• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

no_1_dave said:
It will be useful having on board sound for when making a media centre pc & attaching it an HDTV. But then, when I have my HDTV I'll be using external sound so it'll render the on board sound useless again :confused:

But no-one in their right mind is going to use an R600 for a HTPC :confused: bearing in mind the heat, the power draw and the size.

Shame we don't have any confirmation on launch, Im taking it that the card will be available after the launch part in a few weeks? other than that, nothing. If the card does launch in a few weeks the NDA could be lifted this week?, Gibbo clearly knows more shame we can't get any information out him :mad: :p

VaderDSL said:
But no-one in their right mind is going to use an R600 for a HTPC :confused: bearing in mind the heat, the power draw and the size.

May not use the premium R600 you are correct - but seeing as the core has the soundcard already - all of the R600 range will have inbuilt sound (from what I have read elsewhere here) so making the mid/low end cards ideal for HTPC

Tom|Nbk said:
Right;

A. We don't know the exact power requirements it's all in the air.
B. No one know's how hot this card will run in comparison to the GTX, there has been NO talk of this.
C. It may have same or better performance than the GTS but its the price/performance ATi are going for on this card, offer a card that can beat anything NV have out atm for the price of GTS.
D. Not one single game uses more than 512mb and that won't change for this year, frankly im glad to be offered a cheaper card with less memory that I don't really need.
E. The HDMI sound solution is meant to be used for a HDTV, not a monitor. No body know's much about this yet, I'd wait for more confirmation about it.

The fact is ATi are offering this card which will either be the same perf or beat the GTX for the price of GTS, they wouldn't have been able to do this 9 month's earlier. ATi are also offering much better IQ with this card (24xAA) etc. Im all for it.

A..I still think the R600 is going to use more power then a 8800gtx

B..gibbo quoted it ran hotter then a 8800gtx..

C...I hope it a lot faster then a GTS (gts are only about £170)You think this card going be less then that..

D...How do you know dx10 games like crysis are not going be able to use more then 512mb at high res/high AA/AF settings ??

E...Even HDTV only have crap stereo sound builtin...

No one seen the IQ on the r600 (apart from gibbo)...so how can it be fact that it much better then a 8800gtx.Till it's been released i would not take anything said so far as FACT..

Last edited:
chaparral said:
A..I still think the R600 is going to use more power then a 8800gtx

B..gibbo quoted it ran hotter then a 8800gtx..

C...I hope it a lot faster then a GTS (gts are only about £170)You think this card going be less then that..

D...How do you know dx10 games like crysis are not going be able to use more then 512mb at high res/high AA/AF settings ??

E...Even HDTV only have crap stereo sound builtin...

No one seen the IQ on the r600 (apart from gibbo)...so how can it be fact that it much better then a 8800gtx.Till it's been released i would not take anything said so far as FACT..

first off, were gonna have to stop referring to all ATIs new cards as R600, lets try XT, XT-X and such, the XT is the 512mb one thats said to be similar in cost to 8800GTS but slightly better performance than the GTX (look at gibbos thread, 1 - 10 scale, 5 being GTX he gave it a 6 i think), so power is gonna be similar to the GTX, heat, well how many of you have cool running ATI cards (not watercooled), the XT sounds like a hell of a card, makes me regret buying my 8800GTS to be honest, though they'll proberbly be around 8800GTS 640 money

chaparral said:
This maybe possible with a 8800gtx SLI setup ???

Well 16xAA was previously only available with SLi untill the 8800's so as far as I know its only 16xAA even with SLi.

I wonder if 16XQAA equals ATi's R600 (X2900XT) 24x AA though, I know that 16xQAA makes me lag allot and even 8xQAA makes me lag were as 16xAA doesent in games like TDU.

chaparral said:
I don't know if it still like this...

But a few years ago..Nvidia 2xAA or almost equal ATI 4xAA ...

Yes was why nvidia use to get a bigger loss hit in FPS with AA on compared to ATI
What? Nvidia 2xAA was nothing like ATI 4xAA, 2xAA was always practically identical on both cards. The only major differences were that ATI cards could do 6xAA and Nvidia cards had 'S' and 'Q' rendering modes.

2xAA is 2xAA, all it does is render each pixel four times. Just like 24xAA is 24xAA.

As for why Nvidia cards had a bigger performance hit with antialiasing, that's simply because ATI cards have a tendancy to have more raw shader power than their Nvidia equivalents. Nvidia lean toward more efficient architecture over raw power, this is also why Nvidia cards tend to be cooler and less power hungry.

Last edited:
Tom|Nbk said:
Right;

D. Not one single game uses more than 512mb and that won't change for this year, frankly im glad to be offered a cheaper card with less memory that I don't really need.
WTF?
At 1920x1200 and max details, STALKER uses 620Mb+ (just in the start area alone) and the ARMA Demo (helicopter mission) uses all 768Mb of my GTX, plus 100Mb of system ram.

FrankJH said:
May not use the premium R600 you are correct - but seeing as the core has the soundcard already - all of the R600 range will have inbuilt sound (from what I have read elsewhere here) so making the mid/low end cards ideal for HTPC
The 'soundcard' is not part of the R600 core, it's a seperate chip which can be added to any gfx card.

Powercolor have added it to the X1600 Pro already:
powercolor.jpg

Back
Top Bottom