• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
neo202020 said:
I have been, and I've participated in the discussion too. I was just reminding you that the vast majority of people don't care about crossfire/sli and the vast majority of the majority who don't care don't even know they exist. The SLI/Crossfire market is an enthusiast market, most people who consider having Sli/Crossfire know a bit about it.

True. Having the ability to run something in the future is always a great selling point though.

neo202020 said:
I remember having a conversation with a co-worker who was about to spend over a grand on an I-book. I asked him why he had decided to buy one of them instead of a PC and he said "Well, I've got this friend and she's got this I-book, right, and it, like, well, it like works SO WELL!"

True again. Word of mouth is a powerful selling tool.

Associate
The Asgard said:
Word of mouth is a powerful selling tool.

It is but it's not the point I was trying to make. The reason I gave that example is because it shows that most people don't make their decision on the basis of performance but on the basis of some notion which cannot be quantified and is therefore inaccurate.

It's like the new Mac vs PC adverts. The Mac's supposed advantages is that is allows you to do things like work on photos, video etc...all things you can do perfectly well on a PC. (I'm not saying the Mac doesn't have advantages over a PC btw)

I think given what is known about Sli/Crossfire at this stage only people deceived by the purple-shirt brigade with money to waste would go for it and thankfully such people are not particularly numerous. :)

Associate
Just because minors cannot afford such prices does not mean they "don't know about SLI/Crossfire". I bet there is a vast majority of kids out there who know SLI/Crossfire better than ATI/Nvidia support team. However, since they do not earn to spend, they are ignored.

Associate
The Asgard said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the new Xfire could run on any board including Nvidia ??
There was some discussion a while back about a new, unified multi-GPU specification that would be compatible with both ATI and Nvidia products. However, any motherboards built to this spec would probably be incopmpatible with both Crossfire and SLI on current-generation cards. Either way, it's nothing to do with present-generation cards, it's more to do with not-as-yet-designed motherboards.

Associate
nicolasb said:
There was some discussion a while back about a new, unified multi-GPU specification that would be compatible with both ATI and Nvidia products. However, any motherboards built to this spec would probably be incopmpatible with both Crossfire and SLI on current-generation cards. Either way, it's nothing to do with present-generation cards, it's more to do with not-as-yet-designed motherboards.

I think you can be sure it would be too expensive, too buggy or both to sell in large numbers tho'.

Soldato
I cant see any reason why it would, its just down to them protecting their own market.
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the cards talk to each other via the PCI-E bus ... just by their connectors ?
As I have an SLi board ATM ... if ATI made Xfire work on those, they would sell 2 cards :D

Associate
Even without an NDA, in the UK there is law covering confidentiality. If you say something to someone in confidence, then that person is oblidged by law to keep it secret, unless is illegal or threatens national security etc.

Basically, you can go to court if you don't keep it secret :)

Soldato
drak3 said:
Even without an NDA, in the UK there is law covering confidentiality. If you say something to someone in confidence, then that person is oblidged by law to keep it secret, unless is illegal or threatens national security etc.

Basically, you can go to court if you don't keep it secret :)
In this case it's a signed, non-legally binding agreement with a company to keep their "trade secrets" to yourself and doesn't result in prosecution if broken.

If broken though, chances of getting a piece of hardware early again are practically nil as most companies would black-list somebody for doing such things.

Permabanned
Perfect_Chaos said:
What if someone in posession of an early card for testing, signed up to another forum under a different name and posted the card details along with pics etc?

how can they be caught if nobody can prove who leaked the info?

methinks they would still suspicious. It aint worth it for Gibbo. What would he be achieving. He would recieve no credit, being in someone elses name

Hell even the fact that you have said it, they would cross reference.

They dont need proof, just suspision (like an insurance company :D)

Back
Top Bottom