is meant to be used for a HDTV, not a monitor. No body know's much about this yet, I'd wait for more confirmation about it.

The fact is ATi are offering this card which will either be the same perf or beat the GTX for the price of GTS, they wouldn't have been able to do this 9 month's earlier. ATi are also offering much better IQ with this card (24xAA) etc. Im all for it.

I think Gibbo knows how this card is doing, we will know when the NDA is lifted :D, not long now.

Back
Top Bottom